Murdoch17

Wild Western steam rotary snow plow YO with steam loco pusher engine

This blue train is marked (2-6-0+0-6-2 Garratt, for heavy duty rotary snow plow jobs) number 4, and joins the family of similar mid-1880's engines such as (4-2-4, for military transport) green 1, (4-4-0, for freight) yellow 2, and (4-6-0, for passengers) red 3. The Garratt-type steam locomotive is perfect for use on the mountainous terrain of Colorado Rocky Mountains, with it's double steam locomotive pistons sets.

49614972598_d24212659d_z.jpg

(Before anyone says anything about Garratt loco's not being ever sold into the North American market, I'll say it's an experimental prototype to help with a motive power shortage. It may have been seen by the owner as a economical way of sending one locomotive to do the job of two.)

49615744177_0619a0d502_z.jpg

This steam powered rotary snowplow was inspired by the real-world Denver and Rio Grande's narrow gauge plow "OY", as now seen on the Cumbres and Toltec RR in New Mexico / Colorado. I've decided to name my plow "YO" in tribute to my inspiration, using this part from the original Toy Story sets on the tender as the marker.

49615743807_a4b8600d34_z.jpg

The roof of the front of the plow comes off to reveal the cab for the plow operator. (Yes, the front "blade" does spin around.)

49615489736_0e102c0540_z.jpg

The rear of the plow features the coal tender with a ladder from the water tank-top down to the magnetic coupler.

49614983928_40bc6d4877_z.jpg

This engine was originally a SRW locomotive works product, (made by Anthony Sava and formerly available on Bricklink until LEGO sadly removed most of his models) I reworked the engine to have working pistons and side-rods plus a longer frame. This made it from 2-4-0+0-4-2 to a 2-6-0+0-6-2, among other smaller updates to the engine.

49615755897_4e615dddd7_z.jpg

The rear of the steam locomotive. This part in black goes on the cab walls (it's the number 4)

49614972278_5cc59cb010_z.jpg

A simple caboose, for the snow plow train. I used a pair interesting windscreen parts for the cupola windows.

NOTES:

The Garratt is already 100% finished, some of the parts for the plow and caboose are already found... doing a major reorganization of the parts supply, and am amazed at what I'm finding already!

Looks good - I like the angled chute at the top. Is the snow plow's rotary function connected to the wheels, i.e. does it rotate when the train moves?

On 3/3/2020 at 5:15 PM, Pdaitabird said:

Looks good - I like the angled chute at the top. Is the snow plow's rotary function connected to the wheels, i.e. does it rotate when the train moves?

Sadly, no. However, it can be motorized separate from the wheels, like as in this scene by @dr_spock, who is where I got the inspiration for the plow blade from.

Posted (edited)
On 3/5/2020 at 11:17 AM, dr_spock said:

Nice to see you're getting good use out of my silly MOCs.  I did one powered by the wheels with a few gears in the bogie.  It could probably fit into your build.  :classic:

i'm not very good a Technic, and am having a tough time trying to integrate a working blade powered by wheels based on your picture into the build. If I send you the file @dr_spock, can you sort it out?

Edited by Murdoch17

15 hours ago, Murdoch17 said:

i'm not very good a Technic, and am having a tough time trying to integrate a working blade powered by wheels based on your picture into the build. If I send you the file @dr_spock, can you sort it out?

I am the opposite.  I am not very good at digital LEGO building.  I can take a look at your digital file.

2 hours ago, dr_spock said:

I am the opposite.  I am not very good at digital LEGO building.  I can take a look at your digital file.

Sent in private message. thank you.