General Zen

A terrible blow to an adult fan of lego?

For the past week or so I feel that I insulted or generated some awkward feelings to an adult fan of lego. Do not get me wrong, I love lego and I admire the older fans of lego; mostly with their tactfullness, passion, and skill with our beloved hobby. :wink: I feel with all my heart that lego is something that does not have to be out-grown, but I feel I made a terrible blunder a little while ago. :sad:

My friend and I were excited because the new indiana jones sets had just come out. We ran to the lego store in bridge water commons, New Jersey's only lego store, and were running happilly to the door. We were worried that they would be sold out, until we saw an afol carrying two bags filled with lego store brick buckets and multiples of all the new indiana jones sets. Surprised with his huge haul, I looked at him and yelled, whoa! Look at all that lego! I ran off and did not get his full reaction, but he may have interpreted my outburst as saying he was too old for lego. I may be overeacting, but I did regret my outburst and worried if I demoralized a fan of lego.

I know for a fact that lego is for all ages, and as members of eurobricks we can all beam with pride when we reflect on the awesome hobby known as lego. I feel it is great that adults and kids alike deserve our chersihed bricks. What about you? Have you ever recieved disrespect from the younger fans or even older fans about your obssession? How did you overcome it? Feel free to discuss your feelings about my encounter as well as yours.

Unless you take disrespect as gleaming envy from younger children, or funny looks from people, I have yet to receive any form of real disrespect.

And as for your yelling comment; it probably depended on the guys point of view for the reaction. He could've taken it as a compliment in a way; but for me, I probably would've just went up and complimented him on the large haul. :tongue:

I am still just a younger afol, so I will probably have some journeys unfold in the future.

And also, I make it no secret I love lego, if someone asks a hobby, no matter the age, person, gender, it's lego's. Why lie? I have yet to ever get a bad reaction from it, and if anything, almost everyone has had some connection to lego's in their lifetime!

Edited by Brickmaster

I agree with you there, Brickmaster :wink: , but I feel bad for not explaining myself to him regarding my outburst. I think it was very stupid of me to do that. I don't want to hurt anyone's feeilngs. Lego is nothing to be ashamed of, but feelings can still be hurt.

Well, as a 40-year-old AFOL I have had similar comments made to what you did and I usually just smile, laugh and, if I have a chance, talk to the kid who said it. I love getting that kind of reaction. :classic:

I would not have been offended at all, but then I have a sense of humour that does think it is kinda funny to be spending hundreds of dollars on LEGO at my age. :sweet:

Well, as a 40-year-old AFOL I have had similar comments made to what you did and I usually just smile, laugh and, if I have a chance, talk to the kid who said it. I love getting that kind of reaction. :classic:

I would not have been offended at all, but then I have a sense of humour that does think it is kinda funny to be spending hundreds of dollars on LEGO at my age. :sweet:

Amen to that brother!

Older AFOLs not affended On!

Stop wondering General Zen, if he just knew that you too are a big fan.

To bad you never got arround to talk to him.

Next time, if you see him again, or if it is someone else, (if not in a hurry to catch some great sets being affraid of them to be out) take some time.

Invite him here, if he is not already a member :wink:

LEGO hobby for all ages On!

-Ras-

I never played with Lego as a kid. I'm 26 and new to the Lego world. I believe I got my first set when I was 22 and it was an impulse. The first set I actually went out and bought was when I was 24 and I felt like everyone was looking at me. Now I proudly walk in and buy my Lego! Anyway, I get looks from people sometimes and I giggle. The people who check me out at the store ask me if I have a kid and they comment on how happy he will be with his new Lego. I just look at them and say "No, these are for me." I just have fun with it as an adult. Stop obsessing and let it go. If he was an AFOL, I'm sure he's gotten the reaction before. No big deal. I think most adults who play with Lego (I am generalizing here) have a pretty good sense of humor. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Oh man, I had an experience once in my life that I found rather funny. I was in Toys R' Us, in the LEGO aisle (of course), When a small child (probably six or seven) walked up to me. He pointed to the display case which was holding an MTT and said "Do you know where you guys keep those?" I looked at him with a confused look on my face. "Uh... No." I said back to him. He looked at me strangely. "Dont you work here?!?" He asked me. I looked back kind of half laughing to myself. "No. No I don't." I said to te child. "OH MAN... I THOUGHT HE WORKED HERE!", Yelled the child, ashamedly, running back and hiding behind his mom. I picked out a few sets and walked over to the register, as the child kept peeking out at me from behind his mother.

Anyway, I found that kind of funny. (by the way I'm only 15, so I'm not too sure why the kid tought I worked there.)

-U_T

The other day I was on the phone to LEGO customer service about some broken parts in my brand new Hogwarts castle. :hmpf_bad:

For some reason the operator said they would be despatched as soon as possible and asked if it was my son's set. She sounded suprised when I said no, it's mine. The assistants in the LEGO brand stores are great, we're always chatting about stuff, but LEGO customer service don't seem to grasp that adults buy LEGO too.

I don't see what is offensive about a kid seeing a lot his (or her) favorite toy and saying "Oh look at all of the insert favorite toy name here!"

I mean, why would he (or her) be offended by that? The next time I go to the local Walmart, I am going to do that and see his (or her) reaction. :grin:

Amen to that brother!

Older AFOLs not affended On!

Stop wondering General Zen, if he just knew that you too are a big fan.

To bad you never got arround to talk to him.

Next time, if you see him again, or if it is someone else, (if not in a hurry to catch some great sets being affraid of them to be out) take some time.

Invite him here, if he is not already a member :wink:

LEGO hobby for all ages On!

-Ras-

Thanks, Ras! :classic: Come to think of it, I might have actually known about this guy. I do know for a fact that a brickshelf star wars creator does make dioramas for my lego store. His username is ACPin, I believe. He makes outstanding creations and I wish I could of asked. :hmpf:

Oh, and I think Mr. Customizer is right. be sure to tell me how your experiment works! :grin:

Edited by General Zen

Interesting topic GenZen. I don't generally share my hobby of Lego or other toy collections with anyone that I know personally. Most of my friends who know me well just think my toy collections are a bit strange. As I get older, I realize, the important thing is that I'm having fun. I used to be a bit embarrased in combing the toy aisles in search of Lego, Star Wars, etc., but as I see so many other adults doing the same, I'm reassured that I'm not the only one. This is one of the great things about EB in that all of us share the same hobby/interest. It's also great to have a child/relative to buy for, as the best excuse. I also appreciate that Lego has pursued AFOLs as another targeted market. All of these things help as we go out and fill our grocery carts with Lego.

From the child perspective, I would think that kids who see our collections would think they're pretty cool.

I'm sure, general Zen, that the AFOL thought you were going to reprimand him for taking all of the indiana jones sets before you got your hands on them!!!- I think as you age you become more impervious to comments... I doubt he would be crying in to his beer that evening-he's too much Lego to build :wink:

When I first started buying sets again, I always lied to to the shop assistant saying it was for a child but I've 'come out' now!!!. This was especially in Woolworths where I would say that I've got a big job ahead assembling for a (fictional) child.

I had my first trip to a Lego store last week - i took a day off work for it.

When I went in, I felt like a teenager buying contraceptives and was embarrassed to speak to the female assistant (as she was attractive!!- i assumed the male one would understand!).

Luckily the shop had 3 other customers, all of whom were older than me (I'm 34) with one actually playing with the UCS falcon having had the glass top removed for him!! I felt much less paranoid at that point. I ended up with a massive Lego bag wandering through milton keynes with a huge smile on my face - I don't really care what people thought of me then but I was worried about the police pulling me over and seeing it on the rear seats!!!!

I've also had a long conversation in Asda (Wal-mart) with an 8 ish year old child about their lack of quality stock - goodness only knows what the parents thought!.

All of my friends now know I love the Lego so birthdays are a real treat.

Well, to shine some perspective on my encounter, I am 15 years old. Despite my younger age I believe that I am mature enough to converse with fellow adult fans of lego here on eurobricks because of my maturity and respect for them. :wink:

I suppose my mishap was not that serious in retrospect, but I was worried I humiliated a hard core lego fan. :cry_sad: I think it is truly inspiring that a grown man (or woman! :wink: ) can play with the marvelous bricks that he/she loves without any shred of embaresment.

If only there was a semi-local group... I know the area you were talking about (I'm in NY, just north of the NJ border). I wouldn't have been offended and I doubt that person was. It shows you've got yourself a decent conscience (unlike many other 15 yr olds...) and compassion for others. :thumbup:

I usually feel embarassed when parents come into the Lego section. Sometimes I get odd looks, and sometimes people ignore me. However, I remember once when an older woman came into the section with her husband. I overheard that she was looking for a certain SW set (I don't remember which). She was having a hard time finding it, so I put down the set I was looking at, found the one she was looking for, and handed it to her. She thanked me and asked if I knew a lot about Lego. I said yes, I was a fan. She then said that she needed advice as to what else to get. It's always nice to go out of your way to help people. :classic:

I've also gotten a variety of greetings from kids. Sometimes I get weird looks, sometimes even whispers, but mostly I'm ignored. Though, I remember a good conversation with two kids about the new 2007 sets and Fred Meyer's lag of delivery.

I agree with you there, Brickmaster :wink: , but I feel bad for not explaining myself to him regarding my outburst. I think it was very stupid of me to do that. I don't want to hurt anyone's feeilngs. Lego is nothing to be ashamed of, but feelings can still be hurt.

While i can appreaciate your concern, i really fail to see how you did anything to offend this guy. :sceptic: All you did was point out what he bought. Its not like he was hiding the packages in a macy's bag, you tripped him and threw his IJ sets on the floor and said

"Hey everyone, look what this 40 yr old man bought!! :tongue: "

I really wouldn't let it bother you. Preety much all of my friends know about my lego hobby. I'm not ashamed of it. I'm 26, and my parents will still buy me legos on my birthday and Christmass. My girlfriend happily goes with me to the lego store, and will buy me sets if she knows i've been looking for it.. Or somthines she buys me some just because. :wub:

Somtimes you get mixed reactions when buying lego but none have ever been bad and if they were, quite frankly i wouldn't care.

IMO, I am 24, proud to be an AFOL of LEGO. :sweet: I don't have many "friends" that have the same interest as me. To me, LEGO is something that I grew up with. Most of my friends hardly can understand the fun of LEGO. To them, it's just some any other toy. Maybe, that is the one of the reason why I came to Eurobricks. :classic:

It's more than just a toy. LEGO is able to bring happiness into my life. Why? Because whenever I looked at them, I am always smiling deep from my heart. Love the imaginative themes and building process. What wrong can there be for adults collecting LEGO? LEGO is suitable for all ages.

You don't always see an adult buying big bags and bags of LEGO, and catching a train. Trust me, you will get lots of funny and strange glares, treating me as if I am some sort of an alien. Everyone of us has an interest or hobby, and I have found mine. :cry_happy:

Hi!

Today I have made quite a haul although I did not get what I wanted). If someone had shouted "Look at all the lego", I would have smiled. Besides, I cannot see any insult.

Anyhow I am in the age where people might think it's for the kids, so I can imagine that late teens and early twenties might be (more) embarrassed.

At any rate it doesn't matter to me what people think about the contents of my shopping cart. When I was younger, I was more self concious.

While i can appreaciate your concern, i really fail to see how you did anything to offend this guy. :sceptic: All you did was point out what he bought. Its not like he was hiding the packages in a macy's bag, you tripped him and threw his IJ sets on the floor and said

"Hey everyone, look what this 40 yr old man bought!! :tongue: "

I really wouldn't let it bother you. Preety much all of my friends know about my lego hobby. I'm not ashamed of it. I'm 26, and my parents will still buy me legos on my birthday and Christmass. My girlfriend happily goes with me to the lego store, and will buy me sets if she knows i've been looking for it.. Or somthines she buys me some just because. :wub:

Somtimes you get mixed reactions when buying lego but none have ever been bad and if they were, quite frankly i wouldn't care.

I think you nailed all the issues there. I might have been embarrased in the past, but im now comfortable with who i am as a person. Im married,33, with two toddlers and an understanding wife.

As a child or teenager, you are envious of the adult who can afford to buy so much more lego, and then you grow into an adult and still live on a budget :tongue:

I always make conversation at a register with the staff, regardless of whether im buying lego, groceries or car parts. I have mates who think that lego is cool, but none of them collect it anymore, they understand its just another hobby after all. My work friends dont know about my hobby, but i couldn't really care less, its just not appropriate to be viewing the web while working lol.

Besides, if i dont like what some people in this world may think of my AFOL status, ill just make my own people :sweet:

Edited by I Scream Clone

It was quite interesting the other day as a bunch of my mates were over, and one wandered into my room to see all my Castle Lego proudly on display. He was stunned, and called my other mates over to see it. But they weren't trying to embarrass me, they were actually impressed and thought it was all genuinely cool. That made me quite happy. :laugh: I've been open about my Lego hobby for the past while, and it's only resulted in good things. For example, instead of giving me 15 bucks for my birthday (like I usually get), my friend handed over his entire Lego collection, since he has no need of it any more, not being a TFOL.

I'm not sure if that was entirely on topic though. Sorry. :blush:

~Peace

The other day two punks over at the Singapore Lego store were insulting some AFOL, he just ignored them until the manager kicked their megablocks about insulting customers, all they do is play DOTA in the store anyway, not really sure why they still work there, they're mean to TFOL's too. :sad:

What jerks some people can be. :hmpf:

As someone who's been known to spend more than a bit of time browsing TLC stores and the building toy sections of retail outlets, I'm used to the occasional odd look from a parent or store employee. Folks at the TLC stores themselves tend to be less inquisitive as they're likely accustomed to AFOLs milling about, musing over the relative importance of owning the latest sets to paying things like rent and the electric bill. The looks really don't bother me anymore; thankfully I've progressed past the age where peer acceptance is the highest concern. I enjoy my hobby, and that's really all there is to it. I find there to be little difference in spending hours working on an MOC or watching a professional sporting event. Both occupy the mind and serve to take you away from the toils of daily life for a time.

I, too, have pitched in to help out parents and older relatives clearly out of their element. It's most common during the holiday season - some poor Aunt or Uncle with little to no clue in regards to what's new and popular and will make for the best gift for the special young someone. To be fair, I used to work in retail and am fairly comfortable politely asking if they'd like some help then assisting them in finding something that will suit their needs. The vast majority are grateful for the help, and there's a bit of a thrill in knowing I've helped guide a set to someone who's likely to enjoy it.

Even more fun: if the person asks me about the hobby more, I break out a BrickArms business card, hand it to them, and briefly talk about the business and it's history, mission, and products. Some people are truly amazed that custom accessory businesses exist and are even more shocked to learn what's available. I've dropped a card to a young builder or two and smiled with joy as I overhear a "Mom, can I please get some of these?" from the next aisle over.

Returning to the question at hand, no, I don't think you embarrassed the AFOL in question, assuming he was collecting for the hobby (eBay scalpers I loath with a passion). I personally don't like to take the last of a set if a younger fan is around who was really looking forward to it; once I did give the last of some newer set to someone when they were clearly upset to miss out on it. One advantage of age: patience.

badger

I'll admit, I'm not really that much of a TFOL. I come, I look, and I love talking to people here. I have never MOC'd and never plan to get too attached to LEGO. But I'm impressed with this huge database. I could never have a problem with an AFOL. Or, a TFOL.

ive thought of Lego as nerdy for kids, but i still got it because i love building. im also pretty good at math, and hope to be an engineer or architect some day. :thumbup: i never take my legos out of the house because they could get lost or some kids would make fun of me. i would just say that they are my little cousins, and then change the subject. i might not be a loyal fan of lego in that sort of way, but i still like it and buy them all the time. right now im in a difficult choice: im getting past the age where lego is important, but i still want them. so what i do is not mention lego much at school, and love it at home. but i also fear i will grow out of it, too. maybe i will buy it again sometime... but for now, LEGO is my hobby. :sweet:

As we get older, many folks simply don't put the same stock into the opinions of others. Simply put, most of us don't care what others think of our hobby. I enjoy LEGO regardless of what others may or may not say to me. It certainly hasn't hurt me personally, and I don't think I'd lose much sleep if a complete stranger made a comment about my purchases. In all honesty, I think you were right to heckle the guy. As much as I love LEGO, I would definitely be irked by this guy's purchase. Clearing the store of all of it's Indy products definitely would have bothered me. I'm not a big fan of bulk purchasing from retailers as I think it definitely has a negative impact on consumers. Either way, I wouldn't worry about your comments. You seem like a mature young adult, and the fact that you've taken the time to reflect on your statement speaks volumes about your character (which seems to be quite positive). If only there were more fans like you (adult, teen or child).

Later.