Sign in to follow this  
AlexSam

[MOC] Sixth rate 20-guns Frigate (modular build)

Ahoy Eurobricks!
Let me introduce this build, based on classic 6285 set - the one and only "Black Seas Barracuda"

Inspiration
I took 4 mid  sections, and add mast. no less or more. For this setup the hull has no need to be widened to look right in my opinion. Also, I don't like much general view of the well known builders technique, which I call "minecraft style", so I tried to make as much as possible lower profile, (frigate silhouette) of the 18th-19th Century with flat decks to avoid stairs of pieces and so on. The next step I realized that can't put as much detail into it in that scale as I wanted first so I decided to make this ship look more simple, classic without crazy rigging or something. Just similar to official Lego old but gold ships sets and between realism. 

Build
It’s build to transport as strong as possible and at the same time this ship is modular! So I can (quite) easily split hull up for the 3 parts (front, middle, back) and also remove each side to get more opportunity to play with! And yes! All known Lego original play features are on board. A place to store chest, cannonballs and cargo, lift crane, a capstan to raising and lowering an anchor with my own design, access to gun deck and firepower and captain cabin with full interior, working compass and of course working ship wheel which turns the rudder (similar to 6286 set). Also added customs sails total of nine.

Absolutely love the technic (of my own? Please correct) that I used for the front. There is often a tons of slopes I saw on other ships builds. The back (under the cabin) has also some replace technic for the slopes which I never saw before. (pls correct). The middle uses simply slopes technic to get the right angle, and mount, which I designed. Seems nothing to add here

Hope you enjoy! Let me know in the comments !

1371e00c36d5.jpg

Edited by AlexSam

I‘m new here, but I‘ve been reading these forums for the past few weeks because Lego pirate ships are my passion. 

I think this build is a nice compromise between Perfectionist‘s historically accurate and custom rigged museum–level models and the classic Lego pirate play sets.

What I like about this build is that it does not rely on a crazy amount of mid sections like many other pirate ship mocs, and uses the original Lego rigging pieces instead of custom building the rigging from cord (apologize if that‘s not the correct wording, I‘m not a native speaker). 

Not too sure about the cannon right in the middle of the captain‘s cabin. I‘d perhaps try to have the same amount of guns but reduce the space between guns by 1 stud each. The custom sails look amazing. I would love to know what kind of fabric you used for them. 

Absolutely love that you built it with playability in mind. And yet it actually resembles a real 18th century frigate. Nice work! Would love to see you try your hands on a pirate bermuda sloop! 

Good work and admirable first post!

Thank you! 

1 hour ago, Jabberwocky said:

Not too sure about the cannon right in the middle of the captain‘s cabin

The idea was that war ships of the line used every centimeter to add number of guns instead of comfort!
For example:

Edited by AlexSam

2 minutes ago, AlexSam said:

Thank you! 

The idea was that war ships of the line used every centimeter to add number of guns instead of comfort!
For example:

I see! ? looks crazy to me, but obviously historically accurate ???

Welcome to Eurobricks, Mister AlexSam! This is an absolute beauty of a ship you have here! I love that you included all the classic looks and playful elements of the old ships. The turnable rudder and the hook hanging off the mast for the chest are very nostalgic and always bring me joy to see. The sails look very nothing short of excellent! You also did a wonderful job with smoothly sloping the bow and stern!

Thanks for posting this ship and making my morning that much better! Look forward to seeing more from you, and once again, warm greetings to Eurobricks! :laugh:

Captain Roger will be very pleased with conquering the seven seas with this beaut'! 

It's fantastic! I love it! :pir-classic:
And the sails are awesome!

How did you make the sails?
And how do you support the side of the ship?

Photos are a bit "dark".  I'd love it if you could upload some more "sunny" photos.

Can you also provide more photos of the interior?
Especially: 
a capstan to raising and lowering an anchor with my own design
working steering wheel 
- captain's cabin
- ship split in 3 parts (front, middle, back)

I'm thrilled with all the playability features!

23 hours ago, Jabberwocky said:

The custom sails look amazing. I would love to know what kind of fabric you used for them

Thank you! The sails are made from linen! Suitable material, I will definitely demonstrate them closer. Stay tuned 

21 hours ago, The Neighborhood Merchant said:

Thanks for posting this ship and making my morning that much better!

Its my pleasure! Thank you! Photo update will come soon, stay in touch

17 hours ago, Brickander Brickumnus said:

Photos are a bit "dark".  I'd love it if you could upload some more "sunny" photos.

17 hours ago, Brickander Brickumnus said:

Can you also provide more photos of the interior?

Thank you! Already working on them:pir-classic:

On 3/2/2020 at 1:11 AM, AlexSam said:

Ahoy Eurobricks!
Let me introduce this build, based on classic 6285 set - the one and only "Black Seas Barracuda"

Very nice!

Your MOC has been posted as a Classic Pirates social media story...

Sixth rate 20-guns Frigate by AlexSam.jpg

16 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

Your MOC has been posted as a Classic Pirates social media story...

Thank you so much Mister Phes! And iam very glad that this moc can be a story to Classic Pirate Page! Huge photo update is on the horizon!

Edited by AlexSam

On 3/2/2020 at 1:06 AM, Brickander Brickumnus said:

a capstan to raising and lowering an anchor with my own design

Lets start with! 
dc345a641a70.jpg

1a0cf6f556f1.jpg

Edited by AlexSam

working steering wheel 
- captain's cabin

6ce4370de766.jpg

f66dfae7f8b5.jpg

- ship split in 3 parts (front, middle, back)

2291a04a245d.jpg

a8796e82ffcb.jpg

027641956258.jpg

Edited by AlexSam

12 hours ago, Brickander Brickumnus said:

Wow! Thanks a lot for all the photos! :pir-sweet:

You're welcome!

On 3/1/2020 at 5:11 PM, AlexSam said:

this ship is modular! So I can (quite) easily split hull up for the 3 parts (front, middle, back) and also remove each side to get more opportunity to play with!

Its interesting, how this beauty reminds me my own creation in some technic decisions! 
Do you like this new one? 

21322_alt5.thumb.jpeg.cf0ccfdcc04e9c7c716d2d4fcf7780e6.jpeg

On 3/26/2020 at 7:27 PM, Masked Mini said:

Did you remove the photos?

Yes, the first time I made them a bit "dark", then was a problem with my local photo hosting. Sorry about that! Now there is no time to renew
Here's one actual :
a464db4bfe7f.jpg

Where da minifigs?  (I write that far too often)

But this is a magnficent ship in its own right so it can be posted on the Classic Pirates Facebook Page.

@AlexSam, looks nice, very good in compressing a large ship on this small size. Can you tell what kind of part is the top of the bow+stern hull in black?

I know it only in brown/red for the big hull parts: https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=2557&name=Boat Hull Large Bow 12 x 16 x 5 1/3, Top&category=[Boat]#T=C

Probably I would change the colour of the gallery windows to fit those ones at the stern.

So thats what my new Barracuda is going to kind of look like! I just got the parts for a new mast, but still weeks away from finished. I'll be expanding the deck out to give the ship a wider gundeck.