Robert8

LEGO IDEAS - The Medieval Blacksmith

1 hour ago, leafan said:

Very helpful. Thanks a lot Ieafan. :thumbup:

10 hours ago, MAB said:

That is my issue with it too. It just doesn't fit well with previous Castle sets. Why would the Blacksmith have what is more equivalent to a huge manor house, more opulent than the King's castle? Whereas POBB feels much more Pirates if you had to sum up a theme in a single set - well, it needs Imperials too to really sum up Pirates, but you know what I mean. To me, it doesn't fit at all well with Castle, unless we get other larger Castle builds to go with it. This is more like Cafe Corner compared to what was in City.

To be frank, for me it is not an issue. I posted the pic as a jest, not a complain.

Good to see the mixing of old(er) falcon minifig parts with the new(est) ones fit reasonably well.
I like to create a bit of variation within a 'faction'.

I think my favourite thing about it is the way the 'wooden' supports for the extended section of the second floor fit into the 'stone' steps.

Strikes me as particularly realistic, like the house has been built or expanded on top of the original stone shop/dwelling.

On 2/8/2021 at 9:24 AM, Merlo said:

The Blacksmith is an amazing set and the designers really outdid themselves on this one. Pictures just don't do it justice.

I'd kill to have Lego make something like the recently rejected castle in the forest idea, but on a 3x blacksmith brick count at a ninjago modular price... well, one can dream.

Nothing wrong with dreaming — after all, I guarantee you most Ninjago fans would not have expected a set Ninjago City's size prior to it being announced! And even if the LEGO ideas platform isn't really set up to handle sets that huge, if the Medieval Blacksmith Shop sells well, it will definitely give LEGO more incentive to consider making other 18+ exclusives with a medieval theme, including actual castles.

A ginormous castle would probably be too much, but maybe a series of modulars like what they did with the Harry Potter sets, only aimed more at afols.

1 hour ago, Merlo said:

A ginormous castle would probably be too much, but maybe a series of modulars like what they did with the Harry Potter sets, only aimed more at afols.

Depends how ginormous we're talking about! I mean, it's not hard to imagine a castle build at a $300+ price point, because technically there's already been one — the Disney Castle. And the number of big $200+ exclusive sets in general has gone up quite a bit in the years since sets like the MMV or Kingdoms Joust came out. Back then, even the idea of a theme like Ninjago getting a single $300 exclusive set (let alone TWO of them) would've been practically unthinkable!

So although a $280 Assembly Square-sized castle or a $300 Ninjago City/Ninjago City Gardens sized castle would be a considerable step up from any non-licensed Castle set we've seen in the past, it doesn't seem like it'd be outside the realm of possibility. :classic:

That said, you're right that a modular approach like Hogwarts could potentially allow for a larger build overall than one larger stand-alone set.

A modular build up your castle theme... yes, one can dream. :)
And, like with the Ninjago city sets, the outer edge could be made as water tiles too, representing the moat.

One thing I'm not massively impressed by are the 2 anvils. Although they do look better with a sword attached and a minifigure posed beside it with a hammer

23 hours ago, Kapowza said:

One thing I'm not massively impressed by are the 2 anvils. Although they do look better with a sword attached and a minifigure posed beside it with a hammer

I thought they were acceptable but improved by adding a black 1x3 tile on the top. 

I still haven’t completed the build yet but the sand green really irks me. Hopefully I have enough black pentagonal 2x3s to replace all of it on the roof. Sand green has it’s uses but not on anything medieval.

The two final bricks in the manual of my set were replaced by similar looking bricks in the bag. Anyone else had this?

34 minutes ago, Merlo said:

The two final bricks in the manual of my set were replaced by similar looking bricks in the bag. Anyone else had this?

Not the same, but all the 1x1 plates with clip in black have big ugly marks/dents from the mould (i think). Tried to take a picture, bit hard with the light but I think it shows well. Anyone else with the same issue?

legomark.jpg

I don't have it, looks rough. On one side only?

After some googling I was supposed to get 2x utensil ingot/bar and I got two plain tiles in the same color instead.

1 hour ago, Mikado said:

Not the same, but all the 1x1 plates with clip in black have big ugly marks/dents from the mould (i think). Tried to take a picture, bit hard with the light but I think it shows well. Anyone else with the same issue?

Yes, I noticed that too; although it doesn't appear to be quite as bad as yours.

35 minutes ago, Merlo said:

After some googling I was supposed to get 2x utensil ingot/bar and I got two plain tiles in the same color instead.

Yes only on the back, quite deep and on all of them. Might call them and ask, not sure if they consider this as a "broken piece"?

Sometimes I think i lack pieces, but built it wrong, there's 2 tiles and 2 ingots in the last bag, so should be easy to check if the ingots are hiding somewhere else :) Never had any missing/wrong color pieces in any lego set, but I have done mistakes and spent hours trying to figure out where they went :p

42 minutes ago, Merlo said:

That's stange, although the ones I think that you're refering to are part of the Horse Cart and are only connected by 1 stud each (in the middle), so they fall off really easily.

Worst part of the set imo.

1 hour ago, leafan said:

That's stange, although the ones I think that you're refering to are part of the Horse Cart and are only connected by 1 stud each (in the middle), so they fall off really easily.

Worst part of the set imo. 

Yes, those are the ones. Should I contact Lego about missing parts? haha

I'm more bothered by that first floor wooden beam siting on top of the bottom floor 1x1 tile top beam and they never match up well, so the beam looks broken, but not in a good way.

Or is that a post since it's vertical? No idea.

Edited by Merlo

2 hours ago, Merlo said:

Yes, those are the ones. Should I contact Lego about missing parts? haha

I guess that depends if it's important to you or not. I'd do it because I'm a completionist :)

5 hours ago, Mikado said:

Yes only on the back, quite deep and on all of them. Might call them and ask, not sure if they consider this as a "broken piece"?

Sometimes I think i lack pieces, but built it wrong, there's 2 tiles and 2 ingots in the last bag, so should be easy to check if the ingots are hiding somewhere else :) Never had any missing/wrong color pieces in any lego set, but I have done mistakes and spent hours trying to figure out where they went :p

If I were you, I'd report it through the missing/broken parts section of Lego.com. I had a big dented plate on the bricksquare modular, and Lego sent me a replacement plate with no hassle.

19 hours ago, Mikado said:

My bad, that's exactly what it was. This has never happened to me before, but I've been ill lately and the amount of silly things I've done/said in this state has now reached a number where I think it's best I just keep quiet :)

On 2/11/2021 at 3:40 AM, Mikado said:

It's always this! Either I used the wrong (but similar) part in an earlier step, or a piece is hiding in the corner of a bag, or under another piece, or rolled onto the floor.

In 37 years of building Lego sets, I did have one missing piece. But it was a big fence piece, not something that could have been hiding anywhere.

6 hours ago, danth said:

It's always this! Either I used the wrong (but similar) part in an earlier step, or a piece is hiding in the corner of a bag, or under another piece, or rolled onto the floor.

In 37 years of building Lego sets, I did have one missing piece. But it was a big fence piece, not something that could have been hiding anywhere.

Building for 30 years and until about two years ago I’d have also claimed only one missing piece (big half dome in my at-dp) but in the last two years I have had quite a few missing pieces missing sticker sheets and misprinted parts/ sticker sheets. 

58 minutes ago, Archer said:

Building for 30 years and until about two years ago I’d have also claimed only one missing piece (big half dome in my at-dp) but in the last two years I have had quite a few missing pieces missing sticker sheets and misprinted parts/ sticker sheets. 

Knock on wood in 35 plus years of lego building I have never had a missing piece.  Sometimes they got stuck in the bag or were hiding underneath the instructions but I have been very lucky in that respect.  

I've had a number of missing pieces until roughly a year ago. Since then, I haven't had to apply to Lego for new ones.