3 hours ago, kbalage said:

really don't understand why it didn't get a speed regulator (actually 2 of them)

Well I don't either - maybe because it is supposed to be a dumb battery box. But yes, totally agree, even a dumb box could have accomplished that - at virtually no additional production cost.

Best
Thorsten

On 6/19/2020 at 12:44 PM, Aris said:

Dumb = rechargeable? :grin:

If you use rechargeable AA batteries or hack in some LiPO at your own risk.  :wink:

19 hours ago, Toastie said:

Well I don't either - maybe because it is supposed to be a dumb battery box. But yes, totally agree, even a dumb box could have accomplished that - at virtually no additional production cost.

Best
Thorsten

They probably want you to use the smarter hubs if you need speed control.  Every few cents and/or extra minutes in production can add up some big accounting number.  :pir-classic:

9 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Thank God the dumb battery box is here.

I want to see it's price before thanking ?

It shouldn't happen that box is dumb but price is smart.

Edited by iLego
Grammar

I haven’t been following the news for a moment, so I ask here. Will lego stop making power functions components? I think Control + battery cases are impractical, also they are expensive and I wouldn't want to stop making moc without powered functions :ugh:

Just now, Hurri said:

I haven’t been following the news for a moment, so I ask here. Will lego stop making power functions components? I think Control + battery cases are impractical, also they are expensive and I wouldn't want to stop making moc without powered functions :ugh:

According to the latest official information PF will be discontinued by the end of 2020, meaning you won't be able to buy it from LEGO directly, but will be available elsewhere for several years

1 hour ago, kbalage said:

According to the latest official information PF will be discontinued by the end of 2020, meaning you won't be able to buy it from LEGO directly, but will be available elsewhere for several years

I also am kinda sad for the change.  I mean, I am all for progress, but not sure I am really all the excited about the Control+ system.   I haven't had much of a chance to build much in the last few years, and once I am ready to get up and running again (later this year) PF will be all but gone.  At least from Lego.  Oh well, such is progress I suppose....

3 minutes ago, kbalage said:

They should work as 2 integrated Power Functions 8869 Control switches, controlling the 2 outputs of the hub. I published a blog post recently summarizing my thoughts about the new simple Technic hub.

But will they have the power-output control like the 84599? If yes it will be cool!
LEGO Set 8878-1 Rechargeable Battery Box (Model - A-Model)
84599 Rechargeable Battery Box

edit:

I was too hurry, just saw to blog after comment. Notice you have already motion that point...

Edited by SamuelYsc
edit

Just now, SamuelYsc said:

But will they have the power-output control like the 84599? If yes it will be cool!

It would be cool but I don't think so unfortunately, there're no visible controls to regulate speed.

1 minute ago, kbalage said:

It would be cool but I don't think so unfortunately, there're no visible controls to regulate speed.

I just saw the blog after my comment, I was too hurry to point out that idea. Did not know you have already mentioned at the blog...

It is quite wasted if it only has the on&off function. But I guess TLG have their reason.

Just now, Ngoc Nguyen said:

The dumb battery box, the L motor, and the XL motor are all for sales from Lego's shop.

Where did you see the dumb hub? The Technic hub, L & XL motors are available since a few weeks.

33 minutes ago, kbalage said:

That is the Technic hub. The "dumb" hub (I assume it'll be called Simple hub or Simple Technic hub) is this one:

lego-technic-2hy2020-42113-0009-1024x811.jpg

The "dumb" hub reminds me of how the battery box and switches were set up in the space shuttle 8480. 

Now there's an idea! TLG has a habit of "recycling" model ideas (to take advantage of newer elements and building techniques, and for kids who were too young when the previous versions were around), but never picked up on the Space Shuttle concept since that single specimen.

It would be interesting to see what a modern Technic Shuttle would do and look like, and less interesting to see fans moaning about there being too many panels and not enough panels and proportions and too much complexity and too much simplicity and too many motorised functions and too few motorised functions and the rest of the usual stuff.

[edit] There's this, which unfortunately fell short of the 10000 supporters to be considered.

Edited by AVCampos
Added Ideas shuttle

No idead where to post it, there are so many threads... :D

Powered up 3.3.1 was released two days ago. Has anyone any idea what changed? Do maybe the angled motors work now completely?

@Gimmick sorry, no idea; to me it looks the same. But that may be wrong.

But I have a remotely related question and no idea where to post it:

The LEGO Wireless Protocol 3.0.00 (r17) Document on github has never seen any updates, is that right?

Best
Thorsten

On 7/25/2020 at 2:13 PM, Gimmick said:

Powered up 3.3.1 was released two days ago. Has anyone any idea what changed? Do maybe the angled motors work now completely?

The Technic angled motor still does not work, not sure what was updated as the release info is very vague this time.

@Jim I think it'd be good to rename this topic to "Control+ / Powered Up general discussion" as people are already confused with the differentiation and they open new topics with their questions regarding Powered Up. 

On 7/26/2020 at 4:32 PM, Toastie said:

@Gimmick sorry, no idea; to me it looks the same. But that may be wrong.

But I have a remotely related question and no idea where to post it:

The LEGO Wireless Protocol 3.0.00 (r17) Document on github has never seen any updates, is that right?

Best
Thorsten

Did anybody try mailing Lego concerning this and maybe get an official statement? Last I remember is that it was supposed to be an 'open' protocol. But maybe I misremember.

Just now, Verodin said:

Did anybody try mailing Lego concerning this and maybe get an official statement? Last I remember is that it was supposed to be an 'open' protocol. But maybe I misremember.

I asked this during my interview with the Powered Up app owner, this was all I got:

I know this is being looked into, but I don’t have exact details to share at the moment.

Saw your interview a while ago, thank you for that. But it doesn't sound too promising for the near future. Really hope they update it let's say this year.