Micmac

Harry Potter custom builds and moc's

Some my recent MOCs and modifications:

Firenze and Flitwick (Philosopher's Stone appearance)

Philosopher's Stone figbarf: Flitwick and Firenze

Fluffy modification:

Fluffy mod 2Fluffy mod 2

Fluffy leg mod

Three Broomsticks and butterbeer bottle:

Butterbeer and wine bottleThree Broomsticks 1

Different bottle designsThree BroomsticksBuild detail Three Broomsticks

Just a few 'custom' minifigures I've cobbled together from spare parts and duplicates.

51228625266_48d1438320_n.jpg

McGonagall (made pre-Moments) with the hat swapped out for a grey bun, Lucius Malfoy with his old hair (lucky find - in my nephews box of random LEGO pieces!), Tonks (not sure about this in its entirety.... the top and bottom feel disconnected. Qi'ra's hair and Lucy from The Lego Movie's legs). And Remus Lupin (just a brown cape attachment to look like he's travelling).

51228839338_82f7de0e99_n.jpg

Here we have Lavender Brown, Parvati Patil, Ron Weasley, Cho Chang (with Rose Tico's face) and Ginny Weasley, all standard minifig-size in Hogwarts uniforms. In particular I want a Ron at this height to have robes on so hunting for pieces for that. Wish they did a robe leg-piece at full size but I don't think they do one that lines up with a Gryffindor robe torso?

Ginny here has the CMF Ginny face, much nicer.

51227915362_d2c3826e06_n.jpg

Slightly updated Lavender with Eleven's skirt from ST, a third year Seamus (fits in nicely with the trio, Dean and Neville from the CMFs), and a Yule Ball Hermione with different hair. Not accurate but I really dislike the hairpiece we got.  I forgot to picture a mid-sized Draco Malfoy to go with the PoA lot (just the Diagon Alley Draco with the mid-sized legs in black).

51228621256_f365af305a_n.jpg

Weasleys!

Molly and Arthur come sporting new capes to reflect their Diagon Alley outerwear, and Arthur even has a spare scarf! Percy the Prefect, and a Ginny with the CMF face. Charlie Weasley is basically Owen Grady from Jurassic World, with Yule Ball Ron's hair to make him look like a rugged dragonologist.

Up next I'm planning a full Gryffindor quidditch team, Quidditch Cho, more Hogwarts students (full size Seamus, Dean, Neville,  Cormac, Malfoy's gang, Ernie, Hannah, Susan Justin etc), and an Aberforth Dumbledore. Looking at the Central Perk Phoebe I think that torso looks very magical and it's inspiring me to have a go at Charity Burbage or a Diagon Alley resident (perhaps a medium/seer/psychic?). I also want to make some Hogwarts ghosts, Madam Malkin and a Tonks out of Scarlet Witch pieces paired with the legs on the custom above.

edit: sorry, I have massively mucked up the formatting on this post! forgive me. full sized pics available if you click through to flickr.

@Metanoios91 Sorry for posting right at the same time as you! Must be something in the air today haha. I love that Flitwick - where does that hat come from?

Edited by drewdotexe
tried to tidy format

I have attempted to complete the challenges from the end of the 1st Movie in the scale of the new Hogwarts. Fulffy's coridor would sit over the left hand side with the Harp to the right of it. The Mirror of Erised section would stick out the side from the rest and I would need to design some roof for the top of it.

This is the first time i've ever tried to design something LEGO from scratch, so please be nice. But I would also love it if anyone has any tips for improvements. I'm looking to buy the parts to put this together mid July when double points is on. So any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also to note, the left hand section with the chess queen is the lower part from the Fluffy set slight modified.

51261481909_7d78f12683_c.jpgFinal Task 1 by Chris McKinley, on Flickr

51261785890_170d65deba_c.jpgFinal Task 2 by Chris McKinley, on Flickr

51260738226_efa2061138_c.jpgFinal Task 3 by Chris McKinley, on Flickr

Edited by chris6507

2 hours ago, chris6507 said:

I have attempted to complete the challenges from the end of the 1st Movie in the scale of the new Hogwarts. Fulffy's coridor would sit over the left hand side with the Harp to the right of it. The Mirror of Erised section would stick out the side from the rest and I would need to design some roof for the top of it.

This is the first time i've ever tried to design something LEGO from scratch, so please be nice. But I would also love it if anyone has any tips for improvements. I'm looking to buy the parts to put this together mid July when double points is on. So any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also to note, the left hand section with the chess queen is the lower part from the Fluffy set slight modified.

It looks great. As someone who is also an Emmett, I don’t have many tips & tricks to offer. I like how you incorporated all of the obstacles in there. For the given space, you nailed them.

One bit of info I would suggest, change out the dark grey masonry bricks. I would make it regular dark grey bricks. Since it’s supposed to be natural rock, it looks kinda odd having perfectly placed bricks. 

Edited by Vindicare

2 hours ago, chris6507 said:

It's a pretty good addition to the new style of Hogwarts, which I'm admittedly not a huge fan of anyway, but here are some pointers since you asked for them: 
- The vines on the top of the Chess section make it look like it's supposed to be Devil's Snare and go directly underneath Fluffy's trapdoor. I don't recall the actual chamber having those vines either so maybe it's a good idea to just remove them alltogether.
- The Chess chamber has a very specific design for it's outer walls that I'm kinda missing. Maybe if you replace one row of tiles with 1x2's you could use the last row of studs to include some of that wall detail. That would make the limited space set itself apart from other sections and really make it obvious that it's supposed to be the Chess chamber. 
- The Winged Keys chamber looks good but the sticks holding onto the keys stick out like a sore thumb and make the upper area of the section look very cluttered. LEGO has a large selection of trans-clear pieces so maybe if you use those and try out a number of things you can make the keys look more natural. I would highly recommend checking out some MOCs other fans have done of the Winged Keys chamber!
- As @Vindicare also said you should definitely change the masonry bricks in the rockwork for normal bricks. It makes the rockwork look like a man-made part of the castle so it's best to limit the use of these pieces to the castle itself. 
- It doesn't really bother me but maybe you could try rearranging some of the olive green parts on the exterior. If you look at the official LEGO sets you'll see that these parts (they represent a kind of moss) are placed in the smaller corners of the rockwork, in your module they feel a bit more random. I would highly recommend playing around a little bit and looking at what the LEGO designers did.
- Remove the dark green on the exterior. It looks really out of place as it doesn't appear anywhere else on the exterior of your model or the actual sets. 

Hope these pointers are usefull for you, have fun building future projects or refining this one! :wink:

3 hours ago, Vindicare said:

It looks great. As someone who is also an Emmett, I don’t have many tips & tricks to offer. I like how you incorporated all of the obstacles in there. For the given space, you nailed them.

One bit of info I would suggest, change out the dark grey masonry bricks. I would make it regular dark grey bricks. Since it’s supposed to be natural rock, it looks kinda odd having perfectly placed bricks. 

1 hour ago, lego_guyon02 said:

It's a pretty good addition to the new style of Hogwarts, which I'm admittedly not a huge fan of anyway, but here are some pointers since you asked for them: 

Thanks for your thoughts. I've removed the masonry bricks so far, and will look into some of the other suggestions. I agree the rock side doesn't look great. That's the hardest part for me trying to figure out how to make it all look natural and irregular. The dark green was meant to be like there was some kind of leak with a more major moss growth, but I guess it doesn't work. :laugh:

The vines at the top are supposed to be devils snare and fluffy's trap door will be sitting right above it. I know it's slightly out of order, but it was the best way for it to work. I also realise the Chess Chamber isn't perfect, but I'm kinda being lazy on that one and was just making it something like the original set from 2002 or whenever it was.

I know what you mean about the winged keys, and i've looked at some other MOC's, but haven't seen a method I particularly like anywhere. The biggest problem is that there are no clips in Trans-clear which makes it difficult. The plan is to try and match the bars and clips with the backgrounds, but I thought that might be easier to figure out in real life. 

I'll definitely keep playing with it. Like I said, Moc's aren't really my strong suit, but hopefully I come up with something that looks decent in the end. :grin:

And I really appreciate all your thoughts. So Thank you!

Forgot to say, I agree with you. I'm not a huge fan of the new sets either. But i'm even less of a fan of it feeling incomplete! :iamded_lol: Hoping I can rectify it, even though they'll probably release more of these next year i'm sure.

Edited by chris6507

Hi guys,

I've just finished building my DIagon Alley set, and filled it up with almost 100 of a Harry Potter minifigures and it looks amazing. I would love to extend my set with MOCs, which I have found on rebrickable. Those Diagon Alley extension MOCs are designed by Scarletpatronus. Does any of you have these MOCs built? Can you send me a picture how they look like, especialy how they fit with an original set? Thank you :).

On 6/29/2021 at 3:20 PM, Jaromir said:

Hi guys,

I've just finished building my DIagon Alley set, and filled it up with almost 100 of a Harry Potter minifigures and it looks amazing. I would love to extend my set with MOCs, which I have found on rebrickable. Those Diagon Alley extension MOCs are designed by Scarletpatronus. Does any of you have these MOCs built? Can you send me a picture how they look like, especialy how they fit with an original set? Thank you :).

Hi, I don't have photos as I am not at home to take them (although I posted some custom minifigs a few posts up where you can sort of see it in the background), but I have built all of these MOCs and display them with my DA. You can't tell they're custom, with SP's stickers that they also sell they look like an official expansion. Well worth it if you have the room.

They have an instagram which may have some real photos.

Just be aware that each set will set you back around £150 for the parts on BrickLink through no fault of the MOC creator, so perhaps look at splitting the builds up. Definitely worth it though!

Edited by drewdotexe

14 hours ago, drewdotexe said:

Hi, I don't have photos as I am not at home to take them (although I posted some custom minifigs a few posts up where you can sort of see it in the background), but I have built all of these MOCs and display them with my DA. You can't tell they're custom, with SP's stickers that they also sell they look like an official expansion. Well worth it if you have the room.

They have an instagram which may have some real photos.

Just be aware that each set will set you back around £150 for the parts on BrickLink through no fault of the MOC creator, so perhaps look at splitting the builds up. Definitely worth it though!

Thank for all of the info :). Regarding price and pieces, I will reuse the parts from my other harry potter sets, like greathall etc. It will help me save some money on bricks. If you will have some spare time to PM the photos of your DA with MOCs, I would be very thankful. Thanks :)

Hi guys! Keep up the good work! I especially like Micmac's Gringotts and Broomstix builds.

Edited by hplego

Do you know if Micmac can send more pictures of the interior of his Hogwarts moc? 

13 minutes ago, Micmac said:

I converted the new Lego Mario Air ship into the Durmstrang ship. 

Nice MOC! Does it still unfold like Bowser Airship to show the interior?

7 minutes ago, Metanoios said:

Nice MOC! Does it still unfold like Bowser Airship to show the interior?

Yeah i've kept the opening mechanism but I haven't decorated inside yet. I'll do an interior later on in the week maybe. 

1 minute ago, lego_guyon02 said:

@Micmac that looks amazing! Would've definitely preferred something like that over most of the stuff we've gotten this year.

Cheers. I was surprised that a lot of people were not crazy about getting this as a set when we were all speculating about what sets we might have gotten this yeah. I am looking forward to seeing what lego come up with for it. 

I designed a MOC of Zonko's Joke Shop that uses 82% of the pieces found in the official Hogsmeade Village Visit set (76388), so you can more easily expand your village!

Anyone who may be interested can find the instructions here and on my Rebrickable page.

51302193181_9896cb0a1b_b.jpg

51302193071_31655b4315_b.jpg

QQS & DP MOD

One of the few criticisms that I've read and share about 75978_Diagon Alley set is about Quality Quidditch Supplies & Daily Prophet section. Particularly, I'm talking about two aspects:

1) The general appearence of the outside upper part;

2) The lazy, really lazy, realitation of Daily Prophet inside upper part;

This is what I've obtained.

I'm fully satisfied about it, but let me know what you think!

Cheers

51362822343_fbcaba17c5_z.jpgDP MOD_1 by Brick Matit, su Flickr

51363332849_abd6d90e0f_z.jpgDP MOD_5 by Brick Matit, su Flickr

51361845417_668c7b39d5_z.jpgDP MOD_6 by Brick Matit, su Flickr

* For the outside part I remember being inspirated by someone else MOD, but I remember neither who made it nore where I saw it.

** More images in my FlickR collection.

Edited by BrickMatit

Nice job on the upstairs of the DP.  I never liked that they just left it a big open empty space.

Great job, BrickMatit! That definitely improves the front and makes better sense of the interior space. I like it. :classic:

Nice Zonko's, @thenightman89. Fits in perfectly in Hogsmeade by dint of the starting point obviously, but the scale is just right, too. A worthy expansion. The list of needed parts is always helpful, as well.

@Micmac, your ship is gorgeous! I've never once been tempted by a ship, but your build is something else. Well done you! 

On 8/9/2021 at 4:16 AM, BrickMatit said:

QQS & DP MOD

One of the few criticisms that I've read and share about 75978_Diagon Alley set is about Quality Quidditch Supplies & Daily Prophet section. Particularly, I'm talking about two aspects:

1) The general appearence of the outside upper part;

2) The lazy, really lazy, realitation of Daily Prophet inside upper part;

This is what I've obtained.

I'm fully satisfied about it, but let me know what you think!

Cheers

* For the outside part I remember being inspirated by someone else MOD, but I remember neither who made it nore where I saw it.

Very nice alterations. I think the designers got trapped in movie accuracy and fitting that on the baseplate. What they came up with is kind of what is in the movie but the newspaper door area isn't as wide so the overhang should not be as big as it is. The should have made the first floor of QQS be the newspaper office instead. 

Diagon Alley and Knockturn ally full street

All finished designing this side of the street. I've now added the old joke shop as we catch a glimpse of it in the Chamber of Secrets movie and the Leaky cauldron. 

Instructions available on rebrickable.com account micmacpadwac.

On 21 Jun 2021 at 5:02 AM, chris6507 said:

51261481909_7d78f12683_c.jpgFinal Task 1 by Chris McKinley, on Flickr

51261785890_170d65deba_c.jpgFinal Task 2 by Chris McKinley, on Flickr

51260738226_efa2061138_c.jpgFinal Task 3 by Chris McKinley, on Flickr

Wow that would be a first day buy for me

On 8/24/2021 at 4:53 PM, gryffindorbrickkid said:

Wow that would be a first day buy for me

I still Can't believe it wasn't one of the Sets this Year.

Im really looking for some stickers or decals that finish the minifigs for my. Molly, Bellatrix, Fluer, Piquery, etc. need something on their skirt bottoms. Is anyone making these foe order?