"Just use two hubs"

Yeah but they're massive, heavy and stupidly expensive

Edited by Bartybum

7 hours ago, Bartybum said:

"Just use two hubs"

Then you can stick to PF, simple as that. But if you want the added functionality of PU then you can actually get the hubs in sets or on BL for a reasonable price, if you compare the size/weight with the PF AA battery box there are no big differences, and so on. And here we were still talking about a huge 8x8 truck that should not have any concerns with size or weight... 

35 minutes ago, kbalage said:

And here we were still talking about a huge 8x8 truck that should not have any concerns with size or weight... 

Holy crap my bad, I just went to have a look at them and they're so much bigger than what I remember *oh2*

18 hours ago, Bartybum said:

"Just use two hubs"

Full price it would be way too expensive. The Tatra would cost 5000 SEK just in PU components. For comparison; the Liebherr R 9800 costs the same. This just brings home that TLGs pricing is just completely delusional. Now bricklinking the PU components makes these kinds of projects viable (for the time being at least).

9 hours ago, Gimmick said:

I don't see any problem with using PU.

Here's a nice example of a Ural 8x8 with 2 technic hubs. From @gate

Now we're talking. If only instructions were available.... but he/she already said no in the comments :pir-cry_sad:  And the new planetary wheel hubs of course. Hope they'll go down in price soon. I simply refuse to buy 42099 for the hubs, even with massive discounts. By the looks of it, stores just can't get rid of these sets.

Edited by Verodin
typo

I have yet to do so, but have you tried checking Bricks and Pieces for the planetary hubs? It tends to have better price for new and/or rare pieces.

Edited by MisteryMan

20 hours ago, MisteryMan said:

I have yet to do so, but have you tried checking Bricks and Pieces for the planetary hubs? It tends to have better price for new and/or rare pieces.

I bought a set of four a while back, at about $10 CAD each. It was painful, but the best option available. Prices may have gone down since, as they tend to do with new parts. Why, back in 2018 the new transmission driving ring extender cost $7ish from Lego. Now it is only about 50 cents!

Hello all. I am debating whether I should purchase the LEGO Liebherr R 9800 Excavator. It looks like a really great set, but my concern is, since it is controlled via the Control + app, does this mean that say ten years down the line it might just be a big paperweight? Like what happens if LEGO stops supporting the app? 

43 minutes ago, MechMan said:

Hello all. I am debating whether I should purchase the LEGO Liebherr R 9800 Excavator. It looks like a really great set, but my concern is, since it is controlled via the Control + app, does this mean that say ten years down the line it might just be a big paperweight? Like what happens if LEGO stops supporting the app? 

You should read the earlier discussion, this point has been debated a lot here.

My quick opinion on the matter: It might happen, yes, but there will probably be a lot of third-party solutions by then. Also the motors will probably wear out long before the app support is gone, if you actually use them so unless you just let it sit on a shelf or storage, the possible end of support for the app in the future won't be what kills the motors.

I have been playing with 42114 and its "gorgeous app" trough our exhibition last weekend and OH MY GOD why this thing needs up to 3 minutes to calibrate? And why using Buwizz app for the steering and driving is far way smoother and easier than LEGO C+ app?
If Buwizz app would support centering the servo motor, I'd never use C+ app again.

5 hours ago, howitzer said:

the possible end of support for the app in the future won't be what kills the motors.

Im still waiting for a PF mod for 42100

On 9/8/2020 at 9:32 AM, howitzer said:

You should read the earlier discussion, this point has been debated a lot here.

My quick opinion on the matter: It might happen, yes, but there will probably be a lot of third-party solutions by then. Also the motors will probably wear out long before the app support is gone, if you actually use them so unless you just let it sit on a shelf or storage, the possible end of support for the app in the future won't be what kills the motors.

Thank you for the information. I did skim through the thread, will go back and read it through. 

On 9/8/2020 at 8:41 PM, M_longer said:

I have been playing with 42114 and its "gorgeous app" trough our exhibition last weekend and OH MY GOD why this thing needs up to 3 minutes to calibrate? And why using Buwizz app for the steering and driving is far way smoother and easier than LEGO C+ app?
If Buwizz app would support centering the servo motor, I'd never use C+ app again.

My problem with C+ is that it is closed. For using a LEGO App i need the Powered Up and i have to program it. So i'm using "brick controller 2", altough i nedd a controller, but it's so easy. You can create a new profile in a few minutes an you can control every device with an IR able smartphone also IR. I don't need IR anymore, but i'm driving many combinations with Technic hub and Train Hub or Sbricks.

That's right, but can you look at your model and find the buttons on the display?

Especially if you're driving on a exhibition it's much easier with sticks.

Is it possible to connect the Buwizz app with a controller?

2 hours ago, HUWI said:

That's right, but can you look at your model and find the buttons on the display?

Especially if you're driving on a exhibition it's much easier with sticks.

Is it possible to connect the Buwizz app with a controller?

I don't really get your point, BrickController2 is there to be used with a game controller, it supports both Powered Up and BuWizz hardware. Why would you need BuWizz app to support a controller?

1 hour ago, kbalage said:

I don't really get your point, BrickController2 is there to be used with a game controller, it supports both Powered Up and BuWizz hardware. Why would you need BuWizz app to support a controller?

Because you could use it also, if temporary no controller is available.

When i'm upstairs in my workshop and forgot the controller in my apartment i have to use with BC2 the function to check the receiver if i want to check something.

I think the Sbrick app can be controlled by a controller, but the fixed profiles are to complicated.

@HUWI well even with the SBrick app you need to reconfigure it or create separate profiles for a hw controller and a screen interface, there's no single universal "works with everything in every scenario" app. Btw you can use the Powered Up app with the controller profiles and you can also use the Powered Up remote. Both of them are restrictive regarding the controls but might be an option if it fits your build. 

2 hours ago, kbalage said:

@HUWI well even with the SBrick app you need to reconfigure it or create separate profiles for a hw controller and a screen interface, there's no single universal "works with everything in every scenario" app. Btw you can use the Powered Up app with the controller profiles and you can also use the Powered Up remote. Both of them are restrictive regarding the controls but might be an option if it fits your build. 

So i'll stay with BC2...

I'm not sure if this question has already been answered but does the Lego Spike Prime Distance Sensor work with the Control+ Hub and the Powered Up app? I've been searching online and I can't find the answer.

8 hours ago, gamemasterks said:

I'm not sure if this question has already been answered but does the Lego Spike Prime Distance Sensor work with the Control+ Hub and the Powered Up app? I've been searching online and I can't find the answer.

No not yet. But you can use spike color sensor for super bright light!(Even brighter then PF LEDs!)

7 hours ago, msk6003 said:

No not yet. But you can use spike color sensor for super bright light!(Even brighter then PF LEDs!)

Wow, I did not even know that the Color Sensor LEDs were that good. Well I guess I'll have to wait for the new Mindstorms set. Thank you!

10 hours ago, gamemasterks said:

Wow, I did not even know that the Color Sensor LEDs were that good. Well I guess I'll have to wait for the new Mindstorms set. Thank you!

Yes. I surprised brightness of that sensor. If TLG will add spike sensor block for powered up, I want that LED on/off block have. It can't turn off yet.

If TLG add that function, I will use it for car's headlight.

Edited by msk6003

Has anyone tried to extract the code of the app for 42109 of 42099 to extract the coding used for the return to center solution?

I am aware of the RacingBrick's coding solution, but I was wondering whether someone got to the original idea. I am trying and failing now, need to understand more about Android and how it saves installed apps.