Sign in to follow this  
Commander Wolf

[MOC] 1:48 Pennsylvania Railroad B1

Hi all, wanted to share this MOC as I "teased" it many years ago but did not finish it until now.

r10.jpg

I started building the B1 in an effort to build the smallest possible 1:48 scale PF model, but ended up building the slightly smaller A6b, and then later on the even smaller EMD Model 40. Since then the B1 has been sitting in a folder on my computer gathering virtual dust. Last year someone inquired about the model and I decided to finish it once and for all, and this is the result:

img_1544.jpg

img_1545.jpg

This is a pretty simple model just by virtue of the small size: the build is basically the same as that of the A6, just larger due to the larger scale size of the locomotive. It actually has a lot of volume compared to something like the Model 40, but the shape of LEGO motors and electronic components means that you can basically never fully utilize the 6-wide space in an 8-wide model.

img_1550.jpg

img_1551.jpg

The part of the model that stumped me initially was connecting the massive side frames to the body. I had tried a couple times to find a solution over the years, but I finally cheated by cartooning the tanks on the sides of the locomotive with plates such that I could fit structural components behind them.

img_1549.jpg

The pantograph can also move up and down!

Anyway, here is my video going into more detail about the model, as well as a Brickshelf gallery (when moderated). 

EDIT: Instructions for this model are now for sale on Rebrickable: https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-48349/NonsenseWars/148-pennsylvania-railroad-b1-power-functions-9v

Edited by Commander Wolf

Thanks for your thoughts guys, I really appreciate it! I really liked the way this one turned out.

A couple more random thoughts:

• I originally thought it was a close call between using red or dark red for the roof, but after building it in dark red, I'm glad I did because I think it's way better than straight red. 
  • I'm digging the use of the "flag" piece for small railings. I was again iffy on it at first, but I think it works well even though it's nothing like a railing.
  • Battery still isn't that easy to change since you have to pull the receiver and the associated wiring... but at the same time the geared 9v motor sips power so you shouldn't have to change it much.
    • It's also a good place to put old alkalines that have a partial charge; my A6 beforehand was also a dumping ground for those :grin:
  • B1s were originally built as semi-permanently coupled pairs (BB1-3): the side without the deck was the coupled side. Therefore the deck side is nominally the "front", which is good because it's the side where the overhang is greater. BB1-3 had both overhead (AC) and third-rail (DC) variants, but when the units were split, all were converted to overhead power.

Great job squeezing everything in, good looking sideframes.  Ah, the old 9V motor is the secret sauce to make it work.  I had to make my PRR B1 into a BB1 a few years ago so I could fit in the Power Functions IR receiver, battery box and M-motor.    :classic: