nocruoro

Lego Digital Designer Internet access failed message and weird red icon

Just got a new windows 10 laptop (lenovo ideapad s340) and my lego digital designer gives me a error saying unable to connect online saying "Internet Access Failed (I have also tried turning the firewall off for this), and using it offline makes it seem like extended mode parts might be unavailable including minifigure parts, tools wheels and I'm seeing strange red questionmarks. Does this mean unsupported part or no category?

Is there a manual workaround for this error in 4.3.11 Version 777.

I don't use LDD often but when I do, I just use it offline. I guess it does what I need. You may want to consider going to Bricklink's "Stud.io". LDD is no longer supported by TLG.

LDD is the only one i'm mostly comfortable with. How good is Bricklinks Stud.io support for bionicle bricks like balljoints and ccbs shell parts for building models?

Edited by nocruoro

@nocruoro: You actually installed 4.3.12.  It says 4.3.11 once installed but it doesn’t connect to Internet and the brick library is 777 instead on 2670 (many many bricks missing).

4.3.12 is a botched attempt by LEGO to make LDD installable on Windows 10.

Look at this thread: 

Now, as 1963maniac says, LDD has been abandoned and LEGO bought BrickLink (and Studio) and said they will continue developping Studio.

But there’s many messages about missing Bionicle parts.  You can check their availability in the LDraw library (Studio uses it).

downloaded Stud.io for windows and found 2 problems regarding baljoints

how do you pose balljoints to move them when they are connected

sometimes bricks are greyed out and i'm unable to connect those to the main model

how do i avoid these setbacks, otherwise studio has a very nice selection of bionicle weapons LDD didn't have. can bricks be imported on the failed version of LDD or should i uninstall the botched LDD 4.3.11?

Edited by nocruoro

Studio:

“Greyed out” bricks are in collision.  Sometimes, it’s a bug in the collision shape of the part but it’s generally a wrong placement.  (Also note that collision detection is dependent upon the graphical detail level: coarser = less accurate).  You can disable collision with the triangle icon.

For rotating/hinging: connect the parts, select the one you want to move, either hit 'R' or click the hand/wrench icon and then the round icon.  Then grab or click the rotation arrow.  If you grab the arrow, inside the circle, rotation step is 5°, outside, it’s finer and finer the further you go from the center.  If you click the arrow (no drag), a textfield appears to enter the exact angle.
You can’t rotate/hinge parts if there’s a connection that prevent it (closed triangle, etc.).
There’s no hinge tool like in LDD to hinge multiple points at the same time (it’s a pain in LDD in anyway).

LDD:

You can do nothing with 4.3.12.  Uninstall it.
You may install the correct 4.3.11 following the instructions in the thread I already linked.
Nevertheless, there has been no new parts for LDD for 26 months.  And importation of new parts isn’t possible.  (Some people have made custom parts but it’s really a pain.)

managed to follow this guide, the lego installer linked to a latest version of adobe flash player

Just need to know if the toa metru lower hip torso, can to be added from Studio and into> LDD?

Edited by nocruoro

It's my understanding that Stud.io uses LDRAW parts. If true, then Stud.io parts will not easily go into LDD. At some point LDD will become too hard to use. So starting to learn a software that is being supported with updates is the way to go.