Sign in to follow this  
Lego David

[Poll] What's Your Favorite Modern Space Theme?

[POLL] What's Your Favorite Modern Space Theme?  

1. 1. What's your favorite Modern Space Theme?

• Mars Mission
    • Space Police
    • Alien Conquest
    • Galaxy Squad

Just now, Lego David said:

Just out of curiosity, out of all the modern space themes, which one is your personal favorite and why? 

Space Police III for me, though I'm afraid to say that the poll isn't working for me in the same manner they've been broken over on The Embassy subforum... :look:

Poll is also broken for me.  There were aspects I like about all of those, though Mars Mission was pretty weak IMO.  The "fun" that they had with Alien Conquest was great, and I liked the minifigs and aliens quite a lot, but the overall prize for me tips to Galaxy Squad because I thought the sets overall were more interesting and better built.

All those themes were during my dark age, so I just speak from pictures.

I think Space Police 3 was the most interesting one, also has the Base and the large Enforcer ship.

Alien Conquest comes next as I really like the contrast between the Earth and Invader designs and few but good looking sets.

I surprised myself by going with Galaxy Squad. Amongst the four themes it's the most evenly matched between heroes and villains, and I feel that the set design is better than MM.

4 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

I think Space Police 3 was the most interesting one, also has the Base and the large Enforcer ship.

For me, most of Space Police III's spacecraft builds seemed to be the most "swooshable" and had more of a retro vibe about them compared to the other themes. :classic:

BTW, how the poll function working out for you? How 'bout you @BrickJagger:shrug_confused:

Edited by Digger of Bricks

5 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

For me, most of Space Police III's spacecraft builds seemed to be the most "swooshable" and had more of a retro vibe about them compared to the other themes. :classic:

BTW, how the poll function working out for you? How 'bout you @BrickJagger:shrug_confused:

Not working for me either. Is it disappearing for you after you vote?

19 minutes ago, BrickJagger said:

Not working for me either. Is it disappearing for you after you vote?

Yep, and it reappears after refreshing the page just as it was before submitting your vote. This has also been a problem with polls started on more recent Embassy topics for quite some time now. :sad:

@Bob De Quatre, do you perhaps know what the issue might be? :def_shrug:

Edited by Digger of Bricks

I've got the same problem with the poll. It disappears after I press "show results" and reappares after I refresh, but it still doesn't show the results.

10 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

It sure has a retro vibe, especially the Enforcer ship type, but still like version 1 and 2 a lot more, I just like the angled designs over more rounded ones, 3 certainly added a whole level with the different Alien types however.

Edited by TeriXeri

1 hour ago, TeriXeri said:

It sure has a retro vibe, especially the Enforcer ship type, but still like version 1 and 2 a lot more, I just like the angled designs over more rounded ones, 3 certainly added a whole level with the different Alien types however.

Ya know, I'm surprised we haven't seen a fourth incarnation of Space Police yet. :shrug_confused:

47 minutes ago, Brandon Pea said:

I like the generic space sets that City has.

Technically those subthemes don't count under the context of this topic and the subforum it's under, but last year's Mars Expedition subtheme did kinda come close to qualifying even it is isn't a theme unto itself.

1 hour ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Ya know, I'm surprised we haven't seen a fourth incarnation of Space Police yet. :shrug_confused:

While there have been In-House space sets via Lego Movie 1+2, there haven't been many other opportunities for that really.

I didn't get any Movie 1 sets but I suppose those "Super Secret Police" been the closest to a Sci-Fi Police since.

Later also seen in Ninjago Movie , and Apocalypseburg.

Edited by TeriXeri

Just now, TeriXeri said:

While there have been In-House space sets via Lego Movie 1+2, there haven't been many other opportunities for that really.

I didn't get any Movie 1 sets but I suppose those "Super Secret Police" been the closest to a Sci-Fi Police since.

I feel like just the mere fusion of the two (Police, but in SPACE!) should still be enough of a draw for at least younger audiences (even in spite of Star Wars' prevalence currently). I wouldn't mind if a fourth incarnation was more like 2013's Castle theme, as it'd at least still give us some desirable canopy recolors and useful minifigures.

4 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

I feel like just the mere fusion of the two (Police, but in SPACE!) should still be enough of a draw for at least younger audiences (even in spite of Star Wars' prevalence currently). I wouldn't mind if a fourth incarnation was more like 2013's Castle theme, as it'd at least still give us some desirable canopy recolors and useful minifigures.

I'd certainly love a 4th official Space Police wave.

There are so many new parts these days to get interesting wing shapes, even a sharper angled design could be original using newer wedge and triangle parts.

Even something using this color scheme would work for me, Trans-Bright-Green is an interesting color not used much for Space Canopies (mainly Atlantis / Hero Factory / Nexo 2018)

72003-1.jpg?201711100623

Also getting such current Canopy shapes in new colors would be nice. 

Or a modernized re-release of

250x250p.jpg?1579484233.9986978

Edited by TeriXeri

4 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

but last year's Mars Expedition subtheme did kinda come close to qualifying even it is isn't a theme unto itself.

Those are the ones I was mainly referring to. I think those are probably the best space sets to be released. Though the ones in 2011 and 2015 were awesome too! 

Edited by Brandon Pea

5 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

Even something using this color scheme would work for me, Trans-Bright-Green is an interesting color not used much for Space Canopies (mainly Atlantis / Hero Factory / Nexo 2018)

Between SPI and SPII, I've always been fonder of the first's color scheme, so the kinda throwback color scheme I'd like to see from a fourth incarnation would probably be something like Dark Azure & Dark Bluish Grey (a lightning of SPI's Black & Blue) paired with Trans-Red.

9 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Between SPI and SPII, I've always been fonder of the first's color scheme, so the kinda throwback color scheme I'd like to see from a fourth incarnation would probably be something like Dark Azure & Dark Bluish Grey (a lightning of SPI's Black & Blue) paired with Trans-Red.

I've always viewed the different Space Police incarnations as being different precincts in the same Space :laugh:.  SPI had to deal with mostly Blacktron in their area whereas SPIII had to deal mostly with the Black Hole Gang, though they all had the same jurisdiction.  Their different colors, uniforms, and vehicles were just a reflection of which precinct the space police were from.  I know, this is head-canon type stuff, but it has always made me wish that instead of another Space Police, they would come out with a Space S.W.A.T..

2 hours ago, pombe said:

I know, this is head-canon type stuff, but it has always made me wish that instead of another Space Police, they would come out with a Space S.W.A.T.

I myself have always thought a Space Agents* theme would be cool to see for a change... :shrug_oh_well:

That is to say, Space Police meets Alpha Team/Agents/Ultra Agents.

Mars Mission, Space Police 3, Alien Conquest, or Galaxy Squad?  I voted for Alien Conquest.  Mars Mission has an ugly color scheme and ugly faceless aliens, and there isn't a single really sleek spaceship in the lot.  Space Police 3 has a nice color scheme, a fantastically capable flagship that still looks pretty good, and a rogues' gallery of alien villains that has a lot of personality.  However, it loses some points with me because the single-seat police cruiser with jail cell doesn't have an opening cockpit.  Galaxy Squad has some really neat bug aliens and very well-designed space soldiers: colorful and tough, with just the right amount of detail.  The bug vehicles all look stunning and have impressive functions, and the single-seat starfighter for the humans is sleek, swooshable, and packed with functions.  The other human vehicles are kind of chaotic, though, and sacrifice more form to function than I prefer - although they're nowhere near as bad in that respect as the Mars Mission vehicles.  Alien Conquest similarly has a fun '50s B-movie style with some neat functions in the alien ships (and a Martian tripod!), but what really sets it apart from the others for me is the Vic Viper that comes with the Earth Defense HQ.  It's just such a perfect swooshable little spaceship.

17 hours ago, pombe said:

I know, this is head-canon type stuff, but it has always made me wish that instead of another Space Police, they would come out with a Space S.W.A.T..

This does feel like a LEGO S.W.A.T. type set for sure.

https://brickset.com/sets/70815-1/Super-Secret-Police-Dropship

Seeing something like that in a Space Police / S.W.A.T type setting could be nice.

70815-1.jpg?201402170929

Edited by TeriXeri

I also thought space police was pretty cool.

Tbh I wouldn't mind if they revived that under City as the police wave for 2021. Having a plot twist for City that Vito from City Adventures is actually an alien from outer space? So much fun!

I think my favorite might have to be Galaxy Squad.

There's a few things about Galaxy Squad I don't like. It's based completely on war for one. Also it uses clear windscreens instead of fun transparent colors. And there's really nothing to connect it to older Space themes.

However it had one thing no other modern space theme has: a setting in deep space. This is not on Mars or in low Earth Orbit. You can make up whatever new worlds you want!

It also had really amazing designs; in particular: COMBINERS. I love the combiner gimmick! Galaxy Squad had a few of these:

70704_alt1.jpg

70705_alt1.jpg

On the other hand Mars Mission had some great designs too!

7649-1.jpg?200805090315

SP3 had a great color scheme. I really liked their HQ!

5985-1.jpg?201005151208

If i could have voted for LEGO Movie's super secret police, I would have. But, instead, I went with Space Police 3, as it inspired me (along with LEGO Movie 1) to create my own theme: Space Police IV, complete with it's own HQ and backstory, as seen in this linked thread.

36480811301_301fb0bff8_z.jpg

The Super Secret police drop-ship and Bad Cop's space car seemed just Orwellian enough to make it fit into my Space Police-gone-bad backstory. (I've tried to to tie the rise of the corrupt and anti-alien SPIV with the fall of the Black Hole Gang and the clandestine infiltration of the outer fringes of the galaxy with Blacktron 3 in multiple threads.)

Edited by Murdoch17