Micmac

Harry Potter custom builds and moc's

Finished Diagon Alley today. I love the set and it's design, yet  I made some slight modifications while builidng it. A simple one was the mascot of WWW which in the Lego version has only plain black plates as eyes. I exchanged them for the printed 1x1 plate from Ninjago City which is white with a black square in the middle to give the eyes more realism and depth. I also improved the colour mismatch on the hand a little bit. Currently working on a QQS mod and a Malkins MOC.

On 9/6/2020 at 6:45 PM, Metanoios91 said:

I made some slight modifications while builidng it. A simple one was the mascot of WWW which in the Lego version has only plain black plates as eyes. I exchanged them for the printed 1x1 plate from Ninjago City which is white with a black square in the middle to give the eyes more realism and depth.

That looks much better! I haven't gotten to this building yet but I have a feeling I might want to do the same.

I have a few more microscale Wizarding World additions to share! I shared my minifigure troll here before, and as a Giant, I figured Grawp can get the same treatment. As a minifigure he will fit into Hogwarts as a Giant among the microfigures! He was actually pretty easy to build since Barney Rubble's body was already pretty much perfect for him as is.

I've also included a shot of a few of my other additions to microscale Hogwarts! So far I've built Hagrid, Fluffy, the Mountain Troll, Grawp, Buckbeak the Hippogriff, and a Thestral.

@Magicbrick Welcome, and what a lovely entrance! I feel almost sure I have run across your pictures on Flickr when I was looking for inspiration for my own minifig-scale of Hogwarts. The library is one of the places I am looking forward to building most! Does your Viaduct Entrance open of give access to the interiors easily? 

@shadefoundry Such a perfect way to tie in those sections! Would you mind sharing a photo of the back side of the Quad Entrance? I'm wondering if there's anything on that second level and what it looks like from that angle. Seriously, it looks like it goes with the original sets perfectly! 

1 hour ago, f2iso100 said:

@Magicbrick Welcome, and what a lovely entrance! I feel almost sure I have run across your pictures on Flickr when I was looking for inspiration for my own minifig-scale of Hogwarts. The library is one of the places I am looking forward to building most! Does your Viaduct Entrance open of give access to the interiors easily? 

Thanks! Yeah you may have seen some photo's on Flickr. The buildings I'm making (currently in stud.io and some, like the viaduct entrance, already in bricks) have easy-to-remove floors/roofs, so you can access interiors that way. I'm planning on doing it like that for now, so that all buildings will be fully closed from the outside. Maybe I should look into a system with hinges for some of the other parts.

Here's a stud.io render of the whole east wing, which is sort of finished except for the dungeons/rock work. Will try to update at some point when I have actually built more of it besides the one building so far.

The East Wing Upper 1

Started a Madam Malkin/Menagerie MOC for Diagon Alley in Stud.io. Relying on Marcos’ ideas to stay in the similar style. Much harder than I anticipated - I’m not very good at this yet lol

So I took SO MUCH inspiration from this thread (and particularly from @Micmac, @Whovastron, and @Magicbrick, but I'm sure I'm leaving some people out!) and built the Hogwarts Bell Tower. I really wanted a place to put the Room of Requirement, so I built it around that room. The Divination class is above, and spinning the table on the right reveals a turning Vanishing Cabinet in the room below. The ground floor houses the Triwizard cup and the House Points. I also put a little room for Dobby in the attic above Divination. Next up on the list (once again, thanks to people in this thread!) is the Viaduct Entrance! 

50355246393_e5bb7e5647_c.jpg

50356025447_0271457e85_c.jpg

Details of the Room of Requirement, with the hidden wall "closed": 

50355123928_68113aee87.jpg

The Wall itself slides to the left but is also easy to remove if you want to play with the entire space (my sets get lots of play from my kids):

50355816491_2b1816b55c.jpg

And Divination: 

50355823441_863113d178.jpg

Edited by f2iso100

On 9/14/2020 at 7:11 AM, Magicbrick said:

Here's a stud.io render of the whole east wing, which is sort of finished except for the dungeons/rock work. Will try to update at some point when I have actually built more of it besides the one building so far.

Looks great, never used any of the digital stuff but this looks very well designed. Looking forward to seeing the real world build. 

9 hours ago, f2iso100 said:

So I took SO MUCH inspiration from this thread (and particularly from @Micmac, @Whovastron, and @Magicbrick, but I'm sure I'm leaving some people out!) and built the Hogwarts Bell Tower. I really wanted a place to put the Room of Requirement, so I built it around that room. The Divination class is above, and spinning the table on the right reveals a turning Vanishing Cabinet in the room below. The ground floor houses the Triwizard cup and the House Points. I also put a little room for Dobby in the attic above Divination. Next up on the list (once again, thanks to people in this thread!) is the Viaduct Entrance! 

Love the rooms you made. Still haven't made the patronus room of requirement in mine yet. 

21 hours ago, f2iso100 said:

I like the interiors!! I should also still find spots for divination and the room of requirement. Looks nice!

11 hours ago, Micmac said:

Looks great, never used any of the digital stuff but this looks very well designed. Looking forward to seeing the real world build. 

Thanks! I also used your builds (which look awesome btw) for some inspiration, especially for the bell towers!

Edited by Magicbrick

On 9/18/2020 at 9:52 AM, f2iso100 said:

This is honestly a beautiful creation. It looks damn near perfect, and the details are so nice! I really like that you integrated the room of requirement into it. I've been trying to find something to do with mine for a while now :P. I'd love to see how it looks connected to the rest of your Hogwarts!

@f2iso100 Thanks for the kind words! I spent a lot of time making sure the structure would fit in well with the official sets, so I'm glad to hear that it looks like it does :). Content-wise the back is pretty sparse. The tower just has some quick little shelves of potions that I took wholesale from the Whomping Willow set since I built the structure using my extra copy of that set. The main structure is completely empty, mainly because I don't really know what's supposed to go there and didn't really have any ideas as to what might. I'd like to add more details to the thing, so suggestions are very much appreciated. As requested though, here's a picture of the back, as well as the updated front. You'll notice I updated the roof bit slightly, and am now using one of the slightly larger tower cone pieces since I found an extra in my parts bin.

pfAjWJ6.jpgplvF4fE.jpg

Has anyone recreated more DA buildings using the style of the 75978 set? Haven’t had time myself but I assume someone is going to take that task.

Edited by Modal

On 9/20/2020 at 9:44 PM, shadefoundry said:

I spent a lot of time making sure the structure would fit in well with the official sets, so I'm glad to hear that it looks like it does :).

It absolutely does! Looks great! Don't know what you could put in there, maybe one of the bathrooms (myrtle's or the troll one), or the trophy room? Filch's office? A classroom of some sorts? 

@Micmac looks fantastic indeed, as usual! 

On 9/23/2020 at 5:03 PM, Magicbrick said:

@Micmac looks fantastic indeed, as usual! 

On 9/21/2020 at 4:34 PM, Guyon2002 said:

That looks fantastic @Micmac!

Thanks, fun one to do as its so colourful. Makes a change from tan Hogwarts. 

weasleys' Wizard Wheezes moc

Finished Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes. Cool build, love all the windows. Didn't change much of the original design, just expanded on it.

Question for you all. Besides the Bell Towers, which important parts of Hogwarts are we missing? My shortlist is the Dark Tower, the Middle Tower and the Library, but I'm probably missing some. Just wondering since I'd like to start filling out my display once I've got the space for it.

7 minutes ago, shadefoundry said:

Question for you all. Besides the Bell Towers, which important parts of Hogwarts are we missing? My shortlist is the Dark Tower, the Middle Tower and the Library, but I'm probably missing some. Just wondering since I'd like to start filling out my display once I've got the space for it.

Imo the only major structures we're still missing are the Belltowers, Boathouse and Owlery with the rest being filler (as far as exterior goes). In terms of interior stuff I have a pretty huge list of things we don't have yet :tongue:

7 hours ago, shadefoundry said:

I think there is not much left which is ‘important’ other than those you say, but as a ‘completionist’ I would like to be able to build the whole thing...

So assuming the library is in the ‘training grounds tower’ (I think it says this on the Harry Potter wiki), we are missing the following bits:

-The short square building next to the astronomy Tower, which might be where charms is located based off the HBP video game. It also and has a rope bridge coming out of it (we see it briefly during the dragon chase).

-All of the ‘quad’ which is in between the Clock tower and the ‘Lookout tower’. In the Harry Potter wiki the two towers which are visible behind the clock tower are Gryffindor tower and ‘North tower’ where the Divination classroom is. But you could argue that these have been approximated already with the tower used for Dumbledore’s office in the set and also the tower with the Gryffindor bedroom.

Then there is the stand alone West Tower aka the Owlrey and boathouse and I think that’s about it apart from some low profile ‘in between’ sections and bridges, the dome greenhouse and that entrance the trio walk through a lot in the first 2 films when going to see Hagrid etc 

Sorry I do always ramble lol

Edited by Bugbot20082

9 hours ago, shadefoundry said:

I think the Bell Towers are really the only major recognisable part of Hogwarts left considering the scale they ued for the Viaduct entrance this year. The set could be the towers and the building behind it that leads up to the Viaduct entrance. The Boathouse is possible but scale is an issue with that one. And after getting the Room of Requirements as an interior set we probably will get more of these now as they are running out of castle to fit rooms into. They could do a courtyard battle scene next year but it's hard to predict where the line is headed. They are starting to venture out of Hogwarts for more sets now so hopefully we get the Ministry and other cool places, maybe some new Fantastic beast sets or buildable animals, and maybe something from the new Hogwarts game. 

There are lots of 'corridor' areas that haven't appeared yet, for the most part these are just long and square, apart from the more ornate Long Gallery (between the Viaduct Entrance and the Bell Towers) and two sides of the Quad which have big arched entrances.

As for towers, we've had the Grand Staircase Tower, Clock Tower, Astronomy Tower and the four towers surrounding the Viaduct Entrance. The tower in the Whomping Willow set is suggestive of being part of the old Training Grounds Tower by its placement, and the one in the Clock tower set would be Gryffindor Tower, however the interiors of these towers don't match the exterior. As such I'll include these in the list. 

Missing Towers:

Pepperpot (next to Great Hall, round tower.) 

Headmaster's Tower (on top of GST, three joined round towers.) 

North, Gryffindor and Stone Bridge/Lookout Towers (the other three towers around the Quad, round towers, when SBT becomes Lookout Tower it gets a big balcony at the top.) 

Hospital Tower (between North Tower and Gryffindor Towers in the Quad, bridge corridor leads to Clock Tower. Pentagon shaped.) 

Central Tower (atop the Long Gallery, square tower.) 

Bell Towers (joined towers at the end of the Long Gallery, square towers.) 

Dark Tower (around the Middle Courtyard, Sirius is held here in PoA, round tower with jail on top. Removed in HBP.) 

DADA Tower (around the Middle Courtyard, basically a shorter Astronomy Tower without the big hole at the top and extra towers around it. Removed in HBP.)

Training Grounds Tower (around the Middle Courtyard, changes shape throughout the films, final appearance is like a shorter Bell Tower.) 

Owlery (round Tower with hatches for Owls, behind castle, nearest the TGT.) 

Missing Areas:

The Quad, Middle, Clock Tower and Entrance/Viaduct courtyards

The Training Grounds, minus the WW. 

The Wooden Bridge, Stone Bridge, Suspension Bridge and Viaduct. 

The Sundial Garden

The Boathouse

Classroom 1B (between the DADA Tower and Central Tower, is replaced by Dark Tower in PoA) 

Training Grounds Entrance (Next to the Astronomy Tower, two squarish buildings. One has one end of the Suspension Bridge after the DADA tower is removed. 

Overall, plenty of different areas and types of build to keep us going for some time, and plenty of building styles for the external appearance, so we can get lots more wonderful, varied interiors. 

3 hours ago, Seaber said:

-- snip --

Overall, plenty of different areas and types of build to keep us going for some time, and plenty of building styles for the external appearance, so we can get lots more wonderful, varied interiors.

Thanks for this list. It seems pretty complete which I appreciate since it'll make the mocs easier to decide on since I'll know what I'm looking for. In terms of existing pieces, any chance you know where the heck the two little classroom modules (snape's office and potions class) from the Whomping Willow set are supposed to go? I'm currently using them to give a bit of space between the Greenhouse and the Viaduct Entrance, but I'm not sure that's really correct.

1 hour ago, shadefoundry said:

Thanks for this list. It seems pretty complete which I appreciate since it'll make the mocs easier to decide on since I'll know what I'm looking for. In terms of existing pieces, any chance you know where the heck the two little classroom modules (snape's office and potions class) from the Whomping Willow set are supposed to go? I'm currently using them to give a bit of space between the Greenhouse and the Viaduct Entrance, but I'm not sure that's really correct.

Both of those are located beneath the castle in the dungeons so ideally you'd have to put your Hogwarts on a mountain/hill

22 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

Both of those are located beneath the castle in the dungeons so ideally you'd have to put your Hogwarts on a mountain/hill

Oh dear, I definitely don't have the space for that at the moment :iamded_lol:. I'm going to have to plan for that at some point though if I want a Chamber of Secrets though. Relatively speaking, where would they be still? Like which part of the castle would they be "under"?

4 minutes ago, shadefoundry said:

Oh dear, I definitely don't have the space for that at the moment :iamded_lol:. I'm going to have to plan for that at some point though if I want a Chamber of Secrets though. Relatively speaking, where would they be still? Like which part of the castle would they be "under"?

I know the main staircase leading to the dungeons is in the entrance hall (same place where the entrance to the Great Hall and the Marble Staircases are) so relatively speaking I'd say they should at least be on the left side of the castle but afaik we've never gotten anything concrete as to where specifically they are located. Though the Slytherin Commonroom, which is also in the dungeons, is located next to the Black Lake. 

3 hours ago, shadefoundry said:

No problem! Snape's Office and Potions classroom are in the Dungeons below the Viaduct Entrance (the build in the Astronomy Tower set). 

1 hour ago, shadefoundry said:

They are so far under the school you could make an argument for them being anywhere, but the entrance in Myrtle's bathroom is in the aforementioned Viaduct Entrance

1 hour ago, Guyon2002 said:

I know the main staircase leading to the dungeons is in the entrance hall (same place where the entrance to the Great Hall and the Marble Staircases are) so relatively speaking I'd say they should at least be on the left side of the castle but afaik we've never gotten anything concrete as to where specifically they are located. Though the Slytherin Commonroom, which is also in the dungeons, is located next to the Black Lake. 

This is where the OotP and HBP games get a little messy, they'd suggest the entrance to Slytherin is near Potions class, and I suppose that's no impossible, but it makes more sense to add them below the Quad or Great Hall which have more sides near the Lake.