Gray Gear

"New" (alternative) fake engine idea for inline engines

Hi there

I got the idea to use the small pins with stud on top as cylinders for a fake engine. It allows the pistons to be very short, without a stop underneath/above to keep them in place. I kinda dont want to show you my complete RB26dett engine as it is part of a MOC I am working on, so you'll have to live with this little mockup guy for now :tongue:

IMG_20200301_224516.jpg

IMG_20200301_224450.jpg

Sadly this system only works for inline engines, as the pins wont go back down when at an angle, like in a V-engine. The engine runs incredibly smooth, and there is basically no resistance or rev limit.

Gray Gear

Edited by Gray Gear

I like your inline engine!

Are those oval liftarms still available in modern sets? I thought this part is gone.

Yeah, I expected I wasn't the first to think of that. I tested it using a V6, but it didn't work very well...

5 minutes ago, Gray Gear said:

Yeah, I expected I wasn't the first to think of that. I tested it using a V6, but it didn't work very well...

Maybe the different crankshaft makes a difference. Anyway, your version is still worth sharing. Thanks!

I've been using a similar solution to simulate valve movement. I find the movement not smooth enough for a piston, but it works very well as a camshaft when timed correctly to simulate valves opening and closing before and after compression. 

But props for the compact design!

-ED-

I used this to make a RB26dett, and in a Inline 6 engine you can't use the normal engine components, because 14 studs of length is just way too much. So this seemed like the best solution to me :sceptic:

You are right, the piston movement isnt very continuous, but meh, what can I do.

this one looks better that LEGO version in Mack, but I'm still not convinced about such fake engines, perhaps I'll decide one day to make small MOC and i  implement it, who knows.

Great design but why the clear 1x1 rounded tiles for the heads?  Never seen cylinder heads that are clear.  Why not like metallic or aluminum gray?

52 minutes ago, nerdsforprez said:

Great design but why the clear 1x1 rounded tiles for the heads? 

Because they were the only ones I had left :head_back:

6 hours ago, Gray Gear said:

meh, what can I do.

Might help to clean the parts, you can see some dirt in the pin holes which might be gumming it up.

Edited by amorti
Ofc, blue half pins don't have friction...

@amorti how would that help? I mean that the pistons only move on 1/4th of the crankshafts rotation, and not all the time, like when using a real crankshaft.

Aah, now I see what you mean. 

I thought you meant they weren't moving continuous in the sense of something binding.

I've used this technique bore, as recently as two years ago, though I didn't use the oval cam pieces, I used crankshaft parts.

Chassis V2

I tried using crankshaft pieces too, and while that definatelly makes for a very compact mechanism, it can only do a very unsatisfying and unrealistic firing order.  I guess in your case there was no choice due to space issues :sceptic:

Edited by Gray Gear