legoMoccer

[MOC] Medieval Guard House

Thought i'd share my latest project, i would love to hear some feedback and thoughts before i upload this to lego ideas on monday 

xxDTsDj.png

0YbkB2m.png

tpq6ZEB.png

OPeuxR9.png

@legoMoccer This is a great moc, and when you load it to Lego Ideas, I will add it to the Historical Support thread.

In terms of feedback, the only things I could say is that I'd prefer to see yellow faces on the minifigs, and maybe the middle of the courtyard could use a wooden training dummy of some sort to fill that space out.

Other than that, I really like how there is only 1 entrance. That makes me feel like this is a safe, private space for the troops to practice and relax.

Just now, leafan said:

@legoMoccer This is a great moc, and when you load it to Lego Ideas, I will add it to the Historical Support thread.

In terms of feedback, the only things I could say is that I'd prefer to see yellow faces on the minifigs, and maybe the middle of the courtyard could use a wooden training dummy of some sort to fill that space out.

Other than that, I really like how there is only 1 entrance. That makes me feel like this is a safe, private space for the troops to practice and relax.

thank you for the feedback, i am stupid for not thinking about the yellow faces i have spent the last 4 weeks pouring over a bunch of old castle sets for inspiration so im not sure how i messed that up, luckily i have chance to change it quick

you are right looking at the images it does look quite empty there

and thank you for adding it to the thread once i submit it  

resize:1600:900

i forgot to add this image,  (ignore the head they will be yellow soon), i am sure the guys at lego can do a much nicer job of this but this is the overall design i have for the figures 

Great build.  I like the courtyard outside the building.  The building and walls have some great texturing and I like the balcony.  Excellent figs too!

Nice one! A dummy dude would be cool, also well is always well. What about crenelations? It's practical, and it would make the building more real.

Edited by Aine

19 hours ago, legoMoccer said:

forgot to add this image

I like that heraldry a lot! Only suggestion would be to extend the chain maille to the upper legs as well. Maille shirts were rarely actual shirts and usually actually covered at least to groin level (haubergeon) if not mid thigh or knee (hauberk). The Green CMF Knight had a bit a maille on his legs too.

For the build I mainly have the question of how do they get up onto the little corner towers? Maybe include a ladder made from two 1x4 railing pieces, a 1x8 plate and 1x8 tile? They'd be able to carry it around. Maybe a Thief sneaking in over the wall could use it?

I like the design!  Based on seeing what others have had success with in the Ideas competition, I have a few specific suggestions to help make it stand out from other builds:

1. Make the porch rails and spindles dark brown.  This provides a bit of contrast that will help it stand out.

2. Add a bit of ground cover--some flowers here and there, a few tall weeds, etc.  Little details like this help set the build apart.

3. Sprinkle in a few darker or lighter green plates (1x1s) occasionally to break up the olive green.  Maybe a few stalks along the walls to help show uncut grasses.

4. Add an animal or two.  A few birds, a rabbit, or a chicken helps bring the scene to life.

5. It might be good to add a puddle or a 1 plate deep gully under the archway that is ostensibly for drainage to give it a more realistic feel.

6. Add one of those strings with the plastic bars on it to clip some flags or streamers to, running from the house eaves to the far corner of the wall.

7. Add a pot with a small plant to the rail.

Despite this being a fortress, people would probably still decorate it, so making it looked lived in will bring it to life.  Great job, and I hope it does well!

thank you all the tips and help, im working on adding these to the project now, i will upload some images once im done

On 3/5/2020 at 10:29 PM, leafan said:

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/b6d350a1-bcd8-476b-8885-837bb66bc246

It is now live, thank you to anyone who votes