By now folks have likely heard that TLG is experimenting with the idea of offering official, LEGO light kits for sets. Articles for what folks have stumbled across thus far can be found below:

https://brickset.com/article/48909/night-mode-more-information

I am making this post (1) to see the interest, if any, among AFOLs here in the Technic forum  for these lights and
                                   (2) other thoughts about the light sets other than interest (i.e. hopes, aspirations, caveats, etc.)

My initial thoughts are

(1) yes, I would love official light sets for Technic sets.  I have used thirty party light sets for years and I would love to compare the third party suppliers to an official LEGO product. 
(2) Once again this highlights, IMO, the risible nature of purist versus non-purist arguments of building preference.  My sentiment can best be illustrated by a recent comment on one of the sites that discusses the Lego Night Mode experiment.  This comment reads:

"this is good news for the purists among us." 

Lol... Something that has been available for YEARS by thirty-party producers (and even by TLG in PF form), just because LEGO now might make an official kit that makes it purist?  Off-topic , I know, but it is funny to me....

I have zero interest in this, but read the news. It is a bit hidden in the Brickset article, but one very important aspect of this to be read here by Brickstuff:

https://medium.com/@brickstuff/lighting-the-lego-world-eff6e41e94d6

"Where does this leave us, considering today’s announcements? Seeing knock-off designs of your product in a LEGO® branded box is a shocking development from a company that puts such a strong emphasis on fairness that they have named their official company policy on intellectual property and copyright as “Fair Play.” It is also shocking considering the goal of the Lead User Lab is to foster information-sharing from small companies who already have more than a little fear about having their ideas appropriated by a much larger enterprise."

Just a small quote - but please read the whole article before jumping into discussion (I did). If it is so, and seems to be to me, than this is a very disgraceful move from TLG, especially considering the fight they have with copycats.

So even if I would buy such thing, for sure till this is not cleared ethically, I would go for Brickstuff lights in first place. But probably even after that - I stand for innovators.

Edited by agrof

Lego is in desperate need of a new official lighting system now that PF along with their lights have been phased out, but set-specific lighting kits seem a bit odd, is there really such a big market for those?

Agree, they should add lights, it takes out our work when we try to improvise and it's needed as some sceneries actually need lighting for the details to pop out.

Currently there are almost two dozen Star Wars sets sitting on my shelves, from the Original X-Wing to the last Falcon, and I will get the last ISD this year.

(Btw thanks Efferman for designing that amazing MF stand)

I usually have no lights on in the room as there is an aquarium that provides enough ambient light,  so the sets rest in a penumbra cast by the shelves themselves.

I realized how amazing lights would look and last year I decided it was time to budget for some leds.

So one by one those sets will be disassembled, washed  with warm soapy water, and rebuilt including third party or custom lights.

Some sets deserve to be lit by design, so it is a shame that when TLG made the second edition of the XWing, Snowspeeder, MF and ISD missed the opportunity.

5 hours ago, higgins91 said:

see this topic:

I made this thread here specifically for Technic fans.  As a Technic junkie, I know this forum and its fans.  Not off of us make it over to other areas of EB. 

ok but it's a shame to have two places to talk about the same subject (even if here we're talking more about the technic side) ;)

For me, lights don't play a big role in my life, although I would like to see them incorporated in Technic sets with the C+ system (beacon light, turning light, or even when reversing). So buying them separately can reduce the sets' price, but I'd rather include it in them.