Duq

Repairing Lego Racers remote control

I have a number of remote controls from Dirt Crushers and Supersonic RC's:

5282.png

A few of them have developed an issue; the signal they send is jittery. You  hold steering full right for example and on the car the steering goes between straight and full right.

I know for sure it's the remote control and not the car. If I set two cars on the same channel their steering behaves exactly the same, jumping between straight and turn at exactly the same time.

I've opened up one of the remotes but there's nothing obvious; no burnt out electronics, no dirt in the joystick contacts.

Does anyone have experience repairing these remote controls? They're still costing €20 or more each so I don't want to go and replace a handful...

I had the same issue. Could solve it by cleaning (first rubber, then alcohol) the contacts of the controls. You have to cut some glue to open the housing of them. This wont have negative effect on the structural integrity. You can reassemble the remote again with everything secured in place. I can post pictures tomorrow, if you would like to see exactly what I mean.

Edited by Andman

Just now, Andman said:

Could solve by cleaning (first rubber, then alcohol) the contacts of the controls.

Would do the same - and then add a tiny little amount of WD40 (sprayed onto a piece of cloth and then applied carefully).

The same may happen to the PF remote (8879) - the same procedure takes care of the issue. Access to the dial pads is much easier though.

Best
Thorsten

Edited by Toastie

Just to add one more. If there are rusty spots, get some sandpaper with really fine grain and remove them very gently.

I have a not-so-serious version of this issue with my controller. Either the remote isn’t getting the power it needs or some component is going bad, or even maybe the potentiometers in the joysticks are falling apart.

18 hours ago, AlessandroB said:

Hello Andman,

is it possible to receive pictures about what to clean in the remote control?

Thank you.

I'll try to make some images during the next couple of days. Ping me again, if you don't hear anything from me until sunday.

I think before using WD-40 or sandpaper maybe try some spray contact cleaner, designed specifically for electronic components.

On 12/16/2020 at 9:15 AM, Andman said:

I'll try to make some images during the next couple of days. Ping me again, if you don't hear anything from me until sunday.

Hello,

I would be happy, if you could share pictures of the Remote PCB-Assembly PCB(s).

Thank you

@AlessandroB, @BrickTronic, sorry for my late replay. Here are some pics, which should help you. If not, drop a message.

rc_remote_cleanup_1.png

rc_remote_cleanup_2.png

rc_remote_cleanup_3.png

rc_remote_cleanup_4.png

rc_remote_cleanup_5.png

When you are done. Just re-assemble. before you close the case make sure everything works as expected.

And be careful doing all this. In the first one I opened the ribbon cables were very stiff and while taking the joystick apart the soldering broke... have yet to solder it back together.