Sign in to follow this  
Medzomorak

[IDEA] Jenny Thunder: Escape from Skelly Island

IDEA submitted by JasonsBrickStop, it was discovered and linked by @leafan in the pirate section previously. I've invited Jason to join us, it seems he did not have the time or the intention to do so yet. 

Still, I think this build is truly such an underrated gem within IDEAS that it deserves an own thread.

resize:1600:900

resize:1600:900

I'd like to summarize some personal opinions on pros and cons about this as an IDEAS submission. I have mostly positive view of course, but as it only stands with ~500 votes at the moment I try to list some things why it might be wrongfully underperforming despite it's greatness and potential.

resize:1600:900resize:1600:900

Pros:

• It is actually very well scaled in piece count, nothing unrealistic to instantly eliminate itself from competition
  • Great combination of newer elements with oldschool atmosphere
  • Pretty astonishing design with lots of different play features and scenes, color scheme is diverse but organic - something what Lego would do itself to make it noticeable
  • The build is a little bit of everything, obviously a jungle but also some pirates/oriental theme. Not too much but far from boring and empty.
  • It is Adventurers so one of the coolest things a Lego set can ever become, period

Cons:
  • It is Adventurers, sadly Lego has a questionable motivation and even reputation with rebooting themes.
  • Also today's kids don't really have any emotional links to this theme, that might cause the lower performance (or just not enough publicity)
  • I'm not sure of the figs, they are pretty nice for templating the historical atmosphere, but too many overused parts from older sets (I guess customizing them is just not 100% priority)
  • Without proper lore explanation this might remain a great theme concept instead of an individual IDEAS set.

I'm still hoping Jason is going to accept the invitation and will share us some insight about his motivation and standpoints while building this great idea. Also discussions of any detail would be quite welcomed. 

I personally think this is one of the most careful and sophisticated designs I have ever seen as an attempt to revive an old but also ageless classic.
Edited by Medzomorak

22 minutes ago, Medzomorak said:

I've invited Jason to join us, it seems he did not have the time or the intention to do so yet. 

I had the audacity to dare him via Instagram to create a pirate version.

47 minutes ago, Medzomorak said:

IDEA submitted by JasonsBrickStop, it was discovered and linked by @leafan in the pirate section previously. I've invited Jason to join us, it seems he did not have the time or the intention to do so yet. 

Still, I think this build is truly such an underrated gem within IDEAS that it deserves an own thread.

Oooooh, I've forgotten about this project! *oh2* It's not often you see Adventurer-themed projects submitted to LEGO Ideas, and this is a pretty sweet one considering... :thumbup: :smug:

Heads up to @The Reader if he's around, as he'd definitely take some interest in this one... :wink:

3 hours ago, Wingardium Legiosa said:

Wow, this is hitting me right in the nostalgic feels! Thanks for bringing this to attention, def will be supporting :classic:

Thanks Sir/Lady Swish and Flick! I think this idea deserves all the support it can get, if not only to send a message for TLG.

4 hours ago, Robert8 said:

Amazing!

Thanks for sharing! 

You're welcome, it's @leafan's credit for sharing with us :) 

4 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

I had the audacity to dare him via Instagram to create a pirate version.

That'd be awesome, I hope he keeps building these classic stuff. Have you checked his other builds? Those are set-worthy creations (at least in my fundamentalist eye). 

Edited by Medzomorak

1 hour ago, Medzomorak said:

Have you checked his other builds?

Yes, Classic Pirates follows him on Instagram.  And by Classic Pirates I mean me, since I'm the only manning the Instagram account at this time.

1 hour ago, Mister Phes said:

Yes, Classic Pirates follows him on Instagram.  And by Classic Pirates I mean me, since I'm the only manning the Instagram account at this time.

I see.