Robert8

LEGO IDEAS - The Medieval Blacksmith

I was fairly shocked about this being chosen but I'm very pleased. Definitely hoping for this to be around 200 or less. And definitely hoping (like everyone else) that it includes a goat lol.

Very nice building! I think it should be able to open up to showcase the interiors too. I wonder how that would look like.

5 minutes ago, kaelthas said:

Very nice building! I think it should be able to open up to showcase the interiors too. I wonder how that would look like.

Don't know what Lego designers will do with the interior but the Lego Ideas submission shows and describes some of the interior features.  

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/15ab26fc-149b-4d80-8000-aecac4d0f4cf

Edited by Friscorays

1 minute ago, Friscorays said:

Don't know what Lego designers will do with the interior but the Lego Ideas submission shows and describes some of the interior features.  

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/15ab26fc-149b-4d80-8000-aecac4d0f4cf

Looks like we only can view them from the top like modular buildings. I hope it can be opened like those creator houses or Dr Strange's Sanctum to view the interiors better. Thanks for the link @Friscorays

Great news! When I'm looking at all the other ideas in this group, even though they are all cool builds, Blacksmith for me stands out as being particularly "set ready" - it's not overly huge nor too small. I'm glad it didn't have that much of the competition. It's not niche, and it's Castle OMG. I'm so happy!

I'm actually happy with their second choice, too - will make a perfect gift for my daughter.

Now give us Zelda this summer :)

It is awesome to see Lego approving these Castle and Pirates ideas.

My two favourite themes. :sweet:

What do people think this set will look like, thinking about the aspect what the pirate bay turned into?

Will it be more like a remake of the 3739, 80s classic castle like or something completly different?

Or maybe something in the middle.

I hope for something in the middle. A throwback to the 80s classic castle with nice nostalgic easter eggs.

But we will see.

Edited by Mencot
Typo

On 4/2/2020 at 9:48 PM, Mencot said:

It is awesome to see Lego approving these Castle and Pirates ideas.

My two favourite themes. :sweet:

What do people think this set will look like, thinking about the aspect what the pirate bay turned into?

Will it be more like a remake of the 3739, 80s classic castle like or something completly different?

Or maybe something in the middle.

I hope for something in the middle. A throwback to the 80s classic castle with nice nostalgic easter eggs.

But we will see.

I think that the roof and baseplate will be largely different; and in the case of the roof, I'm glad. I actually don't like that messy look of the tiling that a lot of Ideas submissions seem to have these days.

I also believe that they'll do something to make fans very happy. Perhaps more animals or minifigures than the original entry.

I believe that the actual 'Blacksmith' part of the original submission isn't very detailed. This is all we can see:

resize:1600:900

So perhaps the Blacksmith part will be open-air.

There's some discussion on the pirate Ideas set that they weren't given a large enough budget to include more animals like monkeys.  Hopefully that's not the case here and we can get more than just the standard animals we already have, like some recolors of standard animals, a remake of a cow, or, particularly, a goat(!).  In any case, I am excited about this, just hoping we get some cool animals out of it.

19 hours ago, leafan said:

I think that the roof and baseplate will be largely different; and in the case of the roof, I'm glad. I actually don't like that messy look of the tiling that a lot of Ideas submissions seem to have these days.

Probably. These messy, tiling builds that are in these is mocs a pretty fragile and they will be changed because of that also.

And I ain't also sad if they change it.

19 hours ago, leafan said:

So perhaps the Blacksmith part will be open-air.

I hope this is the case that it actually will, because it feels more medieval. :sweet:

I like the other Medieval BlacksmithIdeas submission that has this. And knowing that we won't be getting that as a set now that they approved this idea, I hope they will make an open-air.

33 minutes ago, Grover said:

There's some discussion on the pirate Ideas set that they weren't given a large enough budget to include more animals like monkeys.  Hopefully that's not the case here and we can get more than just the standard animals we already have, like some recolors of standard animals, a remake of a cow, or, particularly, a goat(!).  In any case, I am excited about this, just hoping we get some cool animals out of it.

Would think this set will be a bit smaller than PoBB but Lets cross our fingers that we will get a nice medieval blacksmith setup with village minifigs, farmanimals and also a knight or solider picking up his sword or armor from the blacksmith.

2 hours ago, Mencot said:

Probably. These messy, tiling builds that are in these is mocs a pretty fragile and they will be changed because of that also.

And I ain't also sad if they change it.

I'm not going to be all that sad if they change this unless they go for a really ugly, bright color scheme.  I'd prefer some dark blues and some of the stone greys.  If they change the roof to bright yellow and the walls to orange or something, I'd be upset.  I have a feeling they won't do that, however.  I was a little bummed about the pirate set due to the lack of ships hulls and darker colors, but I wanted that set more for a parts pack than anything else, and the blacksmith shop I'm hoping for a good medieval building.  If it turns out more like the MMV or the Diagon Alley set from years ago, I'd be happy.  The one thing I'm hoping they keep is the number of animals.  Medieval towns always had tons of fowl, sheep, goats, etc. running around.  I'm thinking we'll at least get a chicken since they are all over the place right now in sets and they're slated for the next batch of pieces released to the BAM kiosk.  I don't think it will happen, but I really, really want a goat.  Maybe more likely and yet still improbable is that we'll get a cow.

9 hours ago, Grover said:

If it turns out more like the MMV or the Diagon Alley set from years ago, I'd be happy.  The one thing I'm hoping they keep is the number of animals.  Medieval towns always had tons of fowl, sheep, goats, etc. running around.  I'm thinking we'll at least get a chicken since they are all over the place right now in sets and they're slated for the next batch of pieces released to the BAM kiosk.  I don't think it will happen, but I really, really want a goat.  Maybe more likely and yet still improbable is that we'll get a cow.

Yeah, not too bright colors on this one, it wouldn't fit in any way.

Hopefuly it will be in that direction with the MMV etc, I loved those sets. Another one is Kingdoms, Mill village attack, awesome set. And something like in the category with this I hope for. But without toi many play features.

What comes to animals, no more chicken nor pigs. But goats and a cow I would like to see. 

More animals the better and Lego could include chicken and pig but I hope for the goat and cow. :sweet:

And probably will be dissapointed. ?

I'm really hoping we get a new horse color like the one in the submission (medium nougat I think). 

Can't say I love the set as presented. I'd be buying it more of a parts pack. 

Really hoping that Lego can work their magic on it.

4 hours ago, Merlict said:

Can't say I love the set as presented. I'd be buying it more of a parts pack. 

Really hoping that Lego can work their magic on it.

Agreed. I voted on it - but not because I want the set as presented in Ideas, but because I see potential for an inhouse LEGO makeover of the set. Like what they did with the excellent Pirates of Barracuda Bay.

On 2/13/2020 at 6:39 AM, Grover said:

Also, here's hoping they add a goat.

On 2/13/2020 at 12:53 PM, Megbricks said:

I want the goat. But what is that funny rabbit thing? Duplo?

On 2/13/2020 at 4:32 PM, Kaanere said:
On 2/13/2020 at 8:23 PM, Agent Kallus said:

I'm pleaseantly surprised, and I'll be even more pleasnatly surprised if they include a goat. 

On 2/13/2020 at 10:06 PM, Frike said:

I am very excited! And as others have said, let's all hope for a goat.

On 2/14/2020 at 12:23 AM, Bardan_Jusik said:

And definitely hoping (like everyone else) that it includes a goat lol.

On 4/5/2020 at 12:05 AM, leafan said:

Perhaps more animals or minifigures than the original entry.

On 4/5/2020 at 7:04 PM, Grover said:

On 4/5/2020 at 7:49 PM, Mencot said:

Would think this set will be a bit smaller than PoBB but Lets cross our fingers that we will get a nice medieval blacksmith setup with village minifigs, farmanimals and also a knight or solider picking up his sword or armor from the blacksmith.

On 4/5/2020 at 10:05 PM, Grover said:

The one thing I'm hoping they keep is the number of animals.  Medieval towns always had tons of fowl, sheep, goats, etc. running around.  I'm thinking we'll at least get a chicken since they are all over the place right now in sets and they're slated for the next batch of pieces released to the BAM kiosk.  I don't think it will happen, but I really, really want a goat.  Maybe more likely and yet still improbable is that we'll get a cow.

On 4/6/2020 at 7:27 AM, Mencot said:

What comes to animals, no more chicken nor pigs. But goats and a cow I would like to see. 

More animals the better and Lego could include chicken and pig but I hope for the goat and cow. :sweet:

And probably will be dissapointed. ?

On 4/9/2020 at 4:59 AM, gza said:

I'm really hoping we get a new horse color like the one in the submission (medium nougat I think). 

Like most people here I hope for a lot of animals in the set :grin_wub:
The goat in a new colour would be amazing, but I am sceptic :sceptic:
I hope this set has a lot bigger budget to use on animal moulds than the pirate bay set at least :shrug_oh_well:

I think the bunny in the set has a chance of being included as the new hare in the HP set that would be great to get one or more of the patronus animals in a normal animal colour :thumbup:

Nice to have another civil medieval building, but i guess most of us already have multiple blacksmiths. I would much rather have a bakery, inn, etc.

With new moulds a possibility in Ideas sets now, I hope we get the goat here :tongue:

Wes Talbott is the designer of the set if people did not know :sweet:

Now that Diagon Alley has released, this is my next most anticipated set. Hope it comes after Sesame Street!

4 hours ago, Roebuck said:

With new moulds a possibility in Ideas sets now, I hope we get the goat here :tongue:

That's great news! According to Brickset, he helped design quite a few of the buildings from the Elves line. I'm looking forward to what he'll be able to do with a price point of around $150. 

14 hours ago, Roebuck said:

I think new molds will be introduced only if they are needed for licensing reasons

You can't make the Sesame St or the Winnie the Pooh sets without new head molds. Even if the original project didn't feature them. 

I don't think something like a goat mold like will be introduced with the Ideas budget. They'll probably replace it with a pig or a dog

7 hours ago, Robert8 said:

I don't think something like a goat mold like will be introduced with the Ideas budget. They'll probably replace it with a pig or a dog 

You are most likely right :def_shrug:

7 hours ago, Robert8 said:

On the other hand, a large portion of new mold cost is the design of the mold, trying to make sure the sprue and runners flow properly, getting the gates to work right, and making sure the mold fills without any voids.  That presumably was taken care of with the original goat mold, and they should still have the CAD-type files for its construction (or whatever proprietary software they use).  A remake of the old mold, assuming the original is not in condition to be run in production mode, may be significantly cheaper than creating a new one from scratch and could keep the budget down.

Edited by Grover

Ooh,maybe the hare from the HP room of requirement set will get a recolour here. I know it’s a longshot ...

It seems the release date is Feb 1st

Which means the reveal should be shortly after New Years Day