Sign in to follow this  
doug72

Are you a tidy or untidy Lego Technic builder ?

I think I am a tidy builder, I have everything in boxes or bags for colors and most frequent use and from time to time I reorder everything again, it is like restarting my operating Lego system.

I'm a rummager. Well I was until a week ago when I bought some Stanley multi storage box-thingys and now I have all my small bits organised. The rest is in a 6 foot floormat/playbag thing. I wish I could be more organised but its just not in my nature.

32 minutes ago, suffocation said:

My only concern is that I've got plenty of Nero d'Avola, 'nduja and freshly baked walnut bread within arm's reach.

Now that I can relate to... salute!

I'm tidy in a way: I always clear my workspace and put the boxes into their place after each building session, even if it means doing this more times a day.
I have to do that since I have only a small living space and a family.

22 hours ago, Doug72 said:

Are you a tidy or an Un-tidy Lego Technic builder ?
I am OK when building Lego sets with numbered parts bags and following printed or downloaded instructions.

Sets without numbered bags, I sort out before starting to build in to various containers for: beams, gears, axles, panels etc.

When building MOCs that usually go through several stages of trial & error and re-builds, I tend to be un-tidy in that any discarded parts are consigned to a large tray and not to their correct storage drawers etc.

About once a week I then have a big sort out and return parts to their correct storage locations.

With GBC module testing I also go hunting for lost balls !!
Its amazing where they hide.

I do exactly the same, except looking for balls :) 

I think it's most efficient way to play with technic. 

I don't like to search for half an hour "this part" in a pile of random bricks. 

It help to save a lot of time. 

I think I am very tidy. When I am building new sets I build them right from open bags (I am too lazy to sort parts before beginning building) and when I am building MOCs I use organisers to sort my parts. I also have few plastic boxes from ikea where I keep work in process MOCs. And since I build almost exclusively alternative models I keep all my parts as complete sets in original LEGO paper boxes with parts sorted in plastic zip-bags by type. It takes more space but it is very easy to get parts for exact set and start building alternative model. 

I am a fairly tidy builder, which has possibly lessened productivity as I have no truly finished projects as of this date. It makes the building process go quick as I know exactly where each beam, gear, axle, connector, and pin is, but I spend a lot of time sorting to get to that in the first place. I love seeing the organization, but I will love actually seeing a finished project one day even more.