Dorino

[MOC] Sea Exploration Ship 2.0

Hello everyone!

Two years ago, freshly after second dark ages i tried to make my own version of one of my all time favorite sets 6560 - Diving Expedition Explorer. As long as i was happy with Submarine (because it was an 1:1 attempt to reverse engineer somebody's moc) i was never happy with the ship. In fact, nowadays i ask myself why did i even made photos of it :laugh:  Link to the ship moc

Today, i present you updated version of the same heavily inspired by LEGO ship creation.

20200228_134847

The idea is the same. Ship that carries submarine to "interesting" area of the ocean. The size of the ship is defined by Window 2 x 8 x 2 Boat piece. I wish i had the trans-black version of the glass, but unfortunately it only comes in one set, 10155 - Maersk Line Container Ship

The crane was designed by @ColletArrow for 2018 Train Building Contest  I was always big fan of his moc so i decided to implement it in my ship.

20200228_134103

20200228_134127

The ship also carries emergency rubber raft for when things go bad.

While designing the hull of the boat i was focused on getting that "fork" in the stern side of the boat just like in original lego set. Somehow i came up with idea of play feature that extends the "landing" platform of the ship.

20200228_134328

The use of the extendable platform is unknown to me, as i have no idea why would anyone design actual boat like this :laugh:

The crane can reach the submarine and put it safely in the water. The rubber raft can also be detached, leaving the ship alone.

20200228_134344

20200228_134409

20200228_134438

I still can't decide if the ship looks better with or without the extra vehicles but here is the photo of it.

20200228_134504

I already mentioned that submarine is part of the source material set. This time, in my moc, it's a one person, small submarine somehow branded by MINI!

20200228_133940

It features the arms, to grab potential ocean treasures and big light in front of the cabin.

20200228_133935

It's propelled by single motor and carries single speargun for when the diver gets in trouble!

Like always, more photos on my Flickr Album I hope you like it.

EDIT: Only now i realized that some photos are out of focus, should have checked that before :/

I love it. Brick built hulls look so much better. 

What's the number plate looking sticker on the side, it's driving me crazy how familiar it is

The boat is awesome, love the use of the half triangle tiles to transition the white/grey.

But that sub is my favorite! It's just the perfect size and uses the sloped red piece beautifully.

2 hours ago, Merlict said:

What's the number plate looking sticker on the side, it's driving me crazy how familiar it is

87079pb150.png

41999 4 x 4 Crawler Exclusive Edition

Very nice!! The colour scheme of the ship is spot on with the brick built transition between the white and grey. Great use of printed/stickered parts too and the sliding platform might be a bit wacky but it looks really good.

Excellent work - thanks for sharing!!