Lego David

Why is LEGO so hesitant about bringing back classic themes?

While I haven't bought any Technic branded sets for like 20 years (my last ones being year 2000 Slizers), getting the Technic-experience via system sets nowadays does certainly show it's success.

The bricks with holes, axles, pins and gears still being in use today, even in sets from Creator 3-in-1, Nexo Knights and many other themes.

The mechanisms in system sets are usually simpler but I do like how they integrate a lot of them.

Edited by TeriXeri

5 hours ago, MAB said:

it just means "bucket sets"

It "means bucket sets", the "just" is not necessary. It means imagination and building is required.

BTW, when I was building out of bucket sets, some 50 years ago, there were black/white/blue/yellow/red/green/grey ... and I could not care less about the colors as there were never enough bricks anyways. When I see young children building with bricks (not building sets) today - they don't care that much either. At least this is what I have experienced. So whether or not there are tons of colors may not be the most important thing.

Best
Thorsten

3 minutes ago, ShaydDeGrai said:

I know people who ONLY do Technic sets

True. One way to quickly check on this: Go the EB Technic forum and tell them "I like studded mixed with studless", fasten seatbelt and wait a couple of minutes to see the sh*t hitting the fan:innocent:

It is crazy what they build over there - with not a single studded brick.

Best
Thorsten

Just now, Toastie said:

It "means bucket sets", the "just" is not necessary. It means imagination and building is required.

BTW, when I was building out of bucket sets, some 50 years ago, there were black/white/blue/yellow/red/green/grey ... and I could not care less about the colors as there were never enough bricks anyways. When I see young children building with bricks (not building sets) today - they don't care that much either. At least this is what I have experienced. So whether or not there are tons of colors may not be the most important thing.

True, for kids the colors won't matter that much.

I grew up in the limited color period as well, most regular bricks in those "buckets" were yellow, red, blue, white, black.

Still, according to this graph 2005 had the most colors.

1*b_EAzP7n_szRv_lznM_2tw.png

10 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

The bricks with holes

And already here you may start serious debates about the studs on top of the bricks.

The thing is though that Technic bricks/beams etc mixed with studded parts opens up entirely new universes of building techniques never possible with studs only. In turn, adding studded elements open entirely new possibilities to Technic models.

The other thing is what these Technic folks build. These are mostly highly functional cars/cranes/trucks etc. requiring a lot of reinforcement. It would never work with studded parts only as the torque on the multiple axles and moving parts would tear apart any stud-only models in seconds.

And although these seem to be entirely different worlds in many regards - bringing them together was - for me - another LEGO miracle.

Best
Thorsten

Edited by Toastie

3 minutes ago, Toastie said:

And already here you may start serious debates about the studs on top of the bricks.

Oh the combination of Technic Beams + Studded Bricks with holes opened up a whole different level for sure. 

Both types certainly have their place into the parts inventories, and both are even seen in System themes.

I also think it's great to see system parts being used in Technic theme sets, like the front of Mack Anthem or sides of Land Rover, just to name some recent sets.

But back on the main topic, Technic being in system themes certainly isn't a recent thing. 

3673.jpg were used in the very first Yellow Castle in 1978

Edited by TeriXeri

28 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

Still, according to this graph 2005 had the most colors.

Oh yes, I love this graph. Mostly because I am seriously color-blind, so I usually don't have any issues with that:head_back: (One of my former graduate researchers had a T-shirt with these color bubbles - the bubbled color coded text within the bubbles said "F*ck the color-blind" - and it took me hours to find out why everybody was laughing their butt off when I showed up - it was hilarious)

Thinking about it: Isn't that sheer number of colors available today an homage to the LEGO AFOLs? To the modelers, who take it seriously? As already speculated - I believe most kids don't care. 

Best
Thorsten 

Edited by Toastie

10 hours ago, Toastie said:

I think you have misinterpreted my use of "just". Of course it is great that kids are playing with the modern Classic range sets and hopefully designing their own builds / free building. However, this thread is about classic themes, such as Classic Space, Classic Castle and Pirates. I don't think the good sales of the bucket type Classic sets will mean that LEGO decide to bring back what AFOLs call Classic themes - Space, Castle and Pirates. Hence the use of the word just. Modern Classic buckets have no overlap with 1970-90s Classic themes.

As to colours, I agree. Many kids, especially younger ones, don't care about the colours too much when free building.

10 hours ago, Toastie said:

Thinking about it: Isn't that sheer number of colors available today an homage to the LEGO AFOLs? To the modelers, who take it seriously? As already speculated - I believe most kids don't care.

I think it is more about trying to keep LEGO exciting than doing it for serious modellers. If they wanted to please serious builders, then they would make sure that all the heavily used parts are available in all colours.

Edited by MAB

17 hours ago, Toastie said:

The thing is though that Technic bricks/beams etc mixed with studded parts opens up entirely new universes of building techniques never possible with studs only. In turn, adding studded elements open entirely new possibilities to Technic models.

Very, very true.  Even when you don't see a single Technic element, the strength of those connections may be essential to builds that would otherwise collapse under their own weight if relying on clutch power alone.  A case in point, my Titan of Braavos MOC is build around a Technic skeleton and 'skinned' with system blocks.  There's no way system blocks, even with clips and hinges could support the weight of his shield (or balance on his ankles for that matter) without pin and beam construction at the core.

Spoiler

14322304113_DISPLAY.jpg

17 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

True, for kids the colors won't matter that much.

I grew up in the limited color period as well, most regular bricks in those "buckets" were yellow, red, blue, white, black.

Hey, I remember being very excited to get a window frame that wasn't red for the first time - not to mention getting a piece in green that wasn't a baseplate or a shrubbery ( as I think about the days of Lego before they even had minifigs, you kids have it easy - and get off my lawn :wink: )

I am seriously color-blind,

"F*ck the color-blind" -

- it was hilarious

You truly are Good Spirited!
It's a genuine pleasure to know (well, read) you Toastie.

To the modelers, who take it seriously?

I think it's this right here. Enough AFOLs have hired on at TLG as designers over the years. They may not be able to influence the company into bringing back this or that but they can design with an eye to increasing part and colour availability. "Fan favorite" Sand green springs to mind immediately.

1 hour ago, ShaydDeGrai said:

Hey, I remember being very excited to get a window frame that wasn't red for the first time - not to mention getting a piece in green that wasn't a baseplate or a shrubbery ( as I think about the days of Lego before they even had minifigs, you kids have it easy - and get off my lawn :wink: )

Yeah, green and brown were really rare outside of specialized pieces like trees, baseplates, horses or palm trees.

Grey mostly only was available via Space themes as well early on.

I remember getting my first brown 1x2 brick & plate with this set , and that was just to fill the gap on the horse's back when it wasn't using the saddle or pulling the wagon.

6056-1.jpg

My first green plates came with this in 1994

6278-1.jpg

Edited by TeriXeri

29 minutes ago, Brandon Pea said:

Hey guys! I found a licensed replacement for City. :laugh:

THE CHICAGO SERIES!!!!

To do a proper pitch, you should replace the people with minifigures in that poster.  :pir-classic:

On 3/15/2020 at 9:25 PM, dr_spock said:

To do a proper pitch, you should replace the people with minifigures in that poster.  :pir-classic:

Yeah....we should do that! Chicago Fire would be like City Fire sets for adults. I'd be all for that as maybe a special edition line of product. 

Edited by Brandon Pea

I would worry if TLG were to start doing sets based off of Chicago PD, Chicago Fire and Chicago Med. What if they become popular with children? Do you think it may affect City sales?