Posted (edited)

My first post!

My rendition of the Unicorn from Tintin (mainly based on the film). Full interior, I'll post more photos of specific areas if you want; just added with better lighting photos, + sails and minifigs as requested. Constructive criticism would be really appreciated. Would I get your vote on Lego Ideas?  :wink:   :head_back:

And here's Tintin and Haddock - please forgive me using a cat for Snowy!!

Edited by BillyG
New photos

very nice, lots of detailing especially on the rear blue and gold section.

Which set had the cannons in it?

Would be great to see some sails and minifigs on board to get the full effect

1 hour ago, aussie_huddo said:

very nice, lots of detailing especially on the rear blue and gold section.

Which set had the cannons in it?

Would be great to see some sails and minifigs on board to get the full effect

Thanks a lot! The cannons are from bricklink. 

And I just added some more pics!

Welcome to Eurobricks, BillyG! :laugh:

Your design of the Unicorn is absolutely stunning! The details and curvature of the ship are eye-catching, and you did an excellent job on them. The stern of the ship is very, very nice! You also did a wonderful job replicating the color pallet of the unicorn as well as the overall aesthetic of it. The fully modular features make it even better, and the interior looks just as good as the outside! I especially like the dining hall for the crew and the captain's quarters. 

Also, love the last photo. Brings back memories. 

Wow, simply wow. Love it! :grin_wub:

Wow! *oh2* What a pleasant surprise to see another Lego Unicorn in existence! I'm glad this ship is getting plenty of love and your version of it looks absolutely incredible! Definitely the most accurate version on the web so far! I really like that you went with the bold choice of yellow instead of tan. Ideally there'd be a colour somewhere in between the two but since there isn't it's good to see variation between the different Unicorns already out there. Nice work on the rear as well especially the side galleries, they're no easy feat to pull off!

I'd definitely vote for this on Lego Ideas! Sadly though I don't think TINTIN is really well known enough to ever be made into a set. :cry3: But we can always keep trying! 

Do you plan to add more rigging?

Well done again, absolutely love this ship!

8 hours ago, Black Pearl said:

Ideally there'd be a colour somewhere in between the two but since there isn't it's good to see variation between the different Unicorns already out there

Lego has some light yellow and the newer bright light yellow colors for some bricks, Do you think these would look good on the unicorn you're currently making, Pearl?

@The Neighborhood Merchant It's hard to know exactly without seeing the colours in person, but I'd say the new bright light yellow might just about be the perfect colour. I could've nearly made my Unicorn out of that colour (although at a much higher price) but at this stage the range of bright light yellow pieces is just too limited so I went with Tan instead.

On 3/4/2020 at 3:36 AM, The Neighborhood Merchant said:

Welcome to Eurobricks, BillyG! :laugh:

Your design of the Unicorn is absolutely stunning! The details and curvature of the ship are eye-catching, and you did an excellent job on them. The stern of the ship is very, very nice! You also did a wonderful job replicating the color pallet of the unicorn as well as the overall aesthetic of it. The fully modular features make it even better, and the interior looks just as good as the outside! I especially like the dining hall for the crew and the captain's quarters. 

Also, love the last photo. Brings back memories. 

Wow, simply wow. Love it! :grin_wub:

Thank you very much! I tried to make it almost like a big playset, without compromising the design. I'm glad you like it! And yes, Tintin is very nostalgic for everyone!

On 3/4/2020 at 5:29 PM, Black Pearl said:

Wow! *oh2* What a pleasant surprise to see another Lego Unicorn in existence! I'm glad this ship is getting plenty of love and your version of it looks absolutely incredible! Definitely the most accurate version on the web so far! I really like that you went with the bold choice of yellow instead of tan. Ideally there'd be a colour somewhere in between the two but since there isn't it's good to see variation between the different Unicorns already out there. Nice work on the rear as well especially the side galleries, they're no easy feat to pull off!

I'd definitely vote for this on Lego Ideas! Sadly though I don't think TINTIN is really well known enough to ever be made into a set. :cry3: But we can always keep trying! 

Do you plan to add more rigging?

Well done again, absolutely love this ship!

Thanks, and yes the Unicorn is a truly beautiful ship! I chose the yellow colour to differentiate from the others out there as well as to make it more vibrant and contrasted, closer to the film's version than the comic's. The galleries were a pain but I'm satisfied in the end. I don't really have experience with rigging, I tried to before but I didn't have rope of the right thickness so maybe I'll give it a go eventually. And are you kidding, who wouldn't love Tintin!? :snicker: 

Amazing build! It looks just like the one in the story. Just wonderful. I especially love the 17th century captain Haddock!! :thumbup:

This is...... :pir-wub::wub_drool::wub::grin_wub: .... instant eyegasms.

I still have my creased and re-released The Secret of the Unicorn & Red Rackham's Treasure comics from my childhood in Hungarian versions. Thanks, now I have to spend the day going over my old stuff!

Képtalálatok a következőre: az unikornis titka

Gee. To IDEAS with this. Now. Nu. Maintenant. Jetzt. This is an order. Not debatable.

On 3/8/2020 at 2:15 AM, Captain Braunsfeld said:

Really perfect, a dream come true!  Respect for also managing that unicorn figurehead :thumbup:

Thanks, I really appreciate it!!

On 3/11/2020 at 8:28 AM, Fraunces said:

Amazing build! It looks just like the one in the story. Just wonderful. I especially love the 17th century captain Haddock!! :thumbup:

Thanks!! I'm glad you think it did the job regarding accuracy!

On 3/15/2020 at 8:27 PM, Buccaneero said:

Wow, I love it! Amazing figurehead!

Thanks!! It went through a couple iterations but I'm satisfied!! :) 

On 3/21/2020 at 2:30 AM, Mister Phes said:

Oh what a social media story it made!

Whoah, that's awesome! Where can I see that? And thanks!!

4 hours ago, Medzomorak said:

I still have my creased and re-released The Secret of the Unicorn & Red Rackham's Treasure comics from my childhood in Hungarian versions. Thanks, now I have to spend the day going over my old stuff!

Gee. To IDEAS with this. Now. Nu. Maintenant. Jetzt. This is an order. Not debatable.

Haha, what an absolute classic, hey!! I got sick of not seeing enough of the ship in LEGO (it's just so beautiful) so I had to make my own :snicker: Have fun reading!!

And yes sir!