Garmadon

Arrival at Elysabethtown

Previously:

Captain Whiffo's Duel...
Sailor Leon's Letter...
End of the White Doubloon

Captain Whiffo paused.  It was a long pause (a very long pause - just over two years long, actually... :grin:).

...You- you don't even know what I'm talking about it's been so long.  Alright! 

Well, for those of you who don't remember, the good Captain was just seated in the Dark Green Inn of Port Wilks, telling "a long, thrilling tale of adventure, duels, piratical villains, and rivaling trade companies from the beginning to end!" and he had just lost his Class 2 ship to a Mardierian war fleet and was left in the middle of the ocean on a little tiny raft with his small crew.  But it just so happens that he was in that section of the middle of the ocean that is not so very far from the bustling Eslandolan port town of Elysabethtown... (it's not my fault both of those end in town - I didn't name the place.)

"And so, after a vast (he said it like, "avast") number of grueling days aboard o' that ol' piece of driftwood," Captain Whiffo was saying, "we finally spotted Elysabethtown in the distance just as our rations of cookies were giving out..."

49525195206_a12209c604_z.jpg

-=-   -=-   -=-

All was bustle and excitement at the docks of Elysabethtown when the famous ETWC captain came riding in that day, his sword glittering in the morning light as he waved it above his head in the crow's nest of the little raft.

DSC01957.JPG

The docks official and sailors stopped to cheer lustily, and the passersby paused to stare and wave in greeting at the singular sight. 

DSC01968.JPG

Captain Whiffo shook his hookhand in triumph (forgetting, for the moment, that the Mardierians were the ones who had taken his ship away, and not the other way around), and the crew leapt up in delight.

DSC01976.JPG

"Finally!" exclaimed the Lieutenant, with a cheer, "Captain, we're home free!!"

Suddenly the raft underneath them began to tremble and quake, and the beams, battered and old, started to give way and float apart.

DSC01990.JPG

Captain Whiffo turned to him and shook his fist.  

DSC01991.JPG

"Look at that, Lieutenant!  Now you've jinxed us!"

But nothing could ever faze Captain Whiffo - and it probably helped that he was on top...

DSC01998.JPG

And so he rode victoriously, just the same...

DSC02020.JPG

...Right up to the dock...

DSC02022.JPG

...And landed amidst the stunned observance of all present.

DSC02026.JPG

...In a most singular and original unrolling of events totally not stolen from some other famous pirate captain (dear, Captain Whiffo nearly had my head for that "other"...).

Anyways, to get back to the story.  

DSC02041.JPG

"Good day sir!  Captain Whiffo, just sailed in from the middle of the ocean, if you need that for your records."

"Yes sir, thank you very much," exclaimed the official, making a quick note of it.  "And that'll be 7 DBs in tax for docking, if you please sir," he looked up from his pad of papers.

Captain Whiffo stared at him until his eyes almost popped out of their sockets.  "Taxes!  Tax, in an Eslandolan colony!  What are the Brick Seas coming to - have I been at sea so long?  I never thought I'd live to see the day...!"

DSC02048.JPG

"Right, 7 DBs sir," remarked the officer, with a grin, taking a half-step back.  It was Captain Whiffo's turn to smile.  He leaned toward him and extended his hook...

DSC02087.JPG

...And the official, losing his balance, tumbled off the docks.

DSC02089.JPG

And off...

DSC02091.JPG

Into the water...

DSC02092.JPG

Captain Whiffo leaned over with a wide smile. 

DSC02110.JPG

"That'll be 7 DBs for docking sir, if you please!" he exclaimed, "and so there we are equal, my good friend!"

-=-   -=-   -=-

"Cap'in-" interrupted the first mate again - "Cap'in, there aren't any port taxes in Elysabethtown."

26712166449_b186ebf1ea_z.jpg

"What?" exclaimed the Captain.  "Ah well, must have been some other rascally Maestro port that that happened at then," he grinned.  "But to get back to the point..."

-=-   -=-   -=-

"Actually, that pretty much was the point.  And then when all o' the crew had made it up (the official hadn't yet - "He wasn't there!" interrupted the first mate...), had made it up," the Captain repeated, "I headed off to buy the inn and warehouse where we'd landed for the ETWC to commemorate the event.  But after that..."

DSC02117.JPG

"That was when things really started happening..."  But sadly, I'm afraid that'll have to wait until next time :grin: :laugh:

A few more pics (hoping y'all haven't got tired of them yet :pir-grin:) sans minifigs:

49525197181_cc5a63c458_z.jpg

The dock:

49525198071_da1f2a5258_z.jpg

The street:

49524683298_9e6475f119_z.jpg

And the citizens of Elysabethtown:

DSC02191.JPG

Well, it's been way too long since I've last posted something here, and it's been like forever since I last built for this storyline! Hopefully I'll be getting better on both those points in the next couple of months though!  This build has been a long time in the works, and I had a lot of fun with it - got to use a bunch of my old grey on the warehouse too! - hope y'all enjoyed it and the story as well!  The buildings were based off these two inspiration pics, though both ended up getting modified to a decent degree (and I personally think my in looks better than the other one, but anyways :tongue:)  More to come from Captain Whiffo soon, Lord willing!

Thanks for viewing, C&C welcome as always!

587322772_shortcode-blogged-cp-2019.png.7f6c90aa316196c47f28a93d475b030e(1).png.788f9ac97fbc1788f48f443b2fd73253.png
Check it out!

I love this MOC! Gorgeous buildings, especially the inn, and Whiffo's Capt-Jack-like entrance is a hoot! I really like the hinged bay windows of the inn. Beautiful all around. :thumbup:

Beautiful build and good continuation of the story! Has it been so long?

The building techniques are nice, and the photography is really good, although a few pics seem rather dark -- but then dark grey does give it a dark look overall. The water is convincingly done and I like the little details like the sign and lanterns swinging in the sea breeze. And the printed rock pieces fit well alongside that dock.

The disintegrating and sinking raft is perfect. Question: did the music stop when his foot touched the dock? :grin:

("Captain Whiffo, you are, without a doubt, the worst pirate I've ever heard of.")

Wonderful build, you did an amazing job with the white house!  Fun story too, the interruption from the tavern about the taxes was hilarious. :pir_laugh2:  Cool layout for the dock and great job with the posing for the story!

The story and the build is a really fun one to watch. Both the buildings and the sense of humor in the story is great. I loved it

Really beautiful MOC and - as intended -  for some unknown reason Captain Whiffo's arrival does not remind me of Pirates of the Carribean at all... :pir_laugh2:

Thanks all! 

On 2/12/2020 at 11:29 AM, Spud The Viking said:

This is a truly beautiful build! The buildings are just perfect!

Really well done!

Thanks mate, glad you enjoyed them! :pir-sweet:  I was really happy with how the buildings in particular turned out as well!  That white house was not easy though :grin:

On 2/12/2020 at 12:48 PM, Capt Wolf said:

I love this MOC! Gorgeous buildings, especially the inn, and Whiffo's Capt-Jack-like entrance is a hoot! I really like the hinged bay windows of the inn. Beautiful all around. :thumbup:

:pir-grin: Thanks Capt!  

On 2/12/2020 at 1:21 PM, Captain Dee said:

Beautiful build and good continuation of the story! Has it been so long?

The building techniques are nice, and the photography is really good, although a few pics seem rather dark -- but then dark grey does give it a dark look overall. The water is convincingly done and I like the little details like the sign and lanterns swinging in the sea breeze. And the printed rock pieces fit well alongside that dock.

The disintegrating and sinking raft is perfect. Question: did the music stop when his foot touched the dock? :grin:

("Captain Whiffo, you are, without a doubt, the worst pirate I've ever heard of.")

Thanks Captain Dee!  Ikr!  It wasn't until I was linking the previous builds that I realized just how long ago the last time I'd built for poor Captain Whiffo was!  And yes, coincidentally the music did happen to stop just then - why would you ask? :innocent: :grin: 

Re: photography, yes, as a matter of fact it'd been so long since I'd taken pics of a decent-sized build I was busy figuring out what I was doing the whole time and only remembered my camera's trick for getting the exposure right just at the end (which is why the last overview shots are the best :laugh:).  And then it's always hard to make sure your pictures are the right brightness when you're editing them on a laptop :wacko:  (...Especially when your laptop is sitting on an old pirate chest instead of a desk and you're seated in one of the little tiny chairs Kai got for her first birthday... :grin:)

On 2/12/2020 at 2:32 PM, Kai NRG said:

Wonderful build, you did an amazing job with the white house!  Fun story too, the interruption from the tavern about the taxes was hilarious. :pir_laugh2:  Cool layout for the dock and great job with the posing for the story!

Thanks Kai!  Well, after I'd gone through so much work getting pics of that fellow toppling over that I wasn't about to scratch it just because it turns out Elysabethtown doesn't have any port taxes after all! :pir-grin:

On 2/13/2020 at 6:07 PM, Fraunces said:

The story and the build is a really fun one to watch. Both the buildings and the sense of humor in the story is great. I loved it

Thanks mate! :pir-sweet:  Great to hear it!

23 hours ago, Captain Braunsfeld said:

Really beautiful MOC and - as intended -  for some unknown reason Captain Whiffo's arrival does not remind me of Pirates of the Carribean at all... :pir_laugh2:

Thanks my friend!  Hmm, that seems a very singular non-coincidence... :pir-grin: :pir_laugh2:

I have to add some praise: The pier is really good, I think I will copy that approach. Looks marvellous.

(I was coming back here to show the scene to my wife, who is a huge fan of Captain Jack's arrival in Port Royal. Then I noticed some more details!)

:pir-sweet:

On 3/1/2020 at 6:05 PM, Captain Braunsfeld said:

I have to add some praise: The pier is really good, I think I will copy that approach. Looks marvellous.

(I was coming back here to show the scene to my wife, who is a huge fan of Captain Jack's arrival in Port Royal. Then I noticed some more details!)

:pir-sweet:

:grin: Thanks Captain!  And it's always awesome to hear that what I've built is giving inspiration to other MOCers! 

And sorry, a bit late, I know :pir-grin:

haha, sweet tribute to an iconic scene :D

also a sweet job building in the Elysabethtown style! It definitly fits there.

And the way you executed is just jaw-dropping!

How have I not commented on this! That black and white house is simply phenomenal. The bay sections really make the whole façade pop. The water technique looks fantastic as well. Great work, one of the best dock scenes I've seen in a while.

Very nice build and hilarious scene, I love in particular the white facade. And your ship "mooring" to the pier is a very, very nice touch! :pir_laugh2:

On 3/26/2020 at 5:04 PM, Maxim I said:

haha, sweet tribute to an iconic scene :D

also a sweet job building in the Elysabethtown style! It definitely fits there.

And the way you executed is just jaw-dropping!

Thanks Maxim! :pir-sweet:  Yep, I was trying to make it fit in with the style of the town (and with Eslandolan awesomeness in general :pir-grin:)!  Great to hear that you enjoyed it!

On 3/29/2020 at 5:51 AM, Ayrlego said:

How have I not commented on this! That black and white house is simply phenomenal. The bay sections really make the whole façade pop. The water technique looks fantastic as well. Great work, one of the best dock scenes I've seen in a while.

Thanks Ayrlego!  That bay section was undoubtedly the most complex part of the build, and you don't want to see it from the inside (trust me, it's a mess :grin: :laugh: - even those windows are actually all rounded ones stuck inside grill plates - I don't have any square ones yet - which stresses them a tiny bit but didn't damage any of mine), but I knew that would either make or break the building.  And I love trans-light blue tile water on top of studs! :wub:  Plus, when I can get one of my little siblings to take it apart for me that's just perfection :laugh:  Thanks mate!

6 hours ago, Keymonus said:

Very nice build and hilarious scene, I love in particular the white facade. And your ship "mooring" to the pier is a very, very nice touch! :pir_laugh2:

:pir-grin: Thanks KM!  I couldn't resist the urge to plagiarize that into my story the instant I thought of it! :laugh: :grin: