Robert8

LEGO IDEAS - The Medieval Blacksmith

1 minute ago, Alexandrina said:

I think my own ignorance is more to blame! My overriding memory of a deer experience was at a... effectively a safari park, but only with farm animals (not sure how that works!) where I went in my youth to feed the deer. Except they were all female deer, and I was at that impressionable age where my assumptions on the world were being set in stone, so in my mind deer don't have antlers. 

Of course, they do - but my mental image is out of date.

Fair! And in all honesty, it wouldn't be a bad thing if LEGO introduced a variant of this deer design for female ones at some point.

Moreover, if we're being honest — this is the same company that has previously used the same mold for alligators as for crocodiles, the same mold for crows as for parrots, the same mold for Alsatians as for Dalmatians, and the same mold for mice as for rats. So I wouldn't put it past them to reuse this "reindeer" mold for a European red deer even if it WEREN'T accurate. :tongue:

3 minutes ago, Aanchir said:

And in all honesty, it wouldn't be a bad thing if LEGO introduced a variant of this deer design for female ones at some point.

The fact that we have a lioness gives me hope. Honestly, if I didn't insist on writing scripts calling for specific creatures/items that Lego hasn't produced - and then insist on waiting for Lego to produce those parts - I'd probably be more productive. If I can get a female deer and a medieval lute I'll be chuffed forever.

2 hours ago, Aanchir said:

Fair! And in all honesty, it wouldn't be a bad thing if LEGO introduced a variant of this deer design for female ones at some point.

I don't know about the European species, but whitetail bucks shed their antlers in late winter and grow new ones over the summer...so an antlerless deer mold would be useful not only for does, but also bucks for half the year!

2 hours ago, Alexandrina said:

If I can get a female deer and a medieval lute I'll be chuffed forever.

I could see a lute as an accessory in a future CMF series...let's hope the smithy sells well enough to encourage more Medieval stuff in general!

8 hours ago, Aanchir said:

Keep in mind also that the Winnie the Pooh and Sesame Street sets have a considerably higher price per piece than the Medieval Blacksmith Shop — and while some of that is probably to cover royalties for the use of third-party IPs, the cost of the new molds is likely a factor as well.

And honestly, if the designers really felt like the set would sell a lot better with more animals, they probably would have focused on ones that they currently have molds for, like cats, mice, rabbits, hares, chickens, owls, songbirds, or deer. After all, the main reason the AFOL community considers goats so much more desirable than other farm animals is their scarcity. Plus, since nothing else in this set is even farming related, non-livestock animals likely would have been a more fitting choice anyhow.

Yes it is the Disney tax to pay as you mention to explain a lot of the price most likely, however I would not mind to pay say 10$ more for the Blacksmith it i had included 5-6 extra animals :wink:

First of all the original submission had a horse, a goat, a hare, 3 hens and a owl, all of which they could have easily included since they are in production except the goat. Second they tried really hard to include the goat, but the leaders would not give them the budget to do so. Thirdly apparently the budget was so strict that the designers had to choose between a hen or a horse and of course the horse is the better choice in this set since it adds more.

I like all farm animals and all of them are rare to get in sets even the horse now a days. I have a few goats (would of course like more) so to me personally it would be better if they e.g. made a sheep, however I support other fans wanting the goat back and it will be interesting to see if we can apply enough consumer pressure on TLG so they do it :devil:

7 hours ago, Aanchir said:

Sorry! I referred to it as a "deer" because in all honesty, it more closely resembles a European red deer than an actual reindeer. Real-life reindeer tend to have shorter necks (which stick forward like the necks of cattle or oxen, not upward like the necks of gazelles or horses), white or grey coats rather than brown ones, and wide muzzles like moose rather than narrow/pointed ones.

The LEGO "reindeer" was most likely modeled off pop-culture portrayals of "Santa's reindeer" which likewise tend be based on European red deer, American white-tailed deer, or other species from temperate climates, not actual reindeer species. As such, I feel like it'd be able to represent those more temperate species fairly accurately.

This is mostly right, the mould is of a red deer stag however the colour is not. Disney and other big company's seem to think that people in USA can not comprehend that there are other deer species than white-tailed deer so they make the reindeer with white-tailed deer colours and for some reason Lego made the same mistake :def_shrug:

7 hours ago, Alexandrina said:

I think my own ignorance is more to blame! My overriding memory of a deer experience was at a... effectively a safari park, but only with farm animals (not sure how that works!) where I went in my youth to feed the deer. Except they were all female deer, and I was at that impressionable age where my assumptions on the world were being set in stone, so in my mind deer don't have antlers.

Of course, they do - but my mental image is out of date.

4 hours ago, Pdaitabird said:

I don't know about the European species, but whitetail bucks shed their antlers in late winter and grow new ones over the summer...so an antlerless deer mold would be useful not only for does, but also bucks for half the year!

I could see a lute as an accessory in a future CMF series...let's hope the smithy sells well enough to encourage more Medieval stuff in general!

It is the same with all deer with antlers they shed them every year :classic: Red deer do it in late winter or early spring, so if you were visiting the park in spring or early summer the males probably did not have much of a antler. Sometimes they may even remove the antlers so it can not hurt anyone with it in parks like that :shrug_oh_well:

For anyone desperately waiting, the Black Falcon torso and the tan horse are back in stock on B&P. Just ordered ten of the torso myself, to go with the six legs I ordered the other day. Gonna have to crack out the hangover cures, since four of the knights will be legless! :pir-huzzah2:

44 minutes ago, Alexandrina said:

For anyone desperately waiting, the Black Falcon torso and the tan horse are back in stock on B&P. Just ordered ten of the torso myself, to go with the six legs I ordered the other day. Gonna have to crack out the hangover cures, since four of the knights will be legless! :pir-huzzah2:

Things really sell out quick.
It looks as if you took the last of the.. ahem... pants.
Thing is, I checked my list on B&P barely 9 hours ago, and none of the items was available then.

Now the wait is for more Falcon shields (and legs) to become available again.

7 minutes ago, GeoBrick said:

Things really sell out quick.
It looks as if you took the last of the.. ahem... pants.
Thing is, I checked my list on B&P barely 9 hours ago, and none of the items was available then.

Now the wait is for more Falcon shields (and legs) to become available again.

The legs sold out a few days ago, some time after the torsos. I ended up buying legs only at the time, in case the torsos came back into stock while the legs didn't. That was obviously a good decision!

But yeah, they aren't lasting long at all. 

I haven't mentioned yet, but thanks for advising us for the availability of the torso's and horses. :)

3 hours ago, GeoBrick said:

A little update:

Falcon shields and legs are now available in Bricks&Pieces.

Shields are sold out, legs left. Wasn't able to get any but thanks for the heads up...will keep trying.

I managed to score a batch of torsos tonight around 12:30ish EDT, but by the time I finished my order and went to come say something about it, I double checked and they were listed as out of stock again. Those things sure don't last long! But now I've got 20x shields, torsos, legs, and helmets in two different orders... Now I just have to get lucky and get the shoulder pieces I want, and I'll have enough for a couple nice little displays.

So if you're after them, keep at it!

1 hour ago, Darth Shadowthrone said:

Does anyone know how long the Blacksmith Shop is going to stay in stock? I've heard that some previous Ideas sets have had quite small windows of availability 

I do not think this is a big problem any more with ideas sets. It depends on the sales, but sometime next year at the earliest is my guess, so personally I am waiting for it to show up in other stores to see if I get a better price   :shrug_oh_well:

Some other stores in The Netherlands are already selling it for 144,- . So that's a 20% price drop compared to the normal retail price of 179,-. So it might be worth waiting for even better prices.

34 minutes ago, Ecclesiastes said:

Some other stores in The Netherlands are already selling it for 144,- . So that's a 20% price drop compared to the normal retail price of 179,-. So it might be worth waiting for even better prices.

That's just the preorder discount. And maybe because there's double VIP points on Lego.com. And the regular price in the Benelux is €170, not 179.

31 minutes ago, GeoBrick said:

That's just the preorder discount. And maybe because there's double VIP points on Lego.com. And the regular price in the Benelux is €170, not 179.

You are right it's 170:facepalm::thumbup: But even preorders count as discount and are still better compared to full brand retail price:classic:

20 minutes ago, Ecclesiastes said:

But even preorders count as discount and are still better compared to full brand retail price:classic:

Of course.
I hadn't expected the Blacksmith on discount this soon. Its not even for sale in the typical toy stores in my country.

Any pictures of this next to modular buildings? If I buy this, I'd probably build it on a green baseplate, add a standard modular walkway and some fence, and maybe place it next to Parisian restaurant.

5 hours ago, temes said:

Any pictures of this next to modular buildings? If I buy this, I'd probably build it on a green baseplate, add a standard modular walkway and some fence, and maybe place it next to Parisian restaurant.

JANGBRiCKS has it next to several modulars at the start of his review video -