I just got my first PU stuff, and early on my to-do list is to try to do a battery mod. I have an old 7.4V battery from a Nikon camera, which I have used many times in the past to power PF models (Even running two buggy motors off it!) It should easily fit inside the battery bay, and I am confident that I can attach the leads fairly easily, but is there any danger that you guys know of in doing this?

22 hours ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

I just got my first PU stuff, and early on my to-do list is to try to do a battery mod. I have an old 7.4V battery from a Nikon camera, which I have used many times in the past to power PF models (Even running two buggy motors off it!) It should easily fit inside the battery bay, and I am confident that I can attach the leads fairly easily, but is there any danger that you guys know of in doing this?

I got impatient and added the battery last night. It works great, with significantly better performance than the (likely tired) AAs I was using. Additionally, the camera battery already has a PF plug soldered onto it, so I have a ready-made way to run PF IR receivers from the same power supply! Yes, I may soon be releasing models with 12 RC functions!

The Powered Up app now has customizable controls with the 3.5.0 release, it is possible to create custom buttons/joysticks/sliders for the official sets with Control+ profiles:

Very interesting.  I'm wondering if there is a way to use the motors as servos using this app.  That is, calibrate to find the end of travel and have a slider move proportionally between the endpoints.  In some setups, there could be many rotations of the motor between endpoints.

I'm wondering if there is a way to use the motors as servos using this app.  That is, calibrate to find the end of travel and have a slider move proportionally between the endpoints.  In some setups, there could be many rotations of the motor between endpoints.

Lucky for you there is a way to do that, it has actually been a feature for a little while now. You can use the code block to the right for simple drive motor control and use the code block to the left for simple servo control. The teal blocks represent the input from the sliders. Screenshot here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/13X9c9TGJ3v_-lngfIhtuEYR-rbaIZY5m/view?usp=sharing

Edited by gamemasterks

That is great news! I just checked my app, though, and I am still on 3.4.0. Is there any procedure to do to update it?

Just now, 2GodBDGlory said:

Is there any procedure to do to update it?

The update should be out already, to update just check for updates in you phones store (either the iOS App Store or Google Play Store).

Just now, gamemasterks said:

The update should be out already, to update just check for updates in you phones store (either the iOS App Store or Google Play Store).

Thanks! I am new to using apps in general, so maybe that was an obvious question.

Just now, 2GodBDGlory said:

Thanks! I am new to using apps in general, so maybe that was an obvious question.

We all have to start from somewhere! :)

The custom controls is a fantastic step in the right direction, well done and thank you TLG :thumbup: . Now just need less reliance on coding. I was a little disappointed to see that as soon as you put the custom controls in place you have to go straight to the code blocks again. I still don't get why they insist on making powered up so inaccessible to anyone with no interest in coding or code blocks or whatever. But this is still a great step in the right direction and look forward to what's to come. But I'll be sticking with PF for now.

The PU version of my TGX is ready now an i had to check out the new update for the app.

First of all, it is not as strong as PF because the hub has overload protection, but it is enough for a truck of 5 to 6 kg.

800x450.jpg800x450.jpg

I am pleasantly surprised at how well the truck can be steered without looking at the display.

It has two drive motors (left stick), a servo (right stick) and an M (slider) for the saddle plate.

800x450.jpg

But i found programming cumbersome without any knowledge, the Racingbrick video helped me.

800x450.jpg

Maybe someone here can help me. :classic:

I can't connect my phone to the hub! When I switch on the hub, it flashes white for 10 seconds but it is never detected by the app.
I'm using Android, the bluetooth is on and I tried the Control+ and the Power Up apps.

Any idea about what I can do to try to solve this issue?

EDIT: I've reset all my network settings on my phone and it worked! I don't know what was wrong...

Edited by Akbalder
Solution found

Maybe resetting the network settings turned location on? For some reason, Android requires you have location on to be able to find Bluetooth devices.

For those of you who didn't know: we just got the "dumb" hub as a set! I think that we'll get a set with it soon... (maybe the tow truck?)

Costs 29.99£, for now, it isn't in the USA shop.

Edited by chlego
added price info

So a "dumb" hub like the plain battery box costs 30 £.
IIrc, the battery box for PF was less than half the price…
And you could have up to 4 motors running from it : 8043 as an example.
Is there any advantages to this hub ?

Just now, Touc4nx said:

No. :)

At least you can run the PU motors on it.

6 minutes ago, Touc4nx said:

So a "dumb" hub like the plain battery box costs 30 £.
IIrc, the battery box for PF was less than half the price…
And you could have up to 4 motors running from it : 8043 as an example.

You don't have to use the cover the pry the batteries out!

Just now, allanp said:

Haha! I guess that's a pretty important point!

30 minutes ago, allanp said:

And that was the result of a multi-million R&D effort - not to mention the cost for the marketing campaign.

[Along the line "record-breaking lower switch contact resistance in 'on' position using completely newly formulated high-performance group ten and eleven transition mental alloy formulations plus unprecedented high resistance in 'off' position using an ultra-high-vacuum switch enclosure (optionally filled with SF6 for strongly enhanced contact life-time (order 'Dumb-PuP-BBox/SF'). Completely redesigned and dramatically improved cable sockets. Uses powerful 6-wire PuP cables, where only 4 wires are required!"]

Best
Thorsten     

Edited by Toastie

If TLG make extension cable for C+/PU, we can use this simple batterybox for 2 channel wired remote.

11 hours ago, Touc4nx said:

s there any advantages to this hub ?

I know right. Just as big as the smart hub, no smart electronics but more than half the cost. Wow great moves TLG. Keep it up, proud of you :hmpf_bad:

Edited by Bartybum

I finished bulding the 42114 Volvo Hauler and ran into a problem. The Control+ app wouldn't detect that location is enabled when location mode is set to Device Only. Yet the Powered Up app worked fine with location mode set to Device Only and could connect to the Technic Hub and updated its firmware.

screenshot-control.jpg

After some head scratching WTFs, I found changing the location mode to Battery Saving or High Accuracy on my Android phone got Control+ to see location is turned on. And I could play with the 42114. Why is that with Control+ app? 

screenshot-location-mode.jpg

I took out my 42030 Volvo Wheel Loader, put some batteries into the PF battery box and PF remotes.  It worked loading bricks into the Volvo Hauler without any use of colourful vomit language.  :pir-classic:

3 hours ago, dr_spock said:

High Accuracy on my Android phone got Control+ to see location is turned on. And I could play with the 42114. Why is that with Control+ app

It seems all apps want to use your location now for online connecting services, probably for region. I ran into this with another app that demanded I use high accuracy setting.