Bob De Quatre

[Review] #75269 Duel on Mustafar

Set information

Set Name: Duel on Mustafar

Set Number: 75269

Number of Pieces: 208

Theme: Star Wars

Year Release: 01/2020

Prices: £19.99 / $19.99 / €24.99 (Euro prices may vary)

#75269 on Brickset

#75269 on Rebrickable

Recreate Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi’s memorable Duel on Mustafar from Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith with this action-packed LEGO® Star Wars™ construction playset (75269) for kids! The buildable Mustafarian mine has sliding, rotating platforms for the 2 Lightsaber-wielding minifigures to do battle. The construction model also folds out and has a cool lava explosion function to inspire unlimited adventures. Interactive instructions! This LEGO set comes with printed building instructions. Kids can also use Instructions PLUS, available within the free LEGO Life app, to let them zoom in on, rotate and visualize the mine while building the real thing. Awesome! With love from LEGO Star Wars universe! Since 1999, the LEGO Group has been creating brick-built versions of iconic starships, vehicles, locations and characters from the Star Wars universe. There is a huge array of sets for play and display that make great gift ideas for fans of all ages.

• Iconic Star Wars™ rivals? Check! Lightsabers? Check! ‘Molten lava’ explosion function? Check! This foldout LEGO® set (75269) has all youngsters need to role-play Anakin vs. Obi-Wan battles on the planet Mustafar!
  • Kids can build a Mustafarian mine and place the Lightsaber-wielding Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi LEGO® minifigures on sliding, rotating platforms to recreate the epic Lightsaber Duel on Mustafar.
  • Both minifigures are new for January 2020, with burnt, battle-worn clothingdecorations, and there are lots of LEGO® bricks to inspire young fans to build creatively with other LEGO Star Wars™ sets.
  • There are many ways to play with this 208-piece LEGO® set, making it a fun birthday gift or Christmas present for boys and girls aged 7+ to introduce them to LEGO Star Wars™ building toys or expand their collection.
  • The Mustafarian mine measures over 5” (14cm) high, 4” (12cm) wide and 4” (12cm) deep – a compact size for portability – and opens up to a width of 9” (23cm) for alternative play experiences.
  • Power up kids’ imaginations with this battery-free Mustafar building toy playset, encouraging them to develop their creativity while playing out fun adventures inspired by Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith.
  • Easy-to-follow Instructions PLUS, available in the free LEGO® Life app, allow even younger builders to visualize this construction model from all angles as they build it, adding to their feelings of awesomeness!
  • LEGO® Star Wars™ building kits are fabulous for kids (and adult fans) to relive scenes from Star Wars saga, create their own unique stories or just build and display the collectible construction models.
  • Builders will not need Jedi powers to connect or pull apart LEGO® bricks! Ever since 1958, they have met the highest industry standards to ensure consistency and robust building.
  • LEGO® bricks and pieces are stringently tested to make sure that every building set meets the highest safety standards here on planet Earth (and in galaxies far, far away!).

Packaging

The front of the box shows the usual Star Wars theme for non RotS sets. As usual, the bottom right corner shows the 2 minifigs included in the set: Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker.

49476880176_65055e3a6f_c.jpg

The back of the box shows the set and all the play features.

49477103017_b15c6b7308_c.jpg

Content of the box

The box contains 2 numbered bags and the instruction booklet. 

49476395723_914ed7f7ab_c.jpg

Minifigures

The set contains 2 minifigures: Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker in their Mustafar outfit. Both minifigs are exclusives from head to toes... but not up to the hait pieces.

49476879851_4452ecd76e_c.jpg

49476395608_52431054d0_c.jpg

Build

The build is easy but not that interesting. The first bag will create the two base halves, each with a sliding path, while the second bag will add the two platforms and details.

49476880026_8c079577f0_c.jpg

49476879971_12e622a227_c.jpg

Play features

There are lots of rotating or sliding parts, that makes that set a real playset, but I'm honestly not sure if children would actually play with it. The set could also be a displayed completely folded in or out, and make a nice display model, even if some modding may be required. There is a small mecanism to throw lava in the air, but it doesn't work that well.

49476879941_3f21d95653_c.jpg

Conclusion

Design: 7/10 - The model is nice and the mechanisms for the platforms are well done, but the lava could have been better (less red, more flamish yellow) .

Parts: 6/10 - The part selection is average, except for the trans-orange parts.

Build: 5/10 - A pretty straightforward build with no interresting techniques.

Playability: 8/10 - The set has lots of play features, and the platforms for the two duelists are nice.

Minifigs: 10/10 - The two minifigs are nice and detailed but also exclusive!

Price: 8/10 - With a ppp of 0,12€ and 2 exclusive minifigs, this set seems is rather interesting.

Overall: 44/60 (73%) - A nice playable set, with great minifigs, but nothing more. The focus couls have been less on the playability and more on the display model aspect.

I may be an outlier but I haven't been a fan of these $20-30 small playset builds. But I do love how they still make EPIII sets. You mentioned stickers but I do not see which pieces require them.

I think the lava design used too much red here.

Also the price difference here locally (€26,99) :sad:

Edited by TeriXeri

As namioik mentioned there are no stickers in this set. So if too many stickers was the driver behind 6/10 design score i think it's time to reconsider. :)

Edited by sahidko

58 minutes ago, sahidko said:

As namioik mentioned there are no stickers in this set. So if too many stickers was dthe driver behind 6/10 design score i think it's time to reconsider. :)

Bob likes to copy/paste from older reviews and sometimes forgets something :wink:

Sith happens :)

I also haven’t been a huge fan of the smaller play sets but this one seems pretty good. I think it definitely looks better closed than it does open. 

And the fact that Obi Wan hasn’t been given the high ground is outrageous :tongue:

On one hand, I'm glad that they finally remade a set from one of my favorite scenes in all of Star Wars, and were able to do it at a lower price point while still giving some solid play features.  The figures are also fantastic and for the size, I think they crammed quite a bit into this set.  I was a little bit disappointed when it first came out but it's grown on me a lot since I bought it, my biggest gripe is honestly that one of my clip pieces is broken or something, because it refuses to connect all the way to the 1x2 plate with the pin on the other side, guess I'll have to order another one.

All that said, on the other hand, I'd definitely pay $80-100 if they gave us a big set with the landing pad, a small control room build, and a larger space for them to duel.  Wishful thinking, absolutely.  But hey, I can dream :) 

While this set doesn't look as good as Starkiller, it is in my eyes a better concept, for it's play-funtions. Still I really dislike the amount of red for the lava.

21 hours ago, mink66 said:

This looks like a 6 year old designed it.

Lego seems to be doing that a lot recently

7 hours ago, LEGODrongo01 said:

Lego seems to be doing that a lot recently

I don't know about that, I feel like this set is more of an exception. If you rewatch ROTS you can see what they were trying to do with the lava, but yeah they did fail pretty badly.

12 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I don't know about that, I feel like this set is more of an exception. If you rewatch ROTS you can see what they were trying to do with the lava, but yeah they did fail pretty badly.

Rewatching ROTS is definitely not something I want to do. But you are correct

I agree with the consensus that some of the red should have been swapped with some orange. I also think trans brown tiles could have covered some of the surface, making it look more molten obsidian look.

8 hours ago, Cinderbike said:

High ground!

You underestimate my power!

i think this set would be dramatically improved if the ground was orange with trans black and black plates, instead of this red and yellow stuff.

Edited by Mandalorianknight