legoMoccer

A-Team Van - Lego Ideas

After seeing that the A-team licence is now allowed back on lego ideas i have decided to clean up my old build, it takes inspiration from a few different vehicle builds, quite a lot of trucks, I originally built a version of this in 2018 after seeing a MOC by Willem G and Kevin8, their vans were the main inspiration especially for the tilt on the side panels (i have credited him for this amazing solution in my Ideas submission), i took their models apart and rebuilt them using my own techniques and details to hopefully make a better version, but over the years lego parts have changed a lot and so have techniques, so after a couple of years of messing around and looking at other techniques used on other builds of this van i am happy to present my version of this iconic vehicle, i believe thanks to the culmination of many MOCs, styles and builds ive seen over the years that this is one of the more screen accurate builds, one thing i think might be a little off is the front light bar, i think the parts i used were too thick, and as of yet i dont have the parts to build this so im unsure but i think the rear wheel/axle part might be an illegal build as it may put stress on the axle however i cant find out yet 

At the moment i am desiging the prints for each of the minifigures in photoshop, i think i will use the Mr T from Lego Dimensions maybe just adding so leg detail 

if anyone has any suggestions for the bull bars on the front please let me know or are they fine as it is?

PvSNKc5.png

Edited by legoMoccer

Nice! 

I've always wanted to see someone try out this piece for the red stripe but I'm not sure if the shape is perfect:

47397.png

oh damn that is a good piece for it, i will have a look to see if i can fit it at an angle in some way, i think the only issue there may be stability, my original model used just a decal but it looked a bit lazy  

i want to work on a speed champion scale one (the new larger scale), however its a lot harder to get details without resorting to decals

i was wondering if anyone here could help me with the faces, i have started to draw out the torsos in photoshop but i am looking for lego minifigure heads that will suit each of them as reference 

Face - Hannibal - Murdock (BA uses the dimensions figure)

7nSZNFZ.png

I guess, I am putting the "actually hat" on. The van never had any gray on it. It is Black with red highlights on it only. How the heck did the gray thing started? (Is their some sort of site that explains this?) 

23 minutes ago, samurai-turtle said:

I guess, I am putting the "actually hat" on. The van never had any gray on it. It is Black with red highlights on it only. How the heck did the gray thing started? (Is their some sort of site that explains this?) 

it was always grey, honestly it was, this is the mandela effect in full force, my dad used to watch the show with me swears its all black, we even went to a car show with the actual van used there and it was grey topped, still he does not believe it

the common theory/explanation is that some tvs back in the 80s a lot of TVs in peoples homes were poor quality, with bad pictures/colour grading so one some TVs the van would actually look all black from what i understand it is largely people from the USA who say the van was all black, perhaps the TVs over there didnt have the same colour making it harder to tell the difference between two dark shades 

23 minutes ago, samurai-turtle said:

i admit it is very hard to tell the difference, i 100% think its due to how people had their tv contrasts,

Edit: you know what it seems like their maybe two prop vans used, one them used in wide shots is 100% grey but in the close ups where the van gets rammed its all black 

Edited by legoMoccer

6 hours ago, kevin8 said:

oh by all means its no coincidence, i was very upfront and transparent about the fact that my model is based upon yours and WillemG's (the guy who made the one on MOC pages), i can say with 100% honesty that i have not paid or used your instructions, i would be happy to show you, my model borrows a lot of your techniques and shaping i wont argue that because well they are perfect and pretty much the only way to do this in this scale, i mostly used your design to do the side panels and shape of the windscreen this is bassicly a remix/reimaging of 3 other designs as well as my own (https://www.ciit.edu.ph/art-plagiarism/ - read tips on How to Avoid Art Plagiarism) i took things that worked on others and used them as building blocks to create my own version, i have been working on this for close to a year as i wanted to change/improve things to make it more TV accurate,   

i noticed yours has an engine, 5 seats and the ammo/weapon box these are all things i was not able to fit inside mine due to the support structure and the way i have set my sliding door up, god knows how you managed to fit all that inside yours but i wasnt able to, my model is 1571 pieces (not including the base)

Edited by legoMoccer

Ok, so you have been inspired by other works, but it is not an original work, because you said that the only way to make some details is to use solutions used by others. Let me say that I don't think so, because with the new pieces there are many more possibilities, among other things the same rear view mirrors could be made much better today.

But in the end, what did you write on the Lego Ideas registration form? Did you write that it's your creation? Because this is not true, not completely true. At this point, take one of  RoscoPC's F1, copy the bodywork without the internal kinematics and present it as your MOC ... It will not be perfectly identical, you will have been inspired, it will not have the interior, but if you present it on Lego Ideas as your own Moc, sorry, but you're lying ...

Another point that really upset me is that you worked 1 year on this moc and you presented the 83 GMC Vandura, while the 83, shown in the first 2, maybe 3, TV series, was shorter, had a more muzzle short and pitched, non-aerodynamic rear view mirrors and many other details that you will certainly know, if as you say you worked 1 year on a project ... but in reality you kept the details of the 87. In one year of work, haven't you noticed the differences?

I can assure you that for my part, after making the version of WillemG and seeing that it could be a good base, but it was too disproportionate to the original, I really went out of my way to be able to find solutions to create the '87 Vandura because compared to that of WillemG ('83) it seemed more racy. I spent hours looking for as much iconography as possible and days building the model with LDD ...

Anyway, for me you can tell it how you want, others will judge.

I have no intention of continuing on this subject.

PS: as you edited your post 4 hours after mine, we can see it. My name was not initially mentioned and you changed the render of the Vandura too... don't take me for a fool....

@kevin8 It’s not like you got the idea, I’m sure there’s a fair number of that van on any of the LEGO related sites. Of course it’ll be similar, you’re all creating the same van. Taking cues from ones any person saw is probably commonplace. That doesn’t mean the build he did isn’t his. It’s a popular van from a popular show. 

7 hours ago, Vindicare said:

@kevin8 It’s not like you got the idea, I’m sure there’s a fair number of that van on any of the LEGO related sites. Of course it’ll be similar, you’re all creating the same van. Taking cues from ones any person saw is probably commonplace. That doesn’t mean the build he did isn’t his. It’s a popular van from a popular show. 

I think even though I did technically make it my "own" design I do understand Kevin's complaint, I used his model as reference and looking back I think I borrowed too much from it I personally didn't see it until looking back, I have since apologized, however thanks to the complaint from Kevin I spent all of yesterday rebuilding this van from the ground up to make sure it was my own, it doesn't look as good in some sections but I am proud of it as I can say its my own 

I also think that making such a popular vehicle/building comes with risks like this, you look at other mocs for ideas but when you are building you don't realise how much you are actually borrowing from them, I remember the same thing when the James bond theme was first allowed on Lego ideas there was about 8 cars that all looked very similar, but as I said I'm personally happier with my new design as it is my own design

18 hours ago, legoMoccer said:

I think even though I did technically make it my "own" design I do understand Kevin's complaint, I used his model as reference and looking back I think I borrowed too much from it I personally didn't see it until looking back, I have since apologized, however thanks to the complaint from Kevin I spent all of yesterday rebuilding this van from the ground up to make sure it was my own, it doesn't look as good in some sections but I am proud of it as I can say its my own 

I also think that making such a popular vehicle/building comes with risks like this, you look at other mocs for ideas but when you are building you don't realise how much you are actually borrowing from them, I remember the same thing when the James bond theme was first allowed on Lego ideas there was about 8 cars that all looked very similar, but as I said I'm personally happier with my new design as it is my own design

I just didn’t like how he approached this. Of course they’re going to look similar, they’re based on the exact same vehicle. I can see plenty of differences in yours & his. Inspiration is a part of life, no matter what. People see things they like, so they use it themselves. Unrelated to LEGO but many moons ago when the video for Usher’s song “Yeah” came out, that camp Atlanta Braves hat flew off the shelves...at a store here in Cali. 

Even he said his van is based on a MOC he saw years ago on MOCPages...

6 hours ago, Vindicare said:

I just didn’t like how he approached this. Of course they’re going to look similar, they’re based on the exact same vehicle. I can see plenty of differences in yours & his. Inspiration is a part of life, no matter what. People see things they like, so they use it themselves. Unrelated to LEGO but many moons ago when the video for Usher’s song “Yeah” came out, that camp Atlanta Braves hat flew off the shelves...at a store here in Cali. 

Yeah that is true, still I have remade mine from the ground up to make sure it's a lot different this time so there can be no complaints,

And yeah inspiration is a big part of life, and if this was a legal case I would win, the laws state that for it to be classed as your own work it needs to be 40% your own work, it's how companies can make unlicensed products, however I still decided to make a new version that is my own 

On 2/28/2020 at 8:23 AM, Vindicare said:

2l4Fc1z.png

this is the remade version, built from scratch not following anyone elses work, i kept some thing from my other version but a lot had to be changed now that it is shorter and wider, but this is now my own moc so i can upload it to lego ideas  

Edited by legoMoccer
missing word

Great job! It looks awesome. I like how you integrated the minifigs into the base, makes for a cool display piece that way. 

thanks for the nice words, i have submitted it to Ideas, this time it cant be reported for being someone elses