Keymonus

Rimbaud's Raiders

île de  Zeus, Astrapi Royal Arsenal, January 620

Name: Rimbaud's Raiders
Unit size: Company
Type: Light infantry / Chasseurs
Motto: On the frontline and beyond

IMG_3288

A month had barely passed after the end of Infero Pordejon campaign, but winds of war were blowing again on the Brick Seas: two foreign nations were sharpening their claws in the East, ready to jump at each other's throat, and the interests of Oleon could be in danger. 

Under a cloudy winter sky, the First Light Infantry Company of Astrapi left its barracks and started loading the supplies for the next months on rowboats: weapons, ammunitions, artillery, cannonballs and, even more importantly, preserved food supplies… any good commander should always remember that an army, first of all, marches on his stomach.

IMG_3280

When a military unit leaves, infinite details must be taken into account: little things, such as a field kitchen (and so edible food rations) or a few bottles of liquors may drastically raise the moral of soldiers during the difficult days of a military expedition. 

IMG_E3278

For the same reason hardtacks, bought from civilian suppliers, are carefully checked by the company clerk… in many cases they can be infested by weevils, especially if the cheapest providers are chosen. In Rimbaud's Raiders, however, things are very different: everyone, from the private to the commander, eats exactly the same food, like in pirate crews. Only one of the many peculiarity of this company.

IMG_3289

The First Light Infantry Company of Astrapi, in fact, is a very peculiar unit. Rimbaud's Raiders were trained and equipped in early 618 at the expense of Tristan Rimbaud, at the time only a retired captain, and only recently they were integrated in regular Oleander Army. These soldiers have been deployed in all the last crises in Fatu Hiva and Infero Pordejon, achieving successes that would have been impossible for a regular unit: tight infantry formations and ordered lines of soldiers are useless in colonial scenarios, where irregular tactics, guerrilla and cooperation with local militias are far more effective. 
The Raiders have fought hard for Oleon wherever they were needed, becoming an elite unit: in the jungle or on the shore, in the wasteland outside Charlatan Bay or in its alleys, those men were always on the frontline during the most dangerous campaigns, loyal to their commander even when all the odds seemed against them.

This was possible only due to a peculiar choice of the commander: the First Company represented in fact a second chance, sometimes the last possible one, for brave and though men without a place in society… the scum of the nation, the undesired, received a second possibility, at the price of a great danger.

IMG_3243

There were veterans who couldn't return to civil life, trying to drown in alcool their past...

IMG_3248

...but also men with a turbulent life, smugglers or even pirates. Once a problem for the nation, the type of problems usually solved with a squalid cell or a canvas rope.

IMG_3275

Now, part of one of the arrowheads of the Royal Army.

IMG_3277

With flexible discipline, acceptable food and distribution of loot, the Rimbaud's Raiders are not so different from a pirate crew… their recruitment was quite a gamble, but they are exactly what is needed for the wars in the New World: not ordered lines of toy soldiers to face the enemy, but daring scoundrels to flank him and hit him hard. 

IMG_3286

Tristan and another officer inspecting new muskets

IMG_3283

A mysterious officer, met by Tristan few weeks before. He gave him new orders from the High Command, determining the departure of the Raiders.

IMG_3276

Native scouts, a constant element of the campaigns in the New World.

IMG_3284

Overall view of the scene.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Something I wanted to build long time ago! I used the Rimbaud's Raiders in all my operations, from Fatu Hiva to Charlatan Bay, but they didn't actually exist in EGS terms. I'll license them (better: I'll integrate them in the regular army) as a company, even if I still don't have any idea about where they will go. Not in Charlatan Bay, at least up to now; more probably in the East, to face the Lotii, or in an AMRCA. Anyways, I felt I needed them to exist to continue using them!

Edited by Keymonus
Uniformity with another topic

Wow, busy scene. All those close up pics really make it look lively and I enjoy seeing such a diverse collection of minifigs that go together so well. The Medium Dark Flesh, er, Medium Nougat elements really stand out well as an accent color, especially in the wall. The boats being loaded and pushed into the water is a nice touch. I like the fact that you actually show hardtack, which is pretty rare in this medium, and the writing on the jail wall is funny. And golden gates? But of course!!

[Addressing prisoners in best Barney Fife voice] "Now men, there are a few things we ought to get straight right at the start to avoid a lot of grief later on! Here at The Rock we have two basic rules! Memorize them so that you can say them in your sleep! The first rule is: Obey... all... rules! Secondly, do not write... on the walls... because it takes a lot of work... to erase writing... off of walls!" 

:pir-laugh:

I like how the scene has so much going on but it int overwhelming. The story is also well done and explains the build very well. I cannot wait to see them in action again.

I always enjoy your builds and this is not an exception! I love the bustling environment, the spot on close up pics and the good and explanatory/in depth writing. I especially liked the field kitchen and the awesome sticker at the jail wall!!!

On 2/9/2020 at 8:15 PM, Captain Dee said:

Wow, busy scene. All those close up pics really make it look lively and I enjoy seeing such a diverse collection of minifigs that go together so well. The Medium Dark Flesh, er, Medium Nougat elements really stand out well as an accent color, especially in the wall. The boats being loaded and pushed into the water is a nice touch. I like the fact that you actually show hardtack, which is pretty rare in this medium, and the writing on the jail wall is funny. And golden gates? But of course!!

Reveal hidden contents

[Addressing prisoners in best Barney Fife voice] "Now men, there are a few things we ought to get straight right at the start to avoid a lot of grief later on! Here at The Rock we have two basic rules! Memorize them so that you can say them in your sleep! The first rule is: Obey... all... rules! Secondly, do not write... on the walls... because it takes a lot of work... to erase writing... off of walls!" 

Thank you! :laugh: As soon as I saw that sticker on bricklink I planned to use it in a little cell, it is just perfect! 

On 2/9/2020 at 8:15 PM, Captain Dee said:

do not write... on the walls... because it takes a lot of work... to erase writing... off of walls!" 

On 2/9/2020 at 11:45 PM, merc said:

I like how the scene has so much going on but it int overwhelming. The story is also well done and explains the build very well. I cannot wait to see them in action again.

Thank you! Lotii will probably not be as glad as you! :pir-angry:

On 2/11/2020 at 8:02 AM, blackdeathgr said:

I always enjoy your builds and this is not an exception! I love the bustling environment, the spot on close up pics and the good and explanatory/in depth writing. I especially liked the field kitchen and the awesome sticker at the jail wall!!!

Thank you! I saw a field kitchen on a book some time ago and after some attempts I succeed in building one... actually a little too modern (1850 or even later) but in my opinion not so out of place.

The stories of the Raiders make this build a lot better. I really like the idea and I figure we will hear a lot more of these rough lot

Wonderful build! I love how busy it is, and breaking it up into various close-up shots makes it feel bigger. Lots to like here, as others have already pointed out. Well done! :thumbup:

Thank you guys! I’ve been too busy lately or they would have already be sent to the great alliance states! Fortunately my delay allows me to use for the next storyline about Carno-Lotus war without teleporting them back