Mister Phes

Is this the first photo of the upcoming LEGO Creator 31109 Pirate Ship?

Is this photo real deal?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Is this photo real deal?

• Yes, this is the upcoming set
    • No, it's a fake!

There has been some discussion about this in the Future Pirates Speculation Topic.

But is this alleged leaked image real or fake?

image.png

From the Future Pirates Speculation topic:

On 2/1/2020 at 11:47 PM, Robin_IV said:

New (and old) Infos about the 31109 Creator Pirate ship:

Original Text in German here on stonewars.de

• The pirate ship will be around 45 cm long (10 cm shorter than Destiny's Bounty 70618)
  • Price tag: 99,99€
  • All brick-built, including sails
  • The sail was build out of memory. The Skull is improvised. It should look different like the original sail. But it should give a direction.
  • A colourful figurehead in the form of a mermaid
  • A brick-built shark
  • Several Classic Pirate Minifigs
  • B,C-Models: Pirate Tavern and Pirate Island

lego-creator-31109-segel-entwurf.jpg

Please note all information in this topic is considered speculative and nothing is official or fact until the LEGO Group announce it.

Looks like a draft to me. The pixels looks like studs on the sails or they use plates as sails?:grin:

One more thing, 3 in 1 means got 3 alternative build for this? I wonder what’s the other two. 

Just now, kaelthas said:

Looks like a draft to me. The pixels looks like studs on the sails or they use plates as sails?:grin:

Apparently it does indeed have plates / brick built sails.

Are you going to review this one when it's released? :pir-classic:

Just now, Mister Phes said:

Apparently it does indeed have plates / brick built sails.

Are you going to review this one when it's released? :pir-classic:

Hehe depends on when I’ll be getting the set. It looks quite big and might be a bit costly. But I will if I have the chance to own it. I still have a few sets pending review. :laugh:

It is a strange picture indeed.

We discussed about it with some of the Pirate team in BOBS (particularly through Whatsapp in private) and it seems there will be a ship in the Creator theme inpired from the last Brickbeard Bounty.

But, my opinion is mitigate because of some "strangeness" I found: 

- First : Why so pixelised ! If you take a pic of a leak, you don't pixelise it ! So A point for a fake...

- Two : The skull symbol on the front mast sail : if it's a brickbuilt sail, it is a good quality symbol ! I doubt we can have such a good symbol on a brickbuild sail.

There are usually no stickers in Creator, so is it a cloth sail ? It seems it's not the concept of this ship. so another point for a fake...

- Three : the price range is to be close to 100€, at least. A heavy price for a 3 in 1 creator; we've got rarely 3 in 1 at this price. We already had for exemple, the Pirate Roller coaster at this range of price but it wasn't a 3 in 1; so it's making me doubt of the picture.

We will see, but if it's a leak, it's not a good one.

It is probably to be taken with care a the moment. There will be a future "Pirate ship" under this reference, but it's not sure it will be like this picture.

35 minutes ago, kaelthas said:

Hehe depends on when I’ll be getting the set. It looks quite big and might be a bit costly. But I will if I have the chance to own it. I still have a few sets pending review. :laugh:

@kaelthas You can take a look in the Future Pirate Speculation Topic. :pir-grin:

There are several infos about this set beginning on page 25. Date something around January 25th 2020. It will cost 100$. Second and third build will be Isle and a Tavern..

About @Faladrin's points I just can say that I took my infos from people I trust and who where on the Nürnberger Spielwarenmesse. They saw images of  the ship in the Lego showroom and they sat together with other fair visitors to sum up all infos and they even reconstructed a sail like the real one could look. 

https://www.stonewars.de/news/lego-creator-sommer-2020/

https://zusammengebaut.com/lego-top-10-das-sind-die-besten-sommer-2020-sets-technic-creator-architecture-city-und-friends-87205/

The guys from StoneWars.de and Zusammengebaut.com are highly respected news blogs in the AFOL community in Germany and they kept most of the time correct even with vague early leaks where they said themself that it is unsure at this point. 

Edit: Nonetheless I want to mention that I am not saying that everything what we know until now is true. There is always a possibility that the truth is completely different. And about the people who where on the toy fair I would say that sometimes a human being tends to see what he wants to see. :)

Leaks and speculations are a form of describing, collecting together infos and simmer about/onto a certain topic/set Imao. :classic: It's a glimmer of hope we have and try to keep alive that it will be a good set and with a little luck involved a start of a new Pirate Era. AAARRRRRR!! :pir-grin::pir-classic:

Edited by Robin_IV

3 hours ago, Faladrin said:

- Three : the price range is to be close to 100€, at least. A heavy price for a 3 in 1 creator; we've got rarely 3 in 1 at this price. We already had for exemple, the Pirate Roller coaster at this range of price but it wasn't a 3 in 1; so it's making me doubt of the picture.

Pirate Roller Coaster was a 3-in-1 , at a lower price range as well around ~€80-85.

tn_31084_alt4_jpg.jpg

Edited by TeriXeri

On 2/7/2020 at 3:42 AM, Faladrin said:

First : Why so pixelised ! If you take a pic of a leak, you don't pixelise it ! So A point for a fake...

I do have a less pixelised photo of the set...  I just posted the current photo in case it is the actual set - the LEGO Group doesn't appreciate fansites posting high quality images of upcoming sets which haven't don't have official publicity photos .

On 2/7/2020 at 2:53 AM, kaelthas said:

One more thing, 3 in 1 means got 3 alternative build for this? I wonder what’s the other two. 

The alternate builds are usually displayed on the box too.  So unless this is a draft like you say, whoever faked the box art forgot to incorporate the other two builds.

On 2/7/2020 at 3:44 AM, Robin_IV said:

@kaelthas You can take a look in the Future Pirate Speculation Topic. 

Well, the point of this topic is so people don't have to dig through 25 pages to get to the relevant information.  :pir_laugh2:

But thank you for pointing out your helpful post in the speculation topic.

15 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

Pirate Roller Coaster was a 3-in-1 , at a lower price range as well around ~€80-85.

tn_31084_alt4_jpg.jpg

Oh yes tha,k you ! I totally forgot it was a 3 in 1 ! My bad... *huh*

11 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

I do have a less pixelised photo of the set...  I just posted the current photo in case it is  the actual set - the LEGO Group doesn't appreciate fansites posting high quality photos of leaks.

The alternate builds are usually displayed on the box too.  So unless this is a draft like you say, whoever faked the box art forgot to incorporate the other two builds.

Well, the point of this topic is so people don't have to dig through 25 pages to get to the relevant information.  :pir_laugh2:

But thank you for pointing out your helpful post in the speculation topic.

I understand TLG doesn't appreciate early leak. But it's strange to pixelise the picture... But well why not ?

So it seems finally this picture could be a view of the set then. OK I can admit it now.

Thank you guy for the clarifications !

2 hours ago, Faladrin said:

But it's strange to pixelise the picture... But well why not ?

I didn't pixelate the image myself, that's how I found it...  but pixelation has long been used to obscure images or video which contain sensitive or inappropriate content.

I also think that leak images are prone to just take a sneak view or reveal a little detail about something without reveal all details at once. Also leaking is dangerous. If you post a sharp 4k image of the Box front fresh rolled from the assembly line the company would more likely investigate and prevent further infringements like this. But if you pixelise it its less dangerous for you as a whistleblower and the company will more likely allow tacitly this abuse. This all will get a problem when other rivals try to make counterfeit products and release them before your release date. This leak could be seen then as a corporate espionage and that is a crime. 

This is quite an interesting sail build. So it is all brick built so that we won't leave the sail hanging around if we are to build the B and C model. Now it makes sense. 

On 2/8/2020 at 5:08 AM, Robin_IV said:

But if you pixelise it its less dangerous for you as a whistleblower and the company will more likely allow tacitly this abuse. [...]. This leak could be seen then as a corporate espionage and that is a crime. 

There has been a long history of AFOL sites leaking unreleased set images and Eurobricks was notorious for this back in the mid 2000's.  The LEGO Group made practice of uploading high resolution images to their caching site so AFOLs would guess the file names of  unreleased sets.  Then staff would post the images on the Eurobricks frontpage which helped to rapidly grow the forum but the LEGO Group became quite agitated and issued warnings.

However, the words "corporate espionage" were never used :pir-laugh:  -  "Intellectual property infringement" at best.

Actually, maybe I shouldn't laugh, you may have a legal background and be more informed than I.

If this is 45 cm long, it's barely shorter then the 2015 Brick Bounty (48 cm)

Also seems to use red at the rear cabin section.

There's this line that seems to run from the back to the back mast to the front mast, wonder if that's connected to the (brick built) sail at all or just decoration.

Edited by TeriXeri

16 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

However, the words "corporate espionage" were never used :pir-laugh:  -  "Intellectual property infringement" at best.

It was more referred on general leaks not especially TLG. With the corporate espionage I meant staff or somebody else giving those leaks to other companies (~make the info public) like Lepin. But I did exaggerate once again as it seems. :pir-laugh:

I do have a legal backround at least for the EU. But it's the law of Germany. So it's in German... In §4 is the important info. Arguable would be, if set infos before release do count as business secrets according to article §2...:shrug_oh_well:

20 hours ago, Jevil said:

Lots of pics from the Toy Fair are dropping!

Where are they dropping?

Or more importantly, why aren't they dropping in this forum? :pir-oh3:

13 minutes ago, Mister Phes said:

Where are they dropping?

Or more importantly, why aren't they dropping in this forum? :pir-oh3:

Minions, cmf20 and a star wars droid. Still no sign of the ship..

Probably won't see pictures till at least April, if last year is similar.

City / Creator pictures came out 3rd week of April in 2019.

Edited by TeriXeri