Sign in to follow this  
MegaRoi

[TC17] Double Trouble - video added

First of all: many many thanks to @Jimfor creating another EB contest!

Finished!
51.jpeg

I'm ridiculously busy at the moment, that's why I'm not really active in this forum. I'm still interested in new sets, Mods, MOCs and general discussions but I'm really lacking time to participate in the discussions. I almost have no time to build!
Then Jim came up with another contest. Awesome.

Prologue:
Contest are always very welcome to me while they are only valid for a specific period and have new themes for MOCs out of my comfort zone.
But what to build?
The world is devastated after a nuclear war and resources are low. So my first idea was a vehicle than could provide a survival environment - find food, water and fuel. Survive in the wastelands ...
But then I decided that the main theme is Mad Max, so I would need a mad vehicle prepared for combat. Harvesting resources is secondary.
It should be something I have never build before and full RC ...

Starting the WIP:
Last weekend I was able to borough a camera, so now I can show some pics.
With a rough idea in mind I stuffed some parts together.
First thing was a standard rear axle:
01.jpeg
This will be my last iteration of the axle. While it's a pretty standard build it's using six shocks to support the weight of all the electronics and the BB.

The vehicle will be propelled by two L motors and will contain a damn simple two speed gearbox:
02.jpeg

And a standard rack and pinion front axle:
03.jpeg

You can see the two gear columns to change drive and steer to the opposite side:
04.jpeg

Now I have to reassemble the whole bunch and find an adequate colour scheme ...
05.jpeg

As you can see, there are still a lot of things to do and I'm really suffering under time pressure (I should have build a motorcycle) 
But hey, contests are for fun! So more to come ...
Edited by MegaRoi
edited actual state

15 hours ago, 1980SomethingSpaceGuy said:

Yes. There's never enough of 'em! :sweet:

You're right! But having Mad Max in mind I forgot that there are also bikes ...

Back to topic ... this is how the assembled bunch looks:

06.jpeg

07.jpeg

All the motors are in place and the mechanics do its work. The oblige belly shot offers ...

08.jpeg

... nothing. So this is a better view to get an impression what is planned:

09.jpeg

I hope I can show at next a rolling chassis with attached receivers and BB.

There is still incredible much work and almost no time left ...

Edited by MegaRoi

... and this is the fake engine I will use, viewed from the intake side:

111.jpeg

You can see, it's a DOHC engine - Double Over Head Camshaft - driven by gears. The cams are build by 2L half beams, means it's also a 4 valve system. The timing is not that bad.

The exhaust side:

112.jpeg

I have a rolling chassis!

11.jpeg

12.jpeg

This is still a WIP, so not all colours are final.

Now I have to create a shell and this will be the most difficult, while I don't have that many good colours for a Mad Max theme. But it's much too late to order them. And I'm still waiting for absolute necessary parts to arrive. But I'm still positive I can make it to the deadline of the competition ...

Since all the electronics found their place I was able to play a little with the bodywork do the last few days. This is how it turned out:

21.jpeg

It's still missing some decoration and details, but I'm not sure if I want or can do some, while I really don't have the necessary colours or parts. (nor ideas)

22.jpeg

Not everything is final, but I will keep the general shape.

23.jpeg

Okay, back to build, doing some general function tests and I still need a video ...

Okay, today was a day off work, so a huge progress with my entry was planned. Then this happened ...

30.jpeg

My entry fell off the kitchen table - which is higher than than normal - and splitter itself in several pieces. Even some pins were bend ...

Bad start, better progress: I was able to connect all pieces together and even found some decoration stuff:

31.jpeg

The function tests showed only small necessary changes. While I still miss some pieces and the video I'm somewhat satisfied.

More pics:

32.jpeg

33.jpeg

Lucky me, Jim moved the deadline a bit which helps a lot!

But in general, that's it.

Chears!

Edited by MegaRoi

It seems my entry doesn't generate much discussion ... I'm really late to the party and my entry doesn't have this beautiful spiky rusty Mad Max look that we've already seen. So maybe my entry doesn't fit the Mad Max theme perfect, but I think it's still a post apocalyptic vehicle and it is indeed what I had in mind when I started building. And I really had my fun!

Meanwhile the last parts arrived and I finished my entry!
51.jpeg

It is full RC and has six functions with seven motors:
- Steering - Servo Motor
- Drive - 2 L Motors
- Shifting - M Motor
- Turret turn - M Motor
- Turret elevation - M Motor
- Shoot - L Motor
image.gif

57.jpeg

More pics:
52.jpeg

53.jpeg

54.jpeg

56.jpeg

I still have to do the video ...

Mine didn't get a lot of reaction either, it's a bit frustrating indeed, but I guess that's because we're getting close to the deadline.. 

It also seems you get more reaction with huge builds. Even if their looks are arguable or they're so heavy they almost colapse under their own weight.

Whatever, I prefer small, well finished builds that you can actually swoosh around and display. 

By the way, I like this little hot rod, great style. The background of why it's a single seater remains a bit obscure; what kind of car was it in the first place ? Or did those post apocalyptic guys build it from scratch like that ? Then why a lot of care on some details while others are left rather raw ? Anyway, it's a nice MOC that deserves some love. Cheers and good luck with the voting ! 

Thanks for the comment @1980SomethingSpaceGuy, in fact it's not that small, I mean it's using Xerion tires ...

The idea behind this MOC is is a vehicle based on an existing old car, modified into a personnel Hot Rod and armed with a hefty gun.

However, I'm really busy with finishing my entry. I'm still working on the video and upload it once it's done. Meanwhile I try to recreate my entry presentation:

DOUBLE TROUBLE

001.jpeg

002.jpeg

Full RC, seven motors six functions:

• full independent suspension
  • DOHC R4 fake engine
  • steering by Servo Motor
  • moving arms with steer
  • propelled by two hard coupled L motors
  • shifting 2 speed gearbox by M motor
  • turret elevation by M motor
  • turret rotation by M motor
  • gun shooting by L motor, four shots  each side
  • moving arms while shoot
  • easy to reload
  • openable doors and hood
  •  front double gun
  • easy accessible BB 

000.gif

Wow, that was close! I finished my video! Now my entry is complete.

I had pure fun during building and learned a lot again. Its always pure pleasure room enter an EB contest, meanwhile it turned out to be a little bit stressy. But contests are for fun ...

Thanks for reading and writing.

Special thanks to @Jim again