sdrnet

[MOC] The myth of Perseus and Medusa

49555767283_981d99fb16_c.jpg

When I was a kid I really liked Greek mythology, I read the stories of Greek myths and heroes and I was fascinated to discover the incredible adventures that they faced.
Among the most known myths, what has always struck me is the story of Perseus and Medusa.
There are various versions of the Perseus myth. But the most acclaimed one is this:

"Perseus, son of Zeus, is asked to recover a magical and extremely dangerous object due to a dispute with King Polidette: the head of Medusa.
Medusa was one of the three Gorgons, three sisters and monsters who lived in the far west of the world known by the Greeks.
She had snakes instead of hair and a terrible power or that of petrifying anyone who looked at her.
Perseus must go to the kingdom of the underworld and navigate the river Styx through the ferryman of souls, Charon.
To succeed in his arduous undertaking, in this ghostly kingdom he will have to recover magical artifacts from the Graie and then discover the secret place where the temple of Medusa is located. Athena instead gave Perseus a mirror-polished shield telling him that he should look at Medusa only by reflection.
Thanks to the shield of Athena, the helmet of Hades which makes invisible and a sickle, Perseus cut off the head of Medusa and placed it in a magic bag.
With his head he also succeeded in freeing the beautiful Andromeda, his future bride, saving her from a terrible and huge sea monster freed by Poseidon.
Still today you can admire the magnificent bronze sculpture of Perseus in the Signoria square in Florence (Italy)".

With this modest work I have tried to recreate the main scene, with the Styx river and the ferryman Charon, the spooky environment and of course Perseus about to cut off the head of Medusa as he left his temple.
The moc is embellished with a thread of microled hidden between the bricks to give light in this infernal place.
The construction took me a month. The moc is made with about 3,900 pieces and will be presented for the first time at the MEI in Verona 2020 (Italy).

Good viewing of the photos
Greetings from Sandro

Flickr Gallery: https://www.flickr.com/photos/sdrnet/albums/72157690184763535

49555767383_829206231c_c.jpg

49556499082_9060be40f1_c.jpg

49556499112_53581536f9_c.jpg

Wonderful build!

Love the color scheme, especially of the Styx and the tentacles. I think you may try to enhance the scene by brickbuilding Charon's boat to be more antique and menacing.

13 minutes ago, Medzomorak said:

Wonderful build!

Love the color scheme, especially of the Styx and the tentacles. I think you may try to enhance the scene by brickbuilding Charon's boat to be more antique and menacing.

Thank you!
I will certainly take your advice into consideration, even if I have little free space for a larger and more detailed boat.

I like this when it's lit up.  Nice scenery and color usage for the water and the tentacle pieces.  The building is very nice, I like your columns and roof.  Creative build overall.

Hello.

This is a cool build, the colorscheme is indeed great and creates really a dark and sort of spooky atmosphere in the MOC.

Some of the tentacle are in dark blue? They look good in combination with the dark red.

Regards,

legolux1973

Edited by legolux1973

Thanks for the comments!
Initially I wanted to make the classic spooky trees with pieces the black arms then I opted for the tentacles that gave an even more gloomy appearance. In my order of these tentacles I found other colors available besides black ... or dark tan, dark blue and dark red. So I decided to use them all and they created the right chromatic scene.

As a big fan of Greek Mythology myself, I absolutely love this!
The build reminds me very much of the scenes from the Clash of the Titans movie. Did you intend to do so, or does this mean the film makers paid close attention to this version of the story as well? :tongue:

Regardless, amazing job!

Greetings,
Mitch