Brick-Wombat

[MOC] Munificent Class Star Frigate

I was never a huge fan of this ship... but once I started modeling, I couldn't stop. It's a unique ship in terms of shape, and, at only 39 studs, it's at a very manageable scale. Same scale as @Kristof's Venator.This is one that I plan to build, and I'm confident in its rigidity, despite the skeletal structure. Admittedly, the gray 3x3x2 dome top (pn 88293) is too tall for the rear armor plating, but I didn't like the blocky aesthetic of the alternatives. A 3x3x1 dome top would be ideal, or even a wedge 3x3 variant of pn 43708, but, alas, we can't have everything in life. 

Renders

Spoiler

Munificent Class Star Frigate

Iso Top View

Iso Rear View

Front View

Side View

Side-by-side with Krisof's Venator

Munificent and Venator

UPDATE:

Here's a shot of the build next to Kristof's Venator.

More images of the Munificent build can be found in the replies.

Munificent Star Frigate

Side-by-side: Munificent and Venator

Edited by Brick-Wombat

Im not sure if I am extatic or upset :D I always wanted to build this scaled ship and now it’s pointless because you did a perfect job! Then again knowing how slow my bucket list items actually get to the point of being picked up, letalone worked on and completed, I know very well that I’d likely have grandchildren before getting to it :D

I dont think the dome piece looks out pf place for that rear armor plating. Overall I love the design and I am eagerly awaiting the physical build!!

Fantastic work! I really like how you were able to create the bowing armor in the front and rear and great greebling details as well. Great work! Any chance we'll see a built model of this? 

Edited by Evergreen

Any plans of doing a show & tell for the fleet acclamator you did?

Starting the weekend off the right way. I found a couple fixes which will require another BrickLink order, but at least we have progress. Too often these little creations never see the light of day. Fortunately, that's not the case for this one.

Spoiler

Munificent WiP

The forward facing turbolasers were a fun challenge at this scale. 

Spoiler
Forward facing turbolaser canons. This was an especially fun part to figure out.

Edited by Brick-Wombat

^ This is so cool it gives me shivers :)

On 2/26/2020 at 7:15 PM, Brick-Wombat said:

Thanks @Kristof! Glad you approve. Any idea when we'll get a scaled Invisible Hand? :wink: They'd pair very nicely together!

:blush: You know how I am. The design is probably above 95% finished. Bricklink orders for some missing parts are pending tho - little time to manage that these days.

On 3/8/2020 at 6:24 AM, Kristof said:

^ This is so cool it gives me shivers :)

:blush: You know how I am. The design is probably above 95% finished. Bricklink orders for some missing parts are pending tho - little time to manage that these days.

I'm quickly discovering the limitless power of the 85861 1x1 open stud! BobDeQuatre's intern structure of his Zenith cruiser is another great showcase of how useful that piece is. 

I'm thinking that this piece and the use of mixel joints can vastly improve the structural design of the Acclamator. So many projects, so little time. :sweet:

Edited by Brick-Wombat

Finally done!

Turned out better than I expected.

Munificent Star Frigate

Spoiler
Munificent Star Frigate

Spoiler
Munificent Star Frigate

Spoiler

Munificent Star Frigate

Edited by Brick-Wombat

I almost feel bad for how good this makes me feel to just see the finished model (given the overall state of things). But hey... there is nothing stopping me from getting excited when some model looks this cool! Fantastic job!

On 3/19/2020 at 5:18 PM, Kristof said:

I almost feel bad for how good this makes me feel to just see the finished model (given the overall state of things). But hey... there is nothing stopping me from getting excited when some model looks this cool! Fantastic job!

I'm especially thankful for things like Lego during times like these because they can add a semblance of normalcy and joy to an otherwise chaotic and stressful set of circumstances.

Edited by Brick-Wombat

Fantastic work, the greebling looks spot on! I wonder what you’d be able to achieve at a larger scale!

On 3/21/2020 at 6:01 AM, Ellisss_2 said:

Fantastic work, the greebling looks spot on! I wonder what you’d be able to achieve at a larger scale!

I was contemplating how to tackle a larger scale version, and I think I got very lucky with the pieces available at this scale. The combination of 41747/41748 and 41749/41750 allows for a very smooth bow section. 

iacUJku.png

To tackle a larger scale, I think the armor panels would inevitably be more blocky. The designer for the Munificent linked below did a good job in my opinion, but he had to create a stepped pattern to achieve the slope/taper at the scale. 

https://moc.bricklink.com/pages/moc/mocitem.page?idmocitem=7652

With that said, I've learned that few things are impossible with Lego. Raskolnikov demonstrated that smooth curves can be achieved even at larger scales with his MC80. Unfortunately, my skills aren't on that level! 

...yet.

Edited by Brick-Wombat

Fun fact - these large bow pieces were one of the (admittedly minor) determining factors for this scale :) My munificent design never got past some crude dimensional mockups in LDD but these pieces were the first in place and it was clearly too good of a match to be turned down!