Micmac

Harry Potter custom builds and moc's

8 hours ago, Fenghuang0296 said:

It’s not that bad. The WW’s been notoriously unpopular here; even though it was released almost two years ago it’s still on shelves in a couple of stores. I’m taking the train to a Big W in Broadmeadow (possibly the last shop in Melbourne to have stock) to get it tomorrow morning, it’s going to be almost three hours there and back but that’s what we do for ABS plastic, right? As for the price, it’s $90 AUD for 750 pieces. I’d prefer a good 20% off discount but I’m just going to count my blessings that it’s still available at all. Luckily I have some spare cash. 

Still, you’re right, good and useful parts. I plan to preserve the archway part and the Gryffindor Tower (rebuilding the ground floor interior into a common room, since I already have a custom-built Potions classroom) as part of my Hogwarts, and repurpose Snape’s office and the other Potions classroom section for a different building. (I recently got a preowned edition of the 2014 Flying Phoenix Fire Temple, since I was in a Dark Age at the time and it’# one of the sets I regret missing the most . . or should I say it was, given it’s now occupying two baseplates in my city. I love it, it just speaks to me, especially because phoenixes are awesome and I wish LEGO did them more . . but I do sort of wish it was a bit taller, as I had to put it right next to the Sanctum Sanctorum and it just looks short. Those stubby towers will be a great start towards building a ‘base’ for the mecha Phoenix that adds some verticality.)

My interpretation of Hogwarts is pretty wacky compared to most . . I’m pretty sure I’m the only city builder who dug out Merlok’s Library 2.0 from Nexo Knights (I’d had it lying around and being useless for three years) and converted it into a computer lab slash tech tower for Hogwarts - with Clay’s golden Wizard Battle Suit on top as a statue. Not to mention repurposing the Dimensions Ghostbusters stuff into a science classroom and installing Abby Yates as science teacher. (She was a University Professor, after all, she’s qualified.) I’d rather buy and build the Room of Requirement and Astronomy Tower before sharing pictures, though. So be patient?

Yeah, I have a decent way to travel for my closest LEGO store as well(which I prefer to do my shopping at). Good call on getting the set. It’s not as exciting as the towers, but is a great addition.

Your Hogwarts sounds great, what a hodge podge of goodness it sounds like. 

Edit: your latest comment sounds amazing! What a great sounding layout you have. 

Edited by Vindicare

Just now, Fenghuang0296 said:

Sounds good!

Crossover is kind of the whole point of the Reality Storm (what I call all my layouts - you know how in The LEGO Movie, there was one central city layout and then a bunch of smaller, themed side layouts? Mine is exactly like that). My Hogwarts has Merlok 2.0, the aforementioned Abby Yates, Clara Oswald and C-3PO on staff. Beyond Hogwarts, I have my own spaceship fleet consisting of five Systar Spaceships (they got super cheap when all the TLM2 stuff was on clearance - I have so many useless Emmets), two Maintenance Shuttles from City Space, Ninjago’s ShuriCopter, Eris’ 2014 Chima Fire Eagle, and a Star Destroyer-sized custom mothership I call the Stormwing, crewed by Benny and the Classic Space Squad, Buzz Lightyear, Bruce Banner, and assorted Star Wars astromechs. I’ve assembled my own superhero squad including Spider-Man, Tracer, Frozone, Samurai X, Sonic the Hedgehog, Lumia (from Elves) and I’m considering adding Wonder Woman. I’ve built a secret mech bay for Samurai X’s Mech over Skylor’s noodle shop (another custom) with an apartment/suit display for Spider-Man over that. (Though I might move him into Avengers Tower once that’s available, given it apparently has a Hall of Armour, as I already have a huge Hall MOC.) 

I like throwing absolutely everything together to see what fits. 

Sounds really great, I'd love to see that! It's definetely something I'd personally like to do as well but my space is very limited so I keep everything (mostly) seperated

23 minutes ago, Vindicare said:

Yeah, I have a decent way to travel for my closest LEGO store as well(which I prefer to do my shopping at). Good call on getting the set. It’s not as exciting as the towers, but is a great addition.

Your Hogwarts sounds great, what a hodge podge of goodness it sounds like. 

Edit: your latest comment sounds amazing! What a great sounding layout you have. 

21 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

Sounds really great, I'd love to see that! It's definetely something I'd personally like to do as well but my space is very limited so I keep everything (mostly) seperated

Aww, thanks! That’s so nice of you to say. I’ve been hesitant to share any of my designs on here since last year, when I tried showing my Hall of Armour MOC but everyone just ignored it. Maybe I’ll start my own thread . . if I can figure out how to upload images properly. 

1 hour ago, Fenghuang0296 said:

Aww, thanks! That’s so nice of you to say. I’ve been hesitant to share any of my designs on here since last year, when I tried showing my Hall of Armour MOC but everyone just ignored it. Maybe I’ll start my own thread . . if I can figure out how to upload images properly. 

Yeah, it can be difficult. I try to comment on stuff as much as I can, especially those with little no comments but a lot of views. But I want it to be meaningful & not just a “nice build” kinda thing. Sometimes though I just can’t get something together, despite appreciating the build. 

12 hours ago, Fenghuang0296 said:

I wouldn't feel too bad about not getting comments about your builds here, I've put up a good few mocs and i'm lucky if I get one comment. I think people look at them and then move on.  If you want likes add your moc to instagram under #legoharrypotter or #legohogwarts and you will get likes and comments which are usually very positive. I hope to see your moc ideas here soon. I think people appreciate then, they just don't verbalise it. :)

On 2/19/2020 at 7:17 AM, Micmac said:

Baby Thestrals

Love the candles. Must get some of those white flower parts. Made some baby Thestrals tonight for my forbidden forest scene

My kids and I built these for Mother's Day yesterday (thank you SO MUCH for the inspiration!), but I could not figure out any way to have eyes on both sides of the head. Is there a part that would make this happen without making the entire body 2 bricks thick? We love having families of animals :) 

7 hours ago, f2iso100 said:

My kids and I built these for Mother's Day yesterday (thank you SO MUCH for the inspiration!), but I could not figure out any way to have eyes on both sides of the head. Is there a part that would make this happen without making the entire body 2 bricks thick? We love having families of animals :) 

Not that I know of, the only parts I could think of made the head huge so I stuck with the one eye. I'm currently fixing up that whole display so I'll have another look when I get to the Thestral part and let u know. 

Hagrid's Hut

Part of my mantel piece moc that contains Hagrids Hut seen here and continues into the forbidden forest.

22 hours ago, Micmac said:

Part of my mantel piece moc that contains Hagrids Hut seen here and continues into the forbidden forest.

I really like your updates, and have seen a few more on Instagram you haven't posted here yet. I wondered if you could show more interiors? They're just as good as the outsides of your buildings! 

Wish I had that many pumpkins! 

59 minutes ago, Seaber said:

They are available on Bricks and Pieces for a pretty good price. I want to order some soon but it's still closed here :hmpf_bad:

56 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

They are available on Bricks and Pieces for a pretty good price. I want to order some soon but it's still closed here :hmpf_bad:

I'm hopeful of getting a second Hagrid's Hut at some point to fill in the open three sides and expand the pumpkin patch, but I'll look into B&P too :) I'd like some extra red ones too for Slughorn's Party. 

Here are my castle MODs / MOCs and figures.

This model was originally inspired by 2011's Battle for Hogwarts set, to which I added a basement layer to bring it up to 2018 set design height.

48852514468_e861d08540_z.jpg

I also redid the roof peaks from sand green to dark bluish gray, and added more inside details. The stone bridge also no longer explodes as it did in the original set.

48852872246_387e593c11_z.jpg

On the left is the Slytherin common room, and above that is the astronomy tower. The dungeon is empty, as it is no longer used, much to Argus Flich's dismay.

On the right side on the bottom level is the micro-scale Chamber of Secrets with it's large face in the rear and stone snakes statues. Up a level is the entrance to the chamber, the sink  in the girl's lavatory that Moaning Myrtle haunts. Up one more level is a generic classroom. Bridging the two towers (literally) is the stone viaduct is one of the three or so entrance's into the school.... unless you count the seven secret passages!

48853064842_4b7843a135_z.jpg

The castle as it sits right now.

The whole castle up to fall 2019, including set numbers:
75954  (Great Hall)
75953 (Hogwarts Whomping Willow)
75948 (Hogwarts Clock Tower)
and a majorly customized version of set 4867 (Battle for Hogwarts)

48226392141_c99650378c_z.jpg

From left to right in the upper row: Headmaster Albus Dumbledore, Prof.  McGonagall, Prof. Lockhart, Prof. Snape, Prof Flitwick, Rubeus Hagrid, Argus Filch, and a custom random Professor.

The students are (mostly) all as they are in the sets, with the addition of one custom Dean Thomas. With the new student battle pack (I plan on buying two) + the Astronomy tower set, I plan on having enough figures to fill the castle with students of various ages / school years.

48226449732_0426505ae9_z.jpg

These are the Hogwarts Express train crew from left to right on the top row: Engineer, Fireman, Conductor. (I don't have the refreshment trolley lady yet, sadly) You can see my custom Hogwarts Express here.

The lower row of people are just random denizens of Hogsmeade village.

Edited by Murdoch17

13 minutes ago, Murdoch17 said:

Here are my castle MODs / MOCs and figures.

*snip*

Love what you've done with your Hogwarts!

On 5/21/2020 at 5:42 PM, Seaber said:

I really like your updates, and have seen a few more on Instagram you haven't posted here yet. I wondered if you could show more interiors? They're just as good as the outsides of your buildings! 

Interior photos are always on my list of photos to take but lighting them is my issue. When I sort that out I'll take lots. 

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2020 at 10:41 PM, Micmac said:

Not that I know of, the only parts I could think of made the head huge so I stuck with the one eye. I'm currently fixing up that whole display so I'll have another look when I get to the Thestral part and let u know. 

Thank you, Micmac, for sharing your lovely baby thestrals. I shamelessly copied your design, while also managing to get eyes on both sides. The crucial piece is the 1 x 1 plate with clip (4081 / 41632). Hope you can see how it's used in the picture.

baby thestrals 6.JPG

Edited by hogwartsprof
Finally managed to upload picture!

I made a MOC of the Boggart Cabinet this weekend. It uses the mirror piece from 10255 Assembly Square

I also used the tensegrity concept in my Hungarian Horntail display piece:

Hey everyone! Just wandering if anyone has a stud.io file or LDD file of the astronomy tower! I really would like to see what my custom ‘hogwarts Lessons’ set AKA the quad entrance (I think) looks like in between the great hall and the astronomy tower/ viaduct entrance! Thanks in advance 

Edited by Legoniche

Lego Gwarp

Loving the new Grawp figure but could't help but alter him slightly. He is actually quite ugly from behind so I prettied him up. 

7 hours ago, Micmac said:

Loving the new Grawp figure but could't help but alter him slightly. He is actually quite ugly from behind so I prettied him up. 

Still waiting for my copy but this does definetely look better. Why does he have a tree on his back though?

11 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

Still waiting for my copy but this does definetely look better. Why does he have a tree on his back though?

Ha, its just some branches and twigs stuck to him.

Actually set my castle up on my layout yesterday as I switched from my Wild West town to my UK-themed setup. 

49956757656_6a6eb4957b_z.jpg

As stated in the other post, I didn't build the Yule Ball dancing section, as it didn't fit into my Year 2-ish theme. I instead used the parts to make updated version of the exploding stone bridge from set 4867. (Hogwarts from 2011's Deathly Hallows part II line) My version is non-exploding, and features the Chamber of Secrets in one of the lower sections. (which is coincidentally seen in both films, by the way.)

Anyway, I arranged the castle as I saw fit and not according to any map or studio model. I even rearranged some of the used set's different components to make it easier to fit in the desired space.

49957042162_fd64fe0ec2_z.jpg

The next time you see this castle, it will most likely have the new Astronomy Tower (set 75969) section in it, placed right at the end of the Whomping Willow section of the Castle, nearest to Aragog. Plus some more lesser-known uniformed students will be welcomed with two of 40414 Hogwarts student accessory pack at some point later this year.

Hey guys, I thought I might share my modified Hogwarts staircase tower here. I bought a duplicate of the official set and enlarged the tower quite a bit. I added the turrets on the roof as I find them really iconic and it annoyed me that they were absent in the original set. The GH stayed pretty much the same. I also built the quad entrance on the right (using the pieces from the duplicate GH set), and I'm actually quite pleased with how this turned out.

IMG_3140.JPG.1c1f4ab32f1169cd59c91b2bc8a262c6.JPG

17 hours ago, Dareon394 said:

Hey guys, I thought I might share my modified Hogwarts staircase tower here. I bought a duplicate of the official set and enlarged the tower quite a bit. I added the turrets on the roof as I find them really iconic and it annoyed me that they were absent in the original set. The GH stayed pretty much the same. I also built the quad entrance on the right (using the pieces from the duplicate GH set), and I'm actually quite pleased with how this turned out.

Looks great, in hindsight they should have included this section with the original set. What have you put inside it?

On 6/6/2020 at 3:38 PM, Micmac said:

Looks great, in hindsight they should have included this section with the original set. What have you put inside it?

Thanks! They probably didn't want the set to be so expensive, but it would have been nice if they had included it.

Honestly, I didn't really pay attention to the interior, as with my display it's not possible to see inside anyway. I'm planning to place the library there though (if we don't get it in any of the official expansion sets in the future)

Open question for anyone who has an opinion; which version of the ‘Golden Trio’ should I have displayed in my city’s Hogwarts? I got the Great Hall, Whomping Willow, and will get the Astronomy Tower, so between those three and Dean from the CMF (who I put on a spare Hermione uniform to match the Year 2 Trio) I’m going to have Harry’s entire Gryffindor year group sans Parvati. Not to mention Susan Bones, Draco, Cho, Luna . . I’m basically trying to decide whether to have them all be second-year versions with short legs or fifth-year versions with long legs (in which case I’ll use the RoR versions of Harry and Hermione and the AT Draco, switch the short legs on Ron, Dean, Seamus and Susan with adult legs, and use the vacated uniforms from the Great Hall Harry and Hermione with the heads of Neville and Lavender and black adult legs for fifth-year customs of them). Does anyone have strong opinions?