Sign in to follow this  
TJsBricks

[MOC] 1:400 Willis (Sears) Tower

1:400 Willis Tower [Lego MOC]

Hello,

I'm proud to present to you my newest MOC, Willis Tower, formerly Sears Tower, at a 1:400 scale.

Pieces - 23,037                                                                                                                                                                                               

Height - 131 Centimetres (51.4")

My take on the iconic Willis Tower, formerly Sears Tower. The structure of the tower itself is relatively simple as it is just the same four patterns repeated. That said, The base more than made up for the tower's lack of complexity. Featuring sloped roads and split level entrances it took a lot of trial and error and of course, time, to get to this result. 

I am really quite happy with how this model turned out. It was worth all the effort. I cannot wait to try my hand at more skyscrapers in the future.

The Willis Tower is a 110-story 1,450-foot (442.1 m) skyscraper in Chicago, Illinois At completion in 1973, it surpassed the World Trade Center in New York City to become the tallest building in the world, a title that it held for nearly 25 years; it was also the tallest building in the Western Hemisphere for 41 years, until the new One World Trade Center surpassed it in 2014. While it held the title of "Tallest Office Building" until 2014, it lost the title of "Tallest Man-Made Structure" after only 3 years. The CN Tower in Toronto, which serves as a communications tower, took over the title in 1976. The Willis Tower is considered a seminal achievement for architect Fazlur Rahman Khan. It is currently the third-tallest building in the United States and the Western Hemisphere – and the 23rd tallest in the world. Each year, more than one million people visit its observation deck, the highest in the United States, making it one of Chicago's most popular tourist destinations. The structure was renamed in 2009 by the Willis Group as a term of its lease.

More pictures can be found on my Flickr, https://www.flickr.com/photos/186855130@N08/albums/72157713216189008

-TJ

Edited by TJsBricks

Very nice MOC.

One reason these sets never get made official or at a large scale is the repetitive nature of the building process and design. 

What do the internals look like? Is it solid or just a digital exterior? Edit: nvm I looked at the flickr link, very nice.

Look forward to more skyscrapers at this scale in the future

Edited by aussie_huddo

looks great, simple yet effective the best way in my opinion, love the slanted road part  

like you i would love to see some bigger scale stuff (even though i dont have space) but like aussie said i cant even bare to think about how long and repetitive the build would be for this 

This is such a wonderful build. My wife is from Chicagoland and we both went to a college 45 min. away by train from downtown. I've wanted to build a bigger version of the Sears Tower (locals refuse to call it the Willis Tower, by and large), so it is really neat to see your crack at it. Do you have any interest in selling a parts list and instructions for it? I am brand new to this forum, so forgive me if such requests are unwelcome.