HenrikLego

NSB Type 49 Dovregubben (Mountain King)

For about three and a halv years ago I started thinking about a model of Dovregubben (the name translates to Mountain King and is named after a troll that rules over Dovre in Henrik Ibsen's Peer Gynt). Dovregubben was the last (and biggest) steam locomotive on the Dovre Railway in Norway. In english the locomotive also goes under the name "The Dovre Giant".

NSB_type_49a_Dovregubben_Oppdal.jpg

Now the model is finished in 1:45 scale. This meens a model on about 49,5cm long, 7cm wide and 9,66cm high. The model consist of about 1.200 parts. It is motorized with two PF L-motors that is inside the boiler. It uses a sBrick (which also sits in the boiler), while the battery box is placed in the tender.

It's been a fun and educational build! Here are some pictures, there are more pictures on Flickr if you want to see details:

49513127892_c72f36e1fe_c.jpg

49512390468_2f42ed4ffd_c.jpg

49512903281_0c59b848c7_c.jpg

49517751883_7f4d1cd47b_c.jpg

49517751793_5606d1d18b_c.jpg

49518275616_45526a4e5e_c.jpg

49518491367_b919abea25_c.jpg

49517751558_38a1e4a3f4_c.jpg

Edited by HenrikLego

I'm really loving the custom rods. Once I have the money I'll have to buy some for my big boy. The train looks really nice too. The windows curving inwards is a beautiful touch. For the most part I like your decals, though the striping tape could be cleaned up a little. 

Lastly, the only thing this post needs is a picture of the original train this model is based on. 

Thanks a lot. I see I have something to improve on the decals! Will try to look into that. I updated the original post with a photo of the original and some images of the four carriages I have built.

Edited by HenrikLego

Oh wow! What a beauty. You did an exceptional job capturing the prototype. So many fine details everywhere I look. You may have upstaged your own locomotive though with the cars, those look amazing too. The windows and curtains are fantastic, I like how you did the window panes.

Excellent work on this steam giant. It's well detailed and quite sizable. The rolling stock looks good too.

Thanks to you all. Video: Yeah, I am going to an exhibition this weekend, so I will be posting a video of the set it in the layout we set up there.

On my way to the exhibition I will also drop by the Norwegian Railroad Museum at Hamar to get some pictures of the model together with the real engine. :)

I can also add a little bit of a back story to this: The Dovre Railway is celebrating 100 years in 2021, and the building of this model was planned to be a part of that celebration. As well as building four railway stations that is found on that railway. Me and three other builders are going to create one station each and a layout together with it that will be ready for the 100 year celebration next year. Maybe there will be time for some more rolling stock as well! A Nohab Di3 would be next on my list if time allows it.

Edited by HenrikLego

Very nice locomotive, the wheels seems to be BBB Large painted by yourself right? really well done

Man with a hat: Thanks, the windows are just fitting exactly in there between those door rail plates and the curtains are build using the same structure that holds the wall together. I was quite happy when I got all that to fit together. :)

monai: Thanks! Yeah, it's BBB Large wheels that are painted with red hobby paint.

8 hours ago, HenrikLego said:

Here is a little video from the first event I attended with Dovregubben. Mountain Brick 2020.

Very nice! (and kind of scary to see all of those kids right up against the layout without any stanchions)

Great to see it running.

Also interesting regarding the other thread, that TrixBrix switch there keeps bumping one of the carriage bogies almost off the track each time it goes past.

Yeah, that was because of a part of the carriage was placed incorrectly and had trouble when going out of the curve. It was fixed and ran smoothly after the video was shot. :)