Sign in to follow this  
TalonCard

Pirates scenes from the LEGO House

Hey all,

Last October, I took a trip to Germany to see my brother, and we made a little detour to Billund.  :grin:  Okay, so we kind of went out of our way to go.  :laugh:  My brother was kind enough to take detailed pictures of all the Pirates related displays. I put them up on Flickr, but here are some highlights:

In the center of the LEGO House is a massive tree, with branches displaying classic LEGO themes from throughout the years. @Robin_IV shared a Beyond the Brick video about the addition of a Pirate branch in 2019 a while back in the Speculation thread, here's a closer look:

49633993308_85dca4cdfe_c.jpg

49633993178_b36c2aaa0b_c.jpg

49633992863_4d7f131cb0_c.jpg

I like the little Smugglers Shanty camp here:

49634516306_210dd9bebd_c.jpg

The details on the firing cannon and water splashes are a lot of fun too:

49634515716_e2ccdb7955_c.jpg

(That tricorn appeared to be white in the display, rather than tan as in the Queen Anne's Revenge, possibly a non production part.)

The Imperial port was nicely detailed; I think we'd all like to see a set like this:

49634789102_94ee436f3a_c.jpg

There was also a large island display, which featured a AFOL-designed Pirate ship in celebration of the 30th anniversary of the Pirates theme!

49633993428_a83a26ec2a_c.jpg

There are more pictures on Flickr, but one fun thing about the island was that one half was LEGO, and the other half was Duplo. The Duplo side also had a pirate ship (which I'd never seen in person before) with figures from the Duplo Pirate and Jake and the Neverland Pirates themes. Gotta get more of those some day.

Captain Hook also made a cameo appearance. :laugh:

49634789097_aff9b6ddb3_c.jpg

Edited by TalonCard

Thank you for those pictures, it's awesome!

First time I look closely at a Lego House display, I amazed how they have combined official sets with other builds. The fortress fits so well in the port! By the way it seems blue coats and red coats are working together in this display.

The shades of water are done completely differently depending on the scenes but I like them all :pir_laugh2:

I'm in love with the battle. It's so dynamic with the water splashes and the canon firing. I would just have swapped the Barracuda for the Skulled eye schooner  to bring more cannons to that battle :pir-wub:. If one day I get some ships at a good prices (still praying for a re-release of the imperial flagship), I totally would display them like this.

Does anybody knows how do they light everything? I don't see any wires going to the wall torches. Do they have specifically pierced pieces ?

Awesome!

Thank You!

:pir-sweet:

On 3/9/2020 at 6:51 AM, TalonCard said:

There was also a large island display, which featured a AFOL-designed Pirate ship in celebration of the 30th anniversary of the Pirates theme!

49633993428_a83a26ec2a_c.jpg

This ship, with 2-3 more middle hull pieces, would be perfect!

Pity we can not zoom in more, to see the details clearly.

Edited by Brickander Brickumnus

8 hours ago, CaptainMoore said:

By the way it seems blue coats and red coats are working together in this display.

As far as LEGO was concerned, they were always part of the same faction, with the Bluecoats answering to the local governor and the Redcoats being the elite Imperial Guard. Fans do love to pit them against each other anyway. ;)

8 hours ago, CaptainMoore said:

Does anybody knows how do they light everything? I don't see any wires going to the wall torches. Do they have specifically pierced pieces ?

The lighting is quite magical!  The wires are very, very thin, and while I'm sure they had to put holes in some pieces, they wouldn't need to be much larger than pinholes. A lot of the wiring was carefully placed along where bricks were joined to each other, so it was almost invisible, especially at a distance. Very clever stuff; it sold me on lighting my models one day.

20 hours ago, TalonCard said:

As far as LEGO was concerned, they were always part of the same faction, with the Bluecoats answering to the local governor and the Redcoats being the elite Imperial Guard. Fans do love to pit them against each other anyway. ;)

I wasn't aware of that, it always was strange to me that there were so many factions (pirates, islanders, bluecoats and redcoats). I guess it's more simple this way :)

20 hours ago, TalonCard said:

The lighting is quite magical!  The wires are very, very thin, and while I'm sure they had to put holes in some pieces, they wouldn't need to be much larger than pinholes. A lot of the wiring was carefully placed along where bricks were joined to each other, so it was almost invisible, especially at a distance. Very clever stuff; it sold me on lighting my models one day.

I really would like to look closely at what they did. Now that I think of it, I have a Tetris lamp which lights up thanks to conductive paint, it could be a way to do it too.

2 hours ago, CaptainMoore said:

I wasn't aware of that, it always was strange to me that there were so many factions (pirates, islanders, bluecoats and redcoats). I guess it's more simple this way :)

In my Lego Pirate realm there's even two different factions of Pirates, one led by Redbeard and the renegades led by Ironhook to take over leadership in the Pirate council :) 

My gosh what an amazing display of effort, fun and charm! So this is where the macaws get to....

It's the cockatoos and hornbills that have me stay to knighthood. I just could not be turned into an eagle, leopard, or even shark. (although with practical reasonings thought of now it'd be Polish wolf, Sable, or Tree Viper - like Malabar, or Brown Spotted Tree Viper. Jolly good to have sharpened my sword some more. Marvelous. Malayan Pit Viper, voyaging; you buckaroos.)

Edited by Viper Knight

6 hours ago, Medzomorak said:

In my Lego Pirate realm there's even two different factions of Pirates, one led by Redbeard and the renegades led by Ironhook to take over leadership in the Pirate council :) 

My personal headcanon,  the CMF Pirate Captain is Captain Foul, and Using elements from the 2015 run, I made his right hand man, Culverin as well.

Don't want to go too off topic from Pirates , but.

That amusement park ride on the last photo , right behind the Pirate Flag, the Swing Ride with the planet on top.

Really looks like the rumoured discussed Creator Expert set, might be an upscaled version, but still looks very much the same thing.

Edited by TeriXeri

15 hours ago, Medzomorak said:

Oh I forgot about him, I also have considered him as the enemy of Redbeard when I was young, I didn't have Red or bluecoats.

On 3/9/2020 at 9:02 PM, TalonCard said:

That's exactly how I imagined it as a kid (and adult... ).

On the other hand, if I had all the sets (or the main big ones, especially the ships and forts) maybe I would have done sub-splits too.

5 hours ago, Brickander Brickumnus said:

That's exactly how I imagined it as a kid (and adult... ).

On the other hand, if I had all the sets (or the main big ones, especially the ships and forts) maybe I would have done sub-splits too.

I think it has been debated here on Eurobricks a couple of years ago. The official Lego catalogs named the bluecoat governor Broadside whide the redcoat admiral Woodhouse. Quite british names. Someone had also pointed out that the Bluecoat lily (Fleur-de-lis) must be a french symbol. On the other hand british navy were also bluecoats while the army troops and officers used the red one.

Of course, it is surely a matter of choice actually. I like the idea of frenchmen fighting the british while different pirate factions are getting involved. Not to mention the Armada and the Islanders. Oh, classic pirates, I luv ya. :pir-wub:

12 minutes ago, Medzomorak said:

I like the idea of frenchmen fighting the british while different pirate factions are getting involved. Not to mention the Armada and the Islanders. Oh, classic pirates, I luv ya. :pir-wub:

Yeah, it's a nice idea, but you need a shitload of sets in order to successfully implement it.

3 Government factions (British, French, Spanish)
2 Pirates factions (Redbeard, Brickbeard/Blackbeard?)
1 Islander faction

Any chance for a better quality of these photos?

88278860_10221850788046929_5750310057942188032_o

88257416_10221850756646144_3845441931307909120_o

23 hours ago, Brickander Brickumnus said:

Yeah, it's a nice idea, but you need a shitload of sets in order to successfully implement it.

Well, as I only buy used classic pirates it's coming together slow but steady. With these core sets you can have the whole thing played out. Also you get the most value out of these.

I guess the whole thing can get around $3500-4000 nowadays. I only got half of them as well, so it is a long journey indeed.

6276-1.jpg6274-1.jpg6285-1.jpg6273-1.jpg

6277-1.jpg6271-1.jpg6286-1.jpg6279-1.jpg

6280-1.jpg6278-1.jpg6289-1.jpg6281-1.jpg

Edited by Medzomorak

On 3/10/2020 at 8:13 PM, Jevil said:

My personal headcanon,  the CMF Pirate Captain is Captain Foul, and Using elements from the 2015 run, I made his right hand man, Culverin as well.

I just made a Foul and Culverin as well! I ended up using Scrum from PotC for Foul's body--all the red coat torsos have fancy ruffs that I felt aren't really Foul's style.  ;)

11 hours ago, Brickander Brickumnus said:

Any chance for a better quality of these photos?

I just added a high res folder with some of the original pictures. (I resized everything for Eurobricks before I realized you could resize on Flickr.) Sorry it's not better organized, I'm a little short on time right now. :)

5 hours ago, TalonCard said:

I just added a high res folder with some of the original pictures. (I resized everything for Eurobricks before I realized you could resize on Flickr.) Sorry it's not better organized, I'm a little short on time right now. :)

Thank You!