WesternOutlaw

Abandoned Station

indexed.gif

Grave Stone Abandoned Station

The clock is nearing midnight... An Abandoned Station stands along the rusty tracks of Grave Stone. Jebediah's last words were "I'll be dead before this train comes". Who would have guessed he was right? There's one ticket out of Grave Stone that can be found within the decrepit walls of the Abandoned Station; but this ticket is for a special ride, a ride on the haunted Ghost Train. In order to redeem the ticket, one must wait between 11:00 PM and midnight at the station. The only problem is that there are other less-sightly creatures that are also trying to escape Grave Stone, and they will kill for a ticket aboard the Ghost Train. And what ghastly train stops at an Abandoned Station within Grave Stone?

Do you dare wait until midnight to find out...

My latest Grave Stone MOC, the Abanondoned Station. Here's a sneek peak. I'll share more images tomorrow.

trainstationfinal.jpg

Awesome job there, Brickster! I love reading the haunting backstories, they really add a chilling atmosphere to the MOCs making them that much cooler, and this one is certainly no exception. The colours you've chosen for this MOC fit in nicely with the dark style of Grave Stone and look fantastic as well, especially that dark orange. Can't wait for more pics!

~Peace

That looks great Brickster! A very fitting and nice use of colours, and the story is very... chilling. :grin: My only question is, where are the train tracks? :tongue:

This is incredible! :wub: I think this is my favorite work of yours and one of the best Wild West MOCs I've seen. It really fleshes out your Grave Stone Theme. That's a great clock sticker. Is it a custom? I was actually looking through Google for Wild West inspiration and stumbled across quite a few pics of buildings similar in shape to this. After doing that research, I find you MOC here very accurate for the time period and style. It has just the right amount of creepy with the boarded up second floor and owl. I especially like how tall the first floor is. It gives the whole MOC an exaggerated, almost cartoony look that fits your theme well too. But nothing beats that optimistic grinning skeleton waiting for his delayed train. Hang in there pal, it'll come some day. Just believe...

Excellent work. Thanks for sharing it with us!

This Ghost Town train station looks :wub: from outside, TheBrickster!

This is incredible! :wub: I think this is my favorite work of yours and one of the best Wild West MOCs I've seen. It really fleshes out your Grave Stone Theme.

I totally agree with you, Hinckley!

It is very well and lovely designed - mainly with the big balcony, the black roof and the nice big clock on it :thumbup: . And the story which belongs to it is very well written - my blood runs cold :oh: !

I can't wait to see more pics! :sweet:

BTW: Will you design a Ghost Train, too, since you mentioned one in the story? - That would be awesome!

Klaus-Dieter

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

I thought I was the only one buying up the dark orange, it's great to see it used so appropriately! This MOC is almost a shopping list of parts I need to pick up. Brown lattice windows, printed planks, curved fences... Hey, what's that over there? *points, then grabs the MOC and runs while everyone is distracted* :grin:

From the chilling story to the desolate surroundings and ghostly luggage, this has it all. I have to wonder if the Grave Stone story could be featured in a book one day, your creations tell quite a tale.

Until then, I can't wait to see the rest of the station!

That's a great clock sticker. Is it a custom?

If I'm not mistaken it's been edited in, and it's not actually there in the bricks. But I could be wrong.

~Peace

This is a really cool MOC Brickster! I love the story behind it and the clock. I can't wait for tomorrow!

Great job!

Dr. Brick

Well done Brickster, you just keep churning out the cool MOC's and storyline to boot.

Its gonna be tough making an entirely transparent 'ghost' train :classic:

Simply beautiful TheBrickster, your talent never ceases to amaze me! This is easily one of my top favourites so far, what brilliant construction and appropriate piece use here. The little details like the waiting Jebediah, rifle, scorpion and barrels really give a good detailed feel. Great use of dark orange, I wish I had more of that colour, it fits in perfectly here and the railing looks right in place. The windows and doors look great as well, very wild west and old time, especially the awesome touch of the wooden boards in front of them.

The spider is great too, I wish I had one in that colour. One little criticism is the frown door on the second floor, I don't care much about old and new colours mixing but I think it looks a little out-of-place. I didn't notice the owl for a while either, I like that. The roof I really like too, a very clean and good looking design that really adds to the feel and atmosphere of the station. Now I know the sign and clock are edited in, but they do look very fantastic, brilliant work.

Overall I very much love this moc, I never get tired of Grave Stone and they give me a heap of inspiration so thankyou TheBrickster, I hope you do make this Ghost Train!

Batbrick Away! :devil:

Very cool MOC Sir! :classic:

As said, building style and use of colors are perfect for the ghost town of yours, and the little backstory you provided makes looking at the MOC even more exiting :thumbup:

Best regards, Benny

Thank you all for the excellent feedback. I was trying to take images of this MOC late last night and my lighting was really bad. I'll share some more photos this afternoon and provide a longer response when I have more time.

In regard to the clock tower and sign, both are actually custom decals (the clock actually clip art I found on the web).

Here's a close-up image:

stat1.jpg

The sign:

stat2.jpg

And good ol' Jebediah waiting on the train:

stat3.jpg

As I was printing the decals, I ran out of a few colors (6-ink cartridge printer) making the sign much darker (it was intended to be brown). But as I said, I'll take some better images this afternoon. I should mention, I like the end product of this MOC, but I really had a lot of difficulty in photographing. I think it looks much better when you see the actual MOC. I hope the lighting does the trick.

That new brown looks funny for some reason. I think it must be the lighting, because all the colors look a bit off.

I think it needs some more of the dark orange. Those few large pieces really stand out.

The architecture is great though.

Steve

A fantastic and plain charming work in a fine color scheme and with a wonderful atmosphere of abandonment indeed,

and a great background story too! :thumbup:

Thanks again everyone for the great feedback

I was actually looking through Google for Wild West inspiration and stumbled across quite a few pics of buildings similar in shape to this. After doing that research, I find you MOC here very accurate for the time period and style.

HINCKLEY: I do the same thing Hinck, and this was no exception. This was initially intended to be a hotel, but I've built enough hotels for Grave Stone, so I turned it into a Train Depot. Coming from someone who's got a lot of Lego-building talent, I really appreciate your positive comments. Thanks.

Will you design a Ghost Train, too, since you mentioned one in the story? - That would be awesome!

KLAUS-DIETER: I've been wanting to do one for a long time now KD. I may have to break out the track and pieces and do so soon. While I really love the Train Theme, none of my trains have ever come out well. This is a tough challenge for me.

I have to wonder if the Grave Stone story could be featured in a book one day, your creations tell quite a tale.

IMPERIALSHADOWS: Thanks IS. I had intended to do some kind of story-book. I put together a small one last year similar to how my web-page reads, with images of each MOC, then the story - used a lot of ink. I think I've spent as much time writing about Grave Stone as I have building the various structures of the town.

your talent never ceases to amaze me! This is easily one of my top favourites so far, what brilliant construction and appropriate piece use here.

BATBRICK: Awesome compliment! Thanks for continuing to review my work and your constructive criticism is welcome. I often times blend the new brown with the old brown (perhaps I'm color-blind, or just don't care about mixing the two together). I did the same thing with my Nightmare Stagecoach. I don't have an issue with mixing the colors. I see that Athos commented about it as well.

I SCREAM CLONE: Its gonna be tough making an entirely transparent 'ghost' train :classic:

Actually, I was thinking black and brown. I'm still debating on the colors. Black gets a bit boring.

Again, thank you all for taking the time to comment on this MOC. More pictures coming soon.

EDIT: More Pictures!

A long wait:

005.jpg

Close-up:

006.jpg

Right Side:

009.jpg

Front View:

002.jpg

I'm not sure why (probably the lighting), but my camera seems to be blurring lately. These at least give you a better idea re. the size and various dimensions.

In regard to the clock tower and sign, both are actually custom decals (the clock actually clip art I found on the web).

It works really well! I never would have picked that as clip art.

ne/GraveStoneStation/stat3.jpg[/img]

As I was printing the decals, I ran out of a few colors (6-ink cartridge printer) making the sign much darker (it was intended to be brown). But as I said, I'll take some better images this afternoon. I should mention, I like the end product of this MOC, but I really had a lot of difficulty in photographing. I think it looks much better when you see the actual MOC. I hope the lighting does the trick.

It looks fine to me! I don't think anyone but you would notice.

Brickster, your MOC never failed to impress me :sweet:

Looking at your station indeed give me an insight into the World of Wild West. I like the chill feel from your station. The wooden brown bricks is done in a very nice manner. Just to ask, it seemed that you had used orange bricks to complement the pillars and the balcony. Nothing wrong with that, it looks abit wierd to me. :tongue:

On the second level, I like the way you used the wood to seal off the windows and door. Why you used white suitcase? I thought in that era, they should be using black suitcase? Well, I supposed it is to match with the skelle beside it :wink:

Brickster, your MOC never failed to impress me

Thanks WhiteFang. Comments like yours really make me feel like the creation is appreciated.

Just to ask, it seemed that you had used orange bricks to complement the pillars and the balcony. Nothing wrong with that, it looks abit wierd to me. :tongue:

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. The pillars and railing are both Dark Orange. That's the only use of dark orange in the MOC?

Why you used white suitcase? I thought in that era, they should be using black suitcase? Well, I supposed it is to match with the skelle beside it :wink:

Good catch. I'm sure I have other colors, but I didn't have any handy. I just added the white one for a little additional detail.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. The pillars and railing are both Dark Orange. That's the only use of dark orange in the MOC?

Hmm, I thought it was light orange instead of dark orange. Guess, it is the lighting that give me the wrong look. :tongue:

On the other hand, I rarely used orange. Or in fact, never before. :look:

Guess, it is the lighting that give me the wrong look. :tongue:

I'm really having lighting/camera problems getting this MOC captured. That's probably what it is.

Here's a WW moc that uses regular orange:

barnhousea2-400.jpg

I think the dark orange is a great color for Wild West MOCs. It blends nicely with tan, brown, and black.

I have to disagree with the folk that don't like the colors on this. I think it's a great palette, Brickster. Dark Orange is an extremely under-appreciated color. I think it's easy to overuse it or mix it in with colors it doesn't compliment, but you've used it really well here. Dark Orange On! :sweet::thumbup: Thank you very much for the nice compliment earlier too. That means a lot coming from an expert builder like you. :blush:

Oh, it appears I was mistaken! Great to see you're using decals now, they look fantastic! I honestly thought they had been edited in, they're flawless! :thumbup: :thumbup:

~Peace

Edited by iamded

I like the Abandoned Station very much because it appears sooooooooooooo realistic! Very nice MOC! Very big compliment to you! :thumbup:. I like these WW sets!

One question, TheBrickster:

You wrote about a ticket which alows you to take the ghost train. So I'm very surprised how the interior og your great Abandonned Station looks like - or hasn't it got an interior?

Klaus-Dieter