Sign in to follow this  
Pdaitabird

9V Shunter

This little British-style tank engine is built around an old 9v train motor. I've had this model up on Flickr for some time, but just got around to posting it here. It's unfortunate that the 9v motor doesn't accommodate moving rods, but I can always pretend the engine has its brakes constantly applied to control those troublesome trucks!

9V Shunter9V Shunter9V Shunter9V Shunter

Thanks for looking!

Soli Deo Gloria

Edited by Pdaitabird
Kant spel

Very Jinty-like! The brick-built lining and little details certainly make her model stand out, although I can't help thinking that the bunker is a bit too large and featureless in comparison; perhaps some access steps, or clips to store shovels and shunting poles under the overhang like the GWR pannier tanks had.

How big is she in comparison with rolling stock?

Very nice! Great trick with the small train wheel for the stack too. This build highlights one of the joys of the 9v system- small space needed for the power. So you took full advantage to do the pin-striping around the water tanks. Lots of great detailing in such a small package- working some serious compression magic.

@Paperinik77pk @LEGO Train 12 Volts Thank you!

@ColletArrow Excellent suggestions! I've added some tool storage and made the bunker a bit smaller - see pictures below of the revised model as well as a shot with some rolling stock. I'm torn between using the red toolbox piece or black cheese slopes in the same location...

@zephyr1934 @Brandon Pea Thanks!

9V Shunter9V Shunter9V Shunter

Soli Deo Gloria

@Paperinik77pk Thanks! And after getting the coupler caught on the longer buffers in an s-curve, I'm inclined to agree with you...back to the old reliable design it is!

Here's a fun alternate configuration for fans of the Railway Series...any suggestions for a name?

9v Shunter

(My train layout, like Camelot, is a silly place.)

6 minutes ago, Pdaitabird said:

@Paperinik77pk Thanks! And after getting the coupler caught on the longer buffers in an s-curve, I'm inclined to agree with you...back to the old reliable design it is!

Here's a fun alternate configuration for fans of the Railway Series...any suggestions for a name?

SNIP

(My train layout, like Camelot, is a silly place.)

He looks like he should be named Tim @Pdaitabird. Why you ask? The colors of the engine remind me of Tim the Enchanter's robes from the film which you are referencing, and he does indeed make smoke and fire just like the character from the Monty Python film.

Edited by Murdoch17

She looks perfect! Up until those eyes appeared, anyway... :tongue:

It's right at home with the mineral wagon & brake van. Overall I like what you're doing, creating freelance but perfectly plausible-looking models. Keep up the good work!

On March 2, 2020 at 3:47 PM, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Nice model but I prefer your version :wink:

18 hours ago, Man with a hat said:

Oh, nice. 

Thanks for the kind words! A new update: I built this locomotive to use in a shunting puzzle and have now got the layout up and running. I've added a video demonstrating a brief operating session.

Thanks for watching!

Soli Deo Gloria

Having a British steam locomotive as PC wallpaper (and reading this topic today) I noticed a detail in chimney's shape (what I call "the hat") , which you already reproduced putting the small train wheel (which is a great idea  :wub:  and will be promptly stol... ehm  ... used as inspiration :tongue::laugh_hard:).

Currently the small wheel has its narrow part facing up - what about to try facing it down, towards the boiler?

_---_      --->      --__--  

This should better folllow the inversed cone shape of the British chimney's top more faithfully.  It's only a trial to see how it looks like  - the locomotive is already really really nice  :wub:

Ciao!

Davide

3 hours ago, Paperinik77pk said:

Currently the small wheel has its narrow part facing up - what about to try facing it down, towards the boiler?

_---_      --->      --__--  

This should better folllow the inversed cone shape of the British chimney's top more faithfully.  It's only a trial to see how it looks like  - the locomotive is already really really nice  :wub:

Thanks! I actually have the wheel facing the other way on my other locomotive - here's a comparison shot:

Chimney Styles

I'm still not sure which style I prefer.

8 hours ago, Pdaitabird said:

Thanks! I actually have the wheel facing the other way on my other locomotive - here's a comparison shot:

I'm still not sure which style I prefer.

Nice comparison!!!

The older version is still better! The new one  seems too flat on top :sceptic:.

Starting from some images found browsing around, I tried to understand how the chimneys are made:

zc31zuJMqtwzdXfdm9_ExE6mPtKMTemDt6g5GDyS

...and I tried to replicate it on my clockwork British locomotive :classic:...the shape is large,then narrow, then again large. Over the top of the upper cone there's again a small cylinder.

20200304_194746

20200304_194722

I tried to recreate the  lower cone shape which connects the boiler to the chimney, but still the top part is not convincing me :hmpf_bad:

20200304_194701

...train wheels are very useful :wub:

Ciao!

Davide

Edited by Paperinik77pk

Very nice little shunting layout, @Pdaitabird - if only the loco could run a little slower, the sudden rocket-like movement does detract from the realism somewhat. The rolling stock looks great together though.

And these funnel designs... they're so elegant and victorian, and fit the slightly-earlier feel of your locos perfectly; I'm definitely going to have to try some of them sometime. If you fancy a fatter chimney as often used on later-designed locos, then these tyres fit neatly over cylinders/technic tube things/mini wheels...

Like this?

Hogwarts Express

(Different tire than the one you linked - this is the tire that fits around a plane wheel)

Edited by Phil B

21 hours ago, Pdaitabird said:

Thanks for the kind words! A new update: I built this locomotive to use in a shunting puzzle and have now got the layout up and running. I've added a video demonstrating a brief operating session.

Thanks for watching!

Soli Deo Gloria

I just watched the video...those decoupling devices are great...and that piano on the flatbed is awesome :wub_drool:

4 hours ago, Paperinik77pk said:

I tried to recreate the  lower cone shape which connects the boiler to the chimney, but still the top part is not convincing me :hmpf_bad:

You've got a nice solution for a difficult shape...bother those British with their fancy chimneys!

1 hour ago, Paperinik77pk said:

I just watched the video...those decoupling devices are great...and that piano on the flatbed is awesome :wub_drool:

Thank you! The decoupler was designed by @CamelBoy68 - he explains it in this topic. I reverse-engineered the piano from an online image (designer unknown) years ago...it makes an unusual load for a railway car!

2 hours ago, ColletArrow said:

Very nice little shunting layout, @Pdaitabird - if only the loco could run a little slower, the sudden rocket-like movement does detract from the realism somewhat. The rolling stock looks great together though.

Thank you! You're right about the speed - there's a bit of a dead spot on the straight part of the points and I have to fly through it to keep the motor from stalling. Anywhere else on the layout, I can use the lowest speed setting with no issues. Is this a common issue with 9v points or might my track just need a good cleaning? :laugh: