snaillad

MOC: Arrivals Hall IDLEBRICK AIRPORT

I've always found something interesting about airport architecture from the mid-century and have wanted to do some other parts of an airport since my first class lounge a few years ago as seen here https://www.flickr.com/photos/52656812@N04/26143957214/in/dateposted-public/ so I guess this is something of a follow up.

It was all originally centered around the baggage carousel which went through several revisions. I went with a circular one which I think were quite rare from all the source material I looked at. I included a shop, information desk and toilets between the columns for some interest all based on a 60's style.

I've used various patterns and mid-century elements in the structure walls and ceiling. No one single airport was the inspiration but a mix of many. I started this project just before a recent trip to NYC of which I visited the TWA terminal, If I'd started it after my trip my ambitions may of gotten the better of me! :D What an inspiring sight it was though!

4 images in all this time;

49610610933_4b57bf949f_c.jpg

49611138906_8e75cc8e9e_c.jpg

49610616178_d87d97abca_c.jpg

49611386447_356c483fb0_c.jpg

You can find them on my flickr is if so prefer here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/52656812@N04/

Regards

The map of the world on its own is already a better MOC than most people will make in their lifetime. Love the wall the map hangs on too. The whole model is just great. The retro feeling is spot on.

21 hours ago, gotoAndLego said:

It looks really great. Nice use of the hockey sticks.

10 hours ago, Retro said:

The map of the world on its own is already a better MOC than most people will make in their lifetime. Love the wall the map hangs on too. The whole model is just great. The retro feeling is spot on.

9 hours ago, Man with a hat said:

Wow. Again impressive. Love the world map. The hockey sticks are very clever. And the columns/pillars look amazing as well.

7 hours ago, peedeejay said:

Great! As others mentioned: Great use of the hockey sticks. And the world map is amazing!

Thanks @gotoAndLego @Retro @Man with a hat @peedeejay ! The world map was inspired by one from Haneda Airport in Japan that I saw on an old pic. The hockey sticks were a last minute addition, sadly not the most stable but I think they work quite well here!

5 hours ago, Brickvergnugen said:

The map is fantastic! Lots of little touches really capture the feel of the time period too.

2 hours ago, Darkdragon said:

Amazing work on this, all the details are just perfect. 

Thank you @Brickvergnugen @Darkdragon I'm pleased you like all the small touches!

The architecture perfectly denotes the historical period of this airport!

I like the use of corner tiles inside the transparent bricks and the accuracy of the details :thumbup:

Great work! :wub:

I found myself staring at the hallway where the lady in pink shirt and green purse is heading and wondering what is she going to see next. Because I so much would like to see more of this awesomeness. Great work. What piece did you use for the ceiling? I can't recognize them from the pictures.

On 3/3/2020 at 10:15 PM, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

The architecture perfectly denotes the historical period of this airport!

I like the use of corner tiles inside the transparent bricks and the accuracy of the details :thumbup:

Great work! :wub:

Thank you @LEGO Train 12 Volts! I'd forgotten about that display at the shop with the corner pieces! :laugh:

On 3/4/2020 at 1:47 AM, meliander said:

I found myself staring at the hallway where the lady in pink shirt and green purse is heading and wondering what is she going to see next. Because I so much would like to see more of this awesomeness. Great work. What piece did you use for the ceiling? I can't recognize them from the pictures.

Cheers @meliander Maybe I'll do another scene of an airport someday to show where they go to next! I used the 'tooth' piece, I think it started in the mixels line a while ago. I got a ton of them from my local PAB wall.

23 hours ago, bricksboy said:

I like how you did for the world map :D

Thank you @bricksboy If only it could of been tan/green land I would of preferred it but I'm happy with the effect!

Lots of great detail here.  The map is beautifully done and the fountain with the globe is a nice touch.