Ransom Fern

[MOC] [MOD] 71699 Thunder Raider Alternate Build

71699 Alternate Build

Threw this together in a day. Hope you guys like it :)

Edit: Here’s the original model

Thunder Raider original

Edited by Ransom Fern

Looks good @Ransom Fern! It's interesting how parts from 2 distinctly different vehicles (as designed) could fit as coherently into a build as this mech. The usage of  the "track" pieces for the various purposes such as shoulder pauldrons is really good, and adds a lot to the model. It's face is also quite remarkable, being consisted of so little pieces.

A side note though, you might want to include a picture of 71699, to help others to understand the set this was constructed from.

1 hour ago, Omega X said:

Looks good @Ransom Fern! It's interesting how parts from 2 distinctly different vehicles (as designed) could fit as coherently into a build as this mech. The usage of  the "track" pieces for the various purposes such as shoulder pauldrons is really good, and adds a lot to the model. It's face is also quite remarkable, being consisted of so little pieces.

A side note though, you might want to include a picture of 71699, to help others to understand the set this was constructed from.

Thanks for the kind words!

Good point on the inclusion of original model, let me put it in

Always like alternative builds, and this is no exception. Seeing this is a samurai mech this would fit in with the rest of the Ninjago stuff. 

This is awesome! I love the shoulder pads, aggressive feet and the fins on the knees. I designed this set and seeing people build cool stuff out of it couldn’t make me happier! 

Great alternate build.

Love those layered/offset shield tiles, also the sharp angled parts and color scheme just works very well.

Great alternate build.

Great use of those shield tiles in different places.

Also the sharp angled parts and color scheme just works very well.

The golden swords and threads really gives it the Ninjago Asian look as well.

On 3/26/2020 at 10:35 PM, toothdominoes said:

This is awesome! I love the shoulder pads, aggressive feet and the fins on the knees. I designed this set and seeing people build cool stuff out of it couldn’t make me happier! 

Senpai noticed me hahaha! Your original model is incredible Niek. It's the first set in a long time I actually "played" with instead of just build and appreciate :)

On 6/4/2020 at 10:33 PM, JRRoberts1997 said:

Ransom Fern is there any chance you could do a step-by-step instruction for building that mech.

I took him a part already... He shouldn’t be too difficult to reverse engineer. If you do and have questions along the way I’ll help if I can :)

Sorry if this is a necropost, but I am attempting to build this from the picture, and I am having major issues with the internal connections of this. So far I have the upper legs, fronts of the lower legs, feet, most of the arms, and part of the head done, but I can't figure out what goes in the spaces inside and on the back. Does anyone have any ideas?