LM71Blackbird

[COR - FB - Royal Property] Quinnsville Cathedral

Quinnsville Cathedral

For far to long the ever growing city of Quinnsville has been without a compass for religious direction. Since it's founding  by Sir Smaugton, it has been riddled with gambling hubs and places of debauchery. Furthermore, Oleon's Order of the Faith has seen rapid expansion as far east as Mesabi Landing and possibly even further under the guidance of Canon Francois. The more relaxed values of the Faith that belong to The Church of Corrington however, can not be soon forgotten. The religious structure set up by generations before will not soon be forgotten in Quinnsville with the completed construction of a brand new Royal Cathedral within the city limits.

49523477243_0491586091_h.jpg4.1 by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

The new cathedral will serve many functions in the city aside from a religious hub. It will be a place for the locals to gather and socialize with one another and a safe haven to congregate in the event of a raid as the church was built far enough away from the water as to be out of cannon range.

49524211732_3c403106ff_k.jpg4.3 by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

Mayor Brickford and his wife are in attendance for the first mass in the Cathedral. He is very grateful for the bishop and his priests coming all the way from the Corrington mainland in order to make this new endeavor in a success in the isles.

49524211877_1328190088_k.jpg4.4 by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

With the high vaulted ceilings the beautiful and ornate organ will certainly be the talking point of every week. With the doors to the building  open, you can almost hear the breathtaking notes from the harbour on a slow day. You can most certainly hear the church bells every hour however, whether you want to or not!

49524211822_7efabdef6c_k.jpg4.5 by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

Surely many more stupendous things are in store for Quinnsville's future!

----------------------------------------------------

At long last I have finally built a Royal property for Quinnsville so it can jump to the next level! I have gone through many of ideas and and started a lot of builds before deciding on building a Cathedral. Several reasons were considered when building this. Beside the couple of obvious ones to boost Quinnsville, not much has been written on the religions of many of the nations in BoBs. Mostly with good reason, but as Corrington is a England type country, a well structured church organization is something I feel is in order, so I took some license to do so.

Now on to technical stuff!

I intend to license this as a Royal Arts & Culture build upon approval from leadership. The Cathedral consists of approx. 14.5k bricks and has a baseplate footprint of 13,824 studs, so it most certainly surpasses the 10k stud minimum. It does feature an interior with pews and an organ. The way I created the stained glass windows does however prevent me from doing a top down interior render. For top down viewing of the whole build though, please check the spoiler below.

Spoiler

49523489393_37d35b14f0_k.jpg4.6 by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

49527202412_09b7593af9_h.jpg4.7 by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

C&c are welcome and appreciated and thanks for looking!

Edited by LM71Blackbird

That's awesome. Bit jealous that I wasn't the first person to build one. But is Catholicism Canon? Can we get a ruling from the council? I thought everyone followed the Order, it was just more powerful in Oleon.

If Catholicism exists, then the Corrington Prometheans are heretics against both religions. 

Very cool. A lot of great details fitting for a Royal property. The buttresses, cross shape and stained glass are all very distinctive of a cathedral and I love the pipe organ! Actually that shot through the front doors is my favourite of them all. Interesting approach to the spires as well. 

2 hours ago, Ross Fisher said:

But is Catholicism Canon?

No. Real world religions are to be avoided as much as possible as to not upset players of differing opinions/faiths. So the use of the term Catholicism here was probably unfortunate.

That said we can't really have a game set during the time frame without religion as religion played a major role in the period. Thus the Order takes on the characteristics of the Catholic church during the age of discovery with a pantheon of Greco-Roman gods. The Religion of the Molokei has very Islamic looking architecture with a pantheon of Egyptian gods. My understanding is these are the only two 'canon' religions. There are several player based ones; from memory there is the Truachesh a Celtic like region created by @gedren_y (note that the Truachesh have been officially acknowledged in lore, so they could probably also be considered 'cannon'). Also the Prometheans that you mentioned by @mesabi; and the Church of Sol and Luna by @Capt Wolf I may have missed others but those are the ones that come to mind.

Officially, the Order is still widespread in Corrington; especially in rural regions and the (old world) island territories. Our society is a secular one with freedom of religion and many of the educated class reject religious doctrine as superstition not supported by science and reason. I missed most of the story lines that centred around Mesabi's Prometheans, but I interpret them as a very small radical sect of fanatics and they are certainly not part of mainstream Corrish culture (or lore). Here I interpreted LM's use of the term 'Church of Corrington' to mean perhaps be an offshoot of the order? Like he says, maybe it is similar to the Church of England? It would make sense for more moderate Corries who don't want to break with the Order completely to maybe have something that is kinda like The Order-Lite! Probably something we need to discuss more as a faction then release something on our front page to clarify. 

1 hour ago, Ayrlego said:

Very cool. A lot of great details fitting for a Royal property. The buttresses, cross shape and stained glass are all very distinctive of a cathedral and I love the pipe organ! Actually that shot through the front doors is my favourite of them all. Interesting approach to the spires as well. 

No. Real world religions are to be avoided as much as possible as to not upset players of differing opinions/faiths. So the use of the term Catholicism here was probably unfortunate.

That said we can't really have a game set during the time frame without religion as religion played a major role in the period. Thus the Order takes on the characteristics of the Catholic church during the age of discovery with a pantheon of Greco-Roman gods. The Religion of the Molokei has very Islamic looking architecture with a pantheon of Egyptian gods. My understanding is these are the only two 'canon' religions. There are several player based ones; from memory there is the Truachesh a Celtic like region created by @gedren_y (note that the Truachesh have been officially acknowledged in lore, so they could probably also be considered 'cannon'). Also the Prometheans that you mentioned by @mesabi; and the Church of Sol and Luna by @Capt Wolf I may have missed others but those are the ones that come to mind.

Officially, the Order is still widespread in Corrington; especially in rural regions and the (old world) island territories. Our society is a secular one with freedom of religion and many of the educated class reject religious doctrine as superstition not supported by science and reason. I missed most of the story lines that centred around Mesabi's Prometheans, but I interpret them as a very small radical sect of fanatics and they are certainly not part of mainstream Corrish culture (or lore). Here I interpreted LM's use of the term 'Church of Corrington' to mean perhaps be an offshoot of the order? Like he says, maybe it is similar to the Church of England? It would make sense for more moderate Corries who don't want to break with the Order completely to maybe have something that is kinda like The Order-Lite! Probably something we need to discuss more as a faction then release something on our front page to clarify. 

That is exactly what I was going for. I edited the topic until I have time to add in stuff properly.

5 hours ago, Ross Fisher said:

That's awesome. Bit jealous that I wasn't the first person to build one. But is Catholicism Canon? Can we get a ruling from the council? I thought everyone followed the Order, it was just more powerful in Oleon.

If Catholicism exists, then the Corrington Prometheans are heretics against both religions. 

Thank you! I thought it was kind of overdue, that and it was fun to build!

You are correct. For lack of a different word I went with something common IRL. 

3 hours ago, Ayrlego said:

There are several player based ones; from memory there is the Truachesh a Celtic like region created by @gedren_y (note that the Truachesh have been officially acknowledged in lore, so they could probably also be considered 'cannon').

A small primer on how refer to the Triuri faith, and it's followers. The religious institution is the Crahaish neh Triuri (Ministry of the Triple Goddess). The culture the faith comes from is the Truachesh neh Triuri (People of the Triple Goddess), most often just shortened to Truachesh. People who believe in the Triuri from outside the Truachesh culture are referred to as Triuri Faithful.

This build is a wonderfully clean design. It manages to be ornate without being too cluttered.

Gorgeous build! Excellent details. I'm really enjoying looking over all of it!

8 hours ago, LM71Blackbird said:

I intend to license this as a Royal Artisan build upon approval from leadership.

It's a worthy royal build, but the category should be Art & Culture. Churches are one of the defining builds for the culture category.

8 hours ago, LM71Blackbird said:

as Corrington is a England type country, a well structured church organization is something I feel is in order, so I took some license to do so.

5 hours ago, Ayrlego said:

Officially, the Order is still widespread in Corrington … I interpreted LM's use of the term 'Church of Corrington' to mean perhaps be an offshoot of the order? Like he says, maybe it is similar to the Church of England?

That's how I interpret it as well, and it seems appropriate.

5 hours ago, Ayrlego said:

we can't really have a game set during the time frame without religion as religion played a major role in the period. Thus the Order takes on the characteristics of the Catholic church during the age of discovery with a pantheon of Greco-Roman gods. The Religion of the Molokei has very Islamic looking architecture with a pantheon of Egyptian gods. My understanding is these are the only two 'canon' religions. There are several player based ones; from memory there is the Truachesh a Celtic like region created by @gedren_y (note that the Truachesh have been officially acknowledged in lore, so they could probably also be considered 'cannon'). Also the Prometheans that you mentioned by @mesabi; and the Church of Sol and Luna by @Capt Wolf

That looks like a fair rundown of what I can recall as well.

The one modification I would suggest to the MOC (not that such a modification is necessary for any game mechanic purposes) is to replace the crosses on the spires with something either game-related or something sufficiently generic, so as to avoid references to real-world religions. But it's still a wonderful MOC! :thumbup:

Whoa... now that's impressive! *oh2* Excellent rendition of a cathedral, no question. The tan really stands out against the grey base, and the architectural features and stained glass look good. Pity we can't see more of that pipe organ (and what a coincidence that I was looking up pipe organ designs just last night!) Excellent work.

This is one digital design that just might be enhanced by the seamless look (ie, no individual brick outlines); I understand this is a function of one of the versions of LDD, correct? That being said, it really draws attention to the grey Nexo-shield pieces in the base, which do make a lovely design when arranged this way.

Magnificent scale, great job with the windows and the general layout.  The glimpse of the interior is a treat too! :thumbup: 

6 hours ago, gedren_y said:

A small primer on how refer to the Triuri faith, and it's followers. The religious institution is the Crahaish neh Triuri (Ministry of the Triple Goddess). The culture the faith comes from is the Truachesh neh Triuri (People of the Triple Goddess), most often just shortened to Truachesh. People who believe in the Triuri from outside the Truachesh culture are referred to as Triuri Faithful.

This build is a wonderfully clean design. It manages to be ornate without being too cluttered.

Thank you! Mission accomplished on getting a clean design!

4 hours ago, Capt Wolf said:

Gorgeous build! Excellent details. I'm really enjoying looking over all of it!

It's a worthy royal build, but the category should be Art & Culture. Churches are one of the defining builds for the culture category.

That's how I interpret it as well, and it seems appropriate.

That looks like a fair rundown of what I can recall as well.

The one modification I would suggest to the MOC (not that such a modification is necessary for any game mechanic purposes) is to replace the crosses on the spires with something either game-related or something sufficiently generic, so as to avoid references to real-world religions. But it's still a wonderful MOC! :thumbup:

Thanks a lot!

I most certainly meant Art & Culture... I really gotta stop posting stuff late at night... :wacko:

I'm glad the idea of Church of England came across for the most part as well.

For the crosses on the spires, I both agree and disagree with you. Crosses are pretty near universal in my opinion as all the main religions have them in some form or another. But I do understand about not wanting to offend anyone, which is certainly never my intention.

3 hours ago, Captain Dee said:

Whoa... now that's impressive! *oh2* Excellent rendition of a cathedral, no question. The tan really stands out against the grey base, and the architectural features and stained glass look good. Pity we can't see more of that pipe organ (and what a coincidence that I was looking up pipe organ designs just last night!) Excellent work.

This is one digital design that just might be enhanced by the seamless look (ie, no individual brick outlines); I understand this is a function of one of the versions of LDD, correct? That being said, it really draws attention to the grey Nexo-shield pieces in the base, which do make a lovely design when arranged this way.

Thank you! I'm glad you like the tan, I tried 3 other colors before settling on the nougat color. I was originally planning on trying to try a different render program, but after looking at a bunch of real cathedrals, most of them had pretty smooth surfaces. As to the organ, ask and you shall receive!

Spoiler

49527202412_02a96b4a43.jpg4.7 by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

3 hours ago, Kai NRG said:

Magnificent scale, great job with the windows and the general layout.  The glimpse of the interior is a treat too! :thumbup: 

Thanks a lot!

10 hours ago, Ayrlego said:

That said we can't really have a game set during the time frame without religion as religion played a major role in the period. Thus the Order takes on the characteristics of the Catholic church during the age of discovery with a pantheon of Greco-Roman gods.

This is what I was going for.

Officially, the Order is still widespread in Corrington; especially in rural regions and the (old world) island territories. Our society is a secular one with freedom of religion and many of the educated class reject religious doctrine as superstition not supported by science and reason.

I must be blind... I missed this when I was researching for the build... Thanks for letting me know!

Here I interpreted LM's use of the term 'Church of Corrington' to mean perhaps be an offshoot of the order? Like he says, maybe it is similar to the Church of England? It would make sense for more moderate Corries who don't want to break with the Order completely to maybe have something that is kinda like The Order-Lite! Probably something we need to discuss more as a faction then release something on our front page to clarify. 

Again, this is what I was going for! I was thinking along the lines of the Catholic and Protestant type of rivalry. With the Church of Corrington being the Catholic side and Olean's strict Order of the Faith the Protestant side. But for that to be official there would need to be some deliberation in regards to that I guess. Any faction specific stuff we can take to the Faction Thread.

I adjusted the first paragraph of the story to hopefully better fit the established lore.

1 hour ago, LM71Blackbird said:

As to the organ, ask and you shall receive!

Reveal hidden contents

49527202412_02a96b4a43.jpg4.7 by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

Beautiful design. That's virtually identical to one of the designs I came across last night. :thumbup:

8 hours ago, gedren_y said:

The religious institution is the Crahaish neh Triuri (Ministry of the Triple Goddess).

Possibly a discussion for another place, but I reckon Canon François would regard the Triuri as a heretical modification of the three Aplynician Brothers, rather than a completely different religion. What your own oral traditions say, is completely up to you. 

2 hours ago, LM71Blackbird said:

Lol! That is the exact one I used for inspiration! What are the odds of that?

It's a pretty good coincidence at any rate. I was looking for a digital design I'd seen a while back using pearl gold for the organ pipes (because, y'know, I kinda like gold colored stuff... :laugh: ) and while scrolling through pics came across the one you showed above. I did a double take. "Is that LEGO?!" At a glance it looks real! Then I looked down at the chair and realized it's HUGE!! In other words, you picked a good one to copy. :grin:

Gorgeous build, huge but still with an incredible level of detail! The architecture is very nice, but what I like most are the pipe organ and the stained glass. Well done!

4 hours ago, Keymonus said:

Gorgeous build, huge but still with an incredible level of detail! The architecture is very nice, but what I like most are the pipe organ and the stained glass. Well done!

Thank you very much!

It never ceases to amaze me the level of detail and ingenuity that people can come up with to create marvels from simple bricks. This is a testament to creativity. Love the sidwalk pattern the most along with the two bell towers. Great work.

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2020 at 5:59 PM, Magnuson24 said:

It never ceases to amaze me the level of detail and ingenuity that people can come up with to create marvels from simple bricks. This is a testament to creativity. Love the sidwalk pattern the most along with the two bell towers. Great work.

Thank you very much!