Lego David

Is LEGO making way too many vehicles?

In the past few years, the number of vehicle sets that LEGO has been making has grown a lot, to the point where themes like Ninjago, DC, Marvel, are almost completely focused on vehicles. From what I have seen, the fact that Ninjago is now focused almost exclusively on vehicles has turned a lot of people down, so I was wandering... Are LEGO Vehicles getting out of control? Is LEGO making more than they really should be?

What are your thoughts?

I think that Lego makes what sells good.
Kids like cars, so they make vehicles.
Girls like dolls, so they make Friends.
Adults like giant technic sets so they make giant technic and Starwars sets.

Edited by JaBaCaDaBra

Yes, from my personal perspective, there are way too many vehicle sets, or buildings packed with vehicles in the same sets.

While there have been a few exceptions, most City sets with any buildings have too many vehicles in them, raising the price by a lot or causing "unwanted content". 

Just look at sets like Capital City , I do like the Hotel, Hot-Dog Stand, Skatepark and even some of the vehicles, but buying it all in 1 package puts the price at €140.

It's not even that the vehicles are bad themselves, it's that they don't sell such builds seperately (only within Creator 3-in-1 you might get such scale builds)

60200-1.jpg?201805251126

Eventually if you would actually get such sets, over time, you'd still have many more vehicles then actual City buildings.

Also would've prefered if they kept some things seperate like this : 

About half is about Winter-Sports , but then there are 2 emergency vehicles, a clinic and a helicopter that are "seperate" from the rest.

Again, not that the vehicles are bad, they could've packed those emergency vehicles + clinic under a "winter medical" set, they had a winter helicopter recently that could go with it, just like the Snow Groomer set can go alongside the Ski theme.

60203-1.jpg?201908161036

And while 3-in-1 does provide City-scale buildings, it highly varies what's offered from year to year.

As for other themes, Nexo Knights was okay as a one-off, but in hindsight, for a theme with 50+ sets, it just had 2 major (fantastic) castles, 1 small tower, and 1 mobile castle that could fold out, the rest were vehicles/mechs/flyers.

Other themes like Elves and Hidden Side do have some vehicles(or animals) but less then Nexo Knights etc had. Many of the larger vehicles (Ghost Train, School Bus, Stunt Truck were seperate from locations like Graveyard/School, and Shrimp shack only had a small buggy.

There currently is no Elves like theme, and no Castle or Pirates theme either, Pirates did have ships and rowboats but still was a very location-focused theme, similar for Castle having horses, catapults , royal carriages and such.

I just list in-house themes here, as licensed themes have their own focuses on things within their license, while something like Harry Potter (or even Lord of the Rings/Hobbit previously) certainly is a location-focused theme, for me it's not a replacement for a Castle theme.

I only came back to LEGO in 2016 and started looking into other themes since 2019, but my favorite current theme is Creator 3-in-1 , mainly the fact that buildings are seperate from vehicles, or vehicles can actually have alternate buildings builds.

Conclusion : Many City vehicles aren't bad, but rather would've seen them seperate, but I can imagine due to Shelf space that isn't viable nowadays.

Edited by TeriXeri

TLG is big on swoosh factor. It is considered what sells Lego when compared to the toy competition. Hence more vehicles that can be vroomed or swooshed around.
More vehicle sets as a ratio of line up means they sell a lot of vehicle sets, ergo vehicle sets must be popular, ergo gotta make more vehicle sets. Simplistic logic but I can see TLG falling into that hole.

@TeriXeri City is the most popular theme in Lego and vehicles sell (mostly first responders). That's prolly why. 

I think they do it that way so that we could get less popular city matter like the hotel or museum. Though the bus, sports car and mobile crane would've in fact done even better as great vehicles. 

Edited by Brandon Pea

This seems to reflect a difference in the way adults and kids approach LEGO. Speaking in broad strokes, I think kids see their sets as toys and adults see them as miniature models. A vehicle is easier and more intuitive to play with after assembly than a building or other stationary structure, which is more natural to just sit in place on display.

Just now, Karalora said:

This seems to reflect a difference in the way adults and kids approach LEGO. Speaking in broad strokes, I think kids see their sets as toys and adults see them as miniature models. A vehicle is easier and more intuitive to play with after assembly than a building or other stationary structure, which is more natural to just sit in place on display.

This.

I completely agree with everything @Karalora wrote.

My LEGO career began at age three, which is about 55 years ago. A photograph shows me pushing the train 323 on the floor - which is exactly what you observed: Put it together, earn all the "wow good job" cheers - and then push it and have fun.

In other words though - as there is a discussion here on EB going on "AFOLs", their percentage money impact, their head count, and their impact on new products (we should face it: A new set is of course a simple product, with all that means) - the vehicle# increase is simply reflecting the core business of TLG: Kids.

Very nicely phrased, thank you very much!

Best
Thorsten

15 minutes ago, Karalora said:

Just now, Toastie said:

This.

I completely agree with everything @Karalora wrote.

My LEGO career began at age three, which is about 55 years ago. A photograph shows me pushing the train 323 on the floor - which is exactly what you observed: Put it together, earn all the "wow good job" cheers - and then push it and have fun.

In other words though - as there is a discussion here on EB going on "AFOLs", their percentage money impact, their head count, and their impact on new products (we should face it: A new set is of course a simple product, with all that means) - the vehicle# increase is simply reflecting the core business of TLG: Kids.

Very nicely phrased, thank you very much!

Best
Thorsten

I agree with everything said here. 

Btw, @Toastie, do you work for Lego? You referred to Lego as your career. So I thought I'd ask. 

5 hours ago, Brandon Pea said:

@TeriXeri City is the most popular theme in Lego and vehicles sell (mostly first responders). That's prolly why. 

I think they do it that way so that we could get less popular city matter like the hotel or museum. Though the bus, sports car and mobile crane would've in fact done even better as great vehicles. 

The thing is, I don't have problem with most of the emergency vehicles, the main complaint I had was Sky Police and that large airplane that comes with that Air Base set. 

I just didn't like that large airplane at all, being so weirdly wide, just to hold a parachute, and I don't like those cockpit parts.

But I also can understand why they put the largest airplane in the subtheme together with the control tower.

I might have bought the tower + car if it were just a standalone smaller set.

I know there are options of buying sections of a set via ebay and such but I like to buy sets as a new for the whole experience.

And I know sets like Donut Shop, Toy Shop, Ski Resort, Capital City can only exist as those large playsets as City doesn't release buildings standalone.

And I also understand those sets make great playsets for the target age range, as someone's first City set or big Birthday/Christmas gift etc.

Edited by TeriXeri

On 2/12/2020 at 5:12 PM, TeriXeri said:

The thing is, I don't have problem with the emergency vehicles, the main complaint I had was Sky Police and that large airplane that comes with that Air Base set.

Yo! You wouldn't believe it but the Lego store was desolate of Sky Police. They was like "We stopped selling those since the beginning of this month!". It was obviously something Lego wanted to forget ever existed thus why they were on the "Retiring Soon" list back in December. A little too early to retire those sets, aye? 

Personally, considering that Lego is a billion dollar company, I think City could do without a police wave for one year. But if they absolutely had to do one every year, I would've chose a less outlandish path such as Highway Patrol which would center mostly around road car chases or State Troopers, which would take place in the suburbs. 

On 2/12/2020 at 5:12 PM, TeriXeri said:

I might have bought the tower + car if it were just a standalone smaller set.

I know there are options of buying sections of a set via ebay and such but I like to buy sets as a new for the whole experience.

I was able to get the sports car by itself. Same with the hotel, museum and the crane. You're probably surprised that I didn't get the bus, but I just never liked Lego City buses in red. 

I'm actually waiting for the bank from the monster truck heist to show up on eBay so I can get it. Don't need the monster truck. But the van could be useful. 

Tbh, I wouldn't be surprised (or angry, amazingly) if City were to take a break from buildings for a wave or two and focus strictly on vehicles and people packs. 

I say the latter from my account taking as it does seem that year after year, buildings are becoming either less common or less detailed. This year's police station, service station and bank are examples of that. But hey! More modifying for me. 

Edited by Brandon Pea

8 hours ago, Lego David said:

In the past few years, the number of vehicle sets that LEGO has been making has grown a lot, to the point where themes like Ninjago, DC, Marvel, are almost completely focused on vehicles. 

What are your thoughts?

What exactly do you mean by “grown a lot”? Taking a look back at the 2012 Marvel sets. All of the sets of that wave either had a vehicle as the focal point of the set, or a vehicle was included as a side build:

Wolverine’s Chopper Showdown - Helicopter

Captain America’s Avengering Cycle - Motorcycle 

Loki’s Cosmic Cube - Jeep/truck

Hulk’s Helicarrier Breakout - Jet

Quinjet Aerial Battle - Quinjet

Doc Ock Ambush - Buggy 

Is that any different to last year’s Endgame/Far From Home sets? Same if you compare the 2006 Batman sets to the ones released last year. They’ve always been very vehicle based. 

35 minutes ago, Karalora said:

Definitely. And so vehicles sell better, so LEGO make more of them. 

14 minutes ago, Brandon Pea said:

You referred to Lego as your career. So I thought I'd ask. 

@Brandon Pea I take that as a compliment :classic:. Thank you for even remotely considering that.

But no, I am not, it couldn't be further away: I am a >user< (as we have not defined AFOLs yet:laugh:)

I should maybe be more careful with my wording; consider everything I am writing here as relaxed, funny, and not relevant. I am enjoying all these discussions, I am really a free style person and do what I see fit. 

That does not mean that I do not have an opinion. I do share that here on EB. With my limited range of language coverage. As @Masked Mini has correctly noticed: He or she sensed some weird accent in my writing - I loved that reply so much.

All the best
Thorsten

8 minutes ago, Brandon Pea said:

Do you see Lego City taking a break from buildings for a wave or two to focus on vehicles and people packs? 

I wouldn't mind that if it's balanced out with some nice series of 3-in-1 buildings.

The reason I say 3-in-1 is as they can cover multiple types of shops with 1 set via alternate builds.

People can always buy multiple sets to make different variations or even upscale them into "modular sized".

Just now, TeriXeri said:

I wouldn't mind that if it's balanced out with some nice series of 3-in-1 buildings.

And isn't that happening? I believe so.

What I am concerned about though is that the 3-in-1 sets become ... less and less "complete". They fold out nicely, and TLG is showing that on the box, but it should get back a little to "buildings", which are enclosed. I know it is about playability and I know that modulars do that, and I know that you can fold them. But the left over is kind of ... small.

Again: I do buy these 3-in-1's and give them what they need.

22 minutes ago, Brandon Pea said:

Do you see Lego City taking a break from buildings for a wave or two to focus on vehicles and people packs? 

No, I don't. As far as I read it, most City sets have vehicles because they have to have vehicles for the kids to play with (see above). Sometimes, I personally have the impression they are add-ons - simply because I don't push them around anymore ... I am old ...

Best
Thorsten 

I think it has always been like that. If I look at the sets that came out when I played with LEGO is a kid (1989-1995), there were a lot of cars, trucks, boats, helicopters, airplanes, space ships, medieval carts, cranes, etc. Vehicles with wheels are the easiest to play with ánd the easiest to make your own creation. I don’t think we’re seeing more vehicles than in the past. I think LEGO is currently more diverse than ever.

2 hours ago, Toastie said:

He or she sensed some weird accent in my writing - I loved that reply so much.

I was just teasing you, your english is great!
Viel besser als mein Platt-Deutsch auf jeden fall! Und das nach dem Ich doch mit den Wernersens aufgewachsen bin... tsk tsk.

52 minutes ago, OxnardMontalvo said:

I think it has always been like that.

I think you're right. Trying to turn the clock back 30 years in my head and all the sets I remember had a vehicle. Except maybe my Castle stuff but even there I got alot of the tiny packs that had a carriage or barrow of some sort. And I guess horses count as vehicles as you can clop-clop them around. Practically every single Classic Pirates set had a boat or ship in it. Browsing bricklink "Town" sorted by year and virtually every set for decades had a vehicle.

@Brandon Pea Now that I think about it... One of my favorite sets back then was a City (Town) set. 6490-1 Amazon Crossing.
I also remember getting 6669-1 Diesel Daredevil, 6530 Sport Coupe, 6506 Police Cruiser and 6643 Fire dept. Jeep
1991 was also the year the wheels changed from the small hard rubber ones to the bigger ones (5132-1) AND we got the red spring suspension axles (5046-1)! Those were my jam! Loved those things and never could get enough of building/playing with those.

55 minutes ago, Masked Mini said:

@Brandon Pea Now that I think about it... One of my favorite sets back then was a City (Town) set. 6490-1 Amazon Crossing.
I also remember getting 6669-1 Diesel Daredevil, 6530 Sport Coupe, 6506 Police Cruiser and 6643 Fire dept. Jeep
1991 was also the year the wheels changed from the small hard rubber ones to the bigger ones (5132-1) AND we got the red spring suspension axles (5046-1)! Those were my jam! Loved those things and never could get enough of building/playing with those.

If I had enough bricks, I'd build my own buildings. Honestly, I think to cut down on arguments over City - it would be best to focus mostly on vehicles. Most of the time, the arguments come from the amount of buildings on whether there is enough or not. Such as too many police stations or fire stations (which tbh, Id have to agree) If we eliminate the buildings from City, then no one wins....and a lot of times, when no one wins, more people are happy. 

Edited by Brandon Pea

Go back 40-50 years. LEGO® had many vehicles.  Even the basic brick sets came with some wheels back then.  Come to think of it, LEGO® is the number one tire manufacturer in the world.  All those tires gotta go somewhere.

Ok, so from what I gathered from this topic, people seem to be ok with LEGO having so many vehicles. But if that is the case, why do I see so many people complaining about Ninjago having too many vehicles and not enough location-based sets?

I even saw a lot of people being very concerned about the fact that Monkey Kid/Leaf could potentially also be a vehicle-based theme.

Edited by Lego David

19 hours ago, Lego David said:

Is LEGO making more than they really should be?

Definitely. As someone who hasn't even a particular love for cars every brick "wasted" on the umpteenth pointless vehicle makes me wanna yell at someone. I totally get that I'm in the minority and in fact utterly understand that kids just love police cars, fire trucks, weird helicopters and the like, but that doesn't change the fact that the abundance of all sorts of vehicles at times feels a bit desperate and unimaginative. It's like whenever they have to fill a slot and can't come up with something else they settle on a car.

19 hours ago, Lego David said:

the fact that Ninjago

Different story, IMO. Ninjago simply has run its course and probably should be put to rest and replaced with something else one of these days. They simply have navigated themselves in a corner with the ever same stories, just in different guises, and everything has been done to death. The kids still love it, but overall it's become stale...

Mylenium

4 hours ago, Lego David said:

But if that is the case, why do I see so many people complaining about Ninjago having too many vehicles and not enough location-based sets?

Ninjago is supposed to be a theme about battling. That's why. It's not supposed to be a vehicle based theme. 

As for themes like City, I actually don't mind there being a lot of vehicles. These days, there are more vehicles than buildings around. Though I would appreciate if City paid more attention to ambulances, garbage trucks, tow trucks and buses than they do now. I say those since medical, sanitation, towing and transportation are essential city services. They've already granted my wish for more civilian automobiles as we've gotten a slew of those this year. 

Edited by Brandon Pea

I don't mind road vehicles, but they have way too many helicopters in my opinion, and in general too many boats.  I refuse to buy helicopter sets anymore.  I wish they made more residential houses and apartments.