NickLafreniere

[MOC] Canada Post Delivery Truck - LEGO Ideas

49587233003_b89aa01d78_b.jpg

Getting 10,000 supporters can make this project a real LEGO set. You can help by voting for my project! Please see my LEGO Ideas project here.

49587970762_382f31a401_b.jpg

Set Description

Canada Post’s Delivery Truck is the perfect addition to your LEGO city. Featuring an attractive red and white color scheme with a striking blue curve, this LEGO Ideas set delivers a high amount of realism at a budget price. This real-life delivery truck is far more detailed than any mail/postal set LEGO has produced and is a great build for consumers of any age – young and old.

This set makes for a great collectible display set for adults as well a fun play set for kids that depicts an everyday aspect of life – the mail. The inclusion of the ‘parcels’ that come with the truck can be a very useful accessory to use in your LEGO city.

Features:

• Truck measures 15 cm long, 5 cm wide, 7 cm tall
  • 191 pieces, 91 unique pieces
  • Includes mail truck, mailbox, mail carrier minifigure, 4 letters, and 6 packages
  • Rear door opens and roof lifts off for access to the interior

Detailed Tour

This authentic scale LEGO Canada Post Delivery Truck model features many details, such as the advertisement billboard frame on the side of the truck. “Delivering the online world” is one graphic being used, although LEGO can also place their own advertisement for LEGO Shop At Home as an alternative.

49587234693_20d437a838_b.jpg

The rear of the truck also has a printed door piece with the Canada Post logo.

49587730021_053383defd_b.jpg

A red Canada Post mailbox and some assorted mail are included.

49587972867_e299a71753_b.jpg

The roof can be lifted off for interior access.

49587235873_81b32a8c76_b.jpg

There are shelves along each wall of the truck to hold packages. The floor is tiled and can hold the larger packages.

49587973742_193e9f6f41_b.jpg

The rear door can also be lifted open.

49587236943_3f4c077fd5_b.jpg

The Canada Post mail carrier minifigure features a light blue button up shirt with dark blue pants, hat, and carrier bag. He is holding a white Flat Rate Box from Canada Post.

49587237588_6b25f63b44_b.jpg

The driver can comfortably sit in the seat in the front of the truck.

49587237888_c344814b1e_b.jpg

This set will feature these new colored parts in red as well as metallic silver.

49587238863_76a815277c_b.jpg

These pieces will be printed:

49587733536_ae713abeca_b.jpg

The truck is built on a strong base and uses clever connections to make the detailed front of the vehicle.

49587238903_b9f0797d2b_b.jpg

Here is the real-life Canada Post truck...

Edited by NickLafreniere

Very cool! I think you've created this Lego version spot on! Good luck with this project. I hope it will become a set! 

There is no way kids ( or even most adults) are going to line up that sticker on the flank on a 1x8 / 1x10 brick and the plate beneath it.

19 hours ago, Terrasher said:

Love the SNOT work surrounding the front wheels.

Thank you, I am most proud of that technique.

21 hours ago, Daanski said:

Very cool! I think you've created this Lego version spot on! Good luck with this project. I hope it will become a set! 

Thanks! I agree, I feel like this is a great replica of the real truck in 6-wide!

9 hours ago, Merlict said:

There is no way kids ( or even most adults) are going to line up that sticker on the flank on a 1x8 / 1x10 brick and the plate beneath it.

To clarify, this is one sticker covering 2 pieces: A red 1x10 brick with a white 1x10 plate below. The top of the sticker lines up with the top of the red brick. The bottom of the sticker lines up with the  edge of the white plate.

Honestly, I don't think putting 1 rectangular sticker on a 1x10 with 1x10 plate would be that challenging. Kids will probably get it crooked, but who didn't when they were kids? :) My best advice is use tweezers to apply the sticker. 

Any sets with stickers are challenging. I wish LEGO would print every piece, but that just isn't economical, especially for a small set like this. 

8 hours ago, Deeks said:

I had this one as a kid. I still have the printed Canada Post bricks

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?id=3709#T=S&O={"iconly":0}

I think that since LEGO and Canada Post have worked in the past, this set proposal isn't totally unrealistic. Although this truck is only a Canadian icon, I still think that this model can be enjoyed internationally. 

North American mail trucks are usually larger/more boxy that European mail trucks, and that extra size gave me more interior space, which is great for play. I think a new generation of kids would enjoy this :)

Edited by NickLafreniere

Great build. You captured the shape perfectly!

The stickers however will pose a problem, as LEGO does no longer allow stickers to be applied among several pieces.

2 hours ago, peedeejay said:

Great build. You captured the shape perfectly!

The stickers however will pose a problem, as LEGO does no longer allow stickers to be applied among several pieces.

Thanks for the comment. 

While designing this, I kept the building/sticker experience in mind. I understand that stickers over multiple pieces is controversial :) Although, this is a good and "reasonably safe" instance to have a sticker over multiple pieces. The 1x10 brick and 1x10 plate will be locked together rather tightly, so you could still take apart the Canada Post truck and keep the 1x10 assembly intact without damage to the sticker.

The other instance of a sticker going over multiple parts is the circular Canada Post logo sticker on the slanted front of the truck. That part is more fragile when taking apart... However, having that sticker over the 2 1x2 cheese slope actually keeps that part built a little stronger.

Edited by NickLafreniere

Great looking mail truck!

Those stickers over several pieces could be a problem for Lego though. I don't think they do that anymore.

On 3/3/2020 at 9:47 AM, NickLafreniere said:

Thanks for the comment. 

While designing this, I kept the building/sticker experience in mind. I understand that stickers over multiple pieces is controversial :) Although, this is a good and "reasonably safe" instance to have a sticker over multiple pieces. The 1x10 brick and 1x10 plate will be locked together rather tightly, so you could still take apart the Canada Post truck and keep the 1x10 assembly intact without damage to the sticker.

The other instance of a sticker going over multiple parts is the circular Canada Post logo sticker on the slanted front of the truck. That part is more fragile when taking apart... However, having that sticker over the 2 1x2 cheese slope actually keeps that part built a little stronger.

I don't think peedeejay's comment had anything to do with whether it's a good idea or controversial, but more to do with the fact that LEGO no longer allows this technique in sets at all.

17 hours ago, meliander said:

Great looking mail truck!

Those stickers over several pieces could be a problem for Lego though. I don't think they do that anymore.

1 hour ago, Carbohydrates said:

I don't think peedeejay's comment had anything to do with whether it's a good idea or controversial, but more to do with the fact that LEGO no longer allows this technique in sets at all.

I'm trying to find more information about this. Has LEGO ever made an official statement that they no longer do STAMPs in sets? Does someone also know the last example of a set LEGO has made with STAMPs? I think the Maersk Train was one of them.

6 hours ago, NickLafreniere said:

Has LEGO ever made an official statement that they no longer do STAMPs in sets?

I personally haven't seen anything official on the subject, but they stopped doing it for sure. Tbh I didn't know Maersk Train had those. I thought this practice was abandoned before 2010s.

Nice. I haven't seen those trucks around lately.  Not sure having correct postage STAMPs is that critical.  In the T&Cs, LEGO® reserves the rights to modify your idea/design for production should it make it that far.  Good luck.  :classic:

On 3/4/2020 at 7:55 PM, meliander said:

I personally haven't seen anything official on the subject, but they stopped doing it for sure. Tbh I didn't know Maersk Train had those. I thought this practice was abandoned before 2010s.

I don't know why Maersk got a special exemption, but their sets had STAMPs for longer than any other line of which I am aware - the Train in 2011 and the Triple-E in 2014, which is (to my knowledge) the last set ever with STAMPs. And what a send-off to the practice it was, with just an absolutely enormous amount of them. It was an appropriate nail in the coffin.

Edited by Carbohydrates

On 3/4/2020 at 8:55 PM, meliander said:

Yeah, that sticker covers 7 bricks!!!!!!! 7!!!!! I thought 3 was already a lot :P

My sticker just covers 2 pieces, which is the best possible scenario for STAMPs. If only LEGO made a 1x10x 1 1/3 brick, then we would have nothing to worry about :)

On 3/7/2020 at 3:42 PM, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

I like the way you've arranged the front lights ...is the first time I see this technique! :thumbup:

I agree. I don't think I've seen anyone use the 2x2 jumper like that before for lights so congratulation on a new technique.

12 hours ago, gotoAndLego said:

I agree. I don't think I've seen anyone use the 2x2 jumper like that before for lights so congratulation on a new technique.

Thank you! I came up with it myself since there weren't many other examples of MOCs of this style of delivery/mail truck.  The 2x2 jumper worked perfectly for this application.

I ended up making one (well 2) in the "vintage" color scheme (Red on the bottom, white on top)
With some concession to be able to order the parts on PickABrick!

https://x.com/MA_Belleau/status/1732699517101670836?s=20

The only thing I could not get right is the hood, I have NO IDEA how you elevated the slope to half a plate high!
I have a couple of printed Canada Post logo left if you want some, I really wanted to thank you for that perfect design!

Edited by MaB102
Accidental submit without the entire comment + ortograph