Mister Phes

Is this the first photo of the upcoming LEGO Creator 31109 Pirate Ship?

Is this photo real deal?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Is this photo real deal?

• Yes, this is the upcoming set
    • No, it's a fake!

Local shops finally got the new creator sets and of course the price in my country is exorbitant compared to everywhere else.

But then I remembered I could order from the neighboring country since the shipping is not too bad.

I've looked at 31107 and 31108 and the price is decent but 31109 is sold out already?! Either the pirate theme is ready for a comeback or somebody really, and I mean REALLY liked that set.

Edited by Merlo
typo

I have literally just finished building the ship.

Overall I like it. My observations...

• The buildable sails don't stand out as much to me as I thought they would, the skull looks great. The side-ways facing sails only look good from 1 side, naturally.
  • The middle interior is small but you can technically fit 4 cannons inside there (so long as you don't want minifigs behind them or to move between them).
  • The flexi elements that they use as rope don't quite look as good as actual string but it's so much easier that I'm happy with it. You even get a spare.
  • The captains cabin is the only detailed interior that you get but you can fit a couple of minifigs in there easily (and 3 in a squeeze). Your big-fig human hand though, may struggle.
  • I really like the new captain torso but I do wish that the other 2 crewmates were a little more unique.

Another small note is that you get a rather large manual that covers both the Ship and Port House builds. The Skull Island build has it's own smaller manual. Also, I was either missing 1 reddish brown barrel or the instructions are incorrect and you're only supposed to have 1. I feel like it may be the latter.

I'm glad that I purchased it. I will only buy a 2nd copy if I can get it on sale, just for the port house build.

Edited by leafan
clarity

I really like the new captain torso as well but I do also wish that the other two crewmates were more unique too

My set finally arrived 2 days ago and the first build I made was naturally the ship.

The final result is not as bad as I feared ... i quite like the brick built hull, the detailing around the captain’s cabin and the fact that there is a real gun deck (in contrast to 21322). I haven’t made up my mind whether I like the brick sails. Finally this design does offer many opportunities for modding so that will be my Long term project :wink:

The one thing that bothered me most was the sloping poop deck. Initially I thought I did something wrong but realised this was not the case when I looked at other pics online. Here’s a close up. This slope really looks weird and I want to fix it at some stage.

2683D009-B297-43EC-99C8-61AE9467A7B6.jpeg

Haven't bought this set yet. I'm going to wait for an offer and hopefully get it for around £70 instead of £90. The brick built sails actually don't bother me in the slightest. I actually think they look pretty cool. And I really like the brick build hull too. The things that bother me the most are: the lack of door on the Captain's cabin - I mean, what the heck? And that God-awful mermaid on the front. Some of the rigging looks a little off too. 

15 hours ago, Totoro said:

Haven't bought this set yet. I'm going to wait for an offer and hopefully get it for around £70 instead of £90. The brick built sails actually don't bother me in the slightest. I actually think they look pretty cool. And I really like the brick build hull too. The things that bother me the most are: the lack of door on the Captain's cabin - I mean, what the heck? And that God-awful mermaid on the front. Some of the rigging looks a little off too. 

How sure are you that this set will ever be on sale?

Is this a general trend with LEGO set such as this?

On 6/9/2020 at 11:02 AM, Totoro said:

Queen Anne's Revenge from 2011 was also lacking some doors, but on this one maybe it's because they want to use as many small elements as possible.

On 5/20/2020 at 10:50 PM, astral brick said:

Is it possible that I kind of like more this set than the Barracuda Bay one?

I totally agree. There's something missing for me on that Barracuda Bay ship... Obviously the best is the original, but I love this new Creator set, think its the best Lego set this year.

On 6/10/2020 at 1:26 AM, Brickander Brickumnus said:

Of course I don't know anything about the stores and prices in Greece, but 100€ sets (indoor themes or even licensed ones) have good discounts at least 1-2 months before Christmas, if you care to wait that long. I suspect that the Creator ship will share the same fate, at least I'm waiting for some time...

On 6/10/2020 at 1:26 AM, Brickander Brickumnus said:

Sets that aren't LEGO exclusive, tend to go on sale relatively fast.

I see this set already listed at €87 on local online retailers in my country, but I'm certain it'll drop more in the next months.

More then 30% off for Creator 3-in-1 sets isn't unusual here.

Of course situations could be different per country

Edited by TeriXeri

Not a fan of the brick-built sails and the steering wheel. And only tree minifigures is a bit on the short side. But... there's something about her that pulls me in. It's nice to have a ship that is a bit smaller, like the 6271 (another favorite of mine). And this set is great for fooling around with the pieces to come up with something interesting. It's a good "starter-kit" for MOCs. The alternative builds are great! I don't think we'll get any Pirates sets in a long time from now, so I think we should be grateful for what we've got. Thank you once again, LEGO!

Edited by AViewToALego

I really like how the set turned out, bought 2 sets and combined into an 8 gun full-rigged-ship. I started a topic on the MOC subforum.

49995186266_6aea7edd03_c.jpgSide Front View by R Y, on Flickr

Edited by Wurger49

+I love the size of the ship. In my mind Lego ships should be proportional to Lego bases and with that in mind even this ship is too big

+the shaping of the ship

+brick built hull is so much cooler than the huge prefabs

+the same goes for the shark

+that ninjago color scheme

+brick-built sales look worse but feel more Lego :)

My main complaint is the same with a lot of Lego sets. The colors are off or, more precisely, there's either too many of them or they're composed in a somewhat competent way that still falls short, just like in the pirate bay idea vs pirate bay set, where they went from "this is too brown" to "this is a bit too much" but here it's worse.

The tan plates are in my mind the biggest offender. That's why I find the ship most beautiful from the side, where only the bottom plate is ruining the impression. The back view would profit hugely by replacing those tan plates.

The deck is too bright, there's also gray, dark gray, black, brown, and a couple more colors in there I can't even name, it's just too much.

The cannon covers don't go all the way and leave a hole if not filled. The construction has several other places where there are just holes in the hull visible.

That red and gold colorful ornament thingy on the side just raises suddenly and looking at it feels like someone has punched me straight in the eye and it's not much better where the black and brown colors meet on the side of the ship with a terribly blocky transition.

Side windows have too much coloring and it's asymmetrical as well, it just looks wrong, just like the wall next to the non-existent cabin door. Those little splashes of red and gold at the end of the ship in the side view look like mistakes as well.

There are a lot of things like these that look like they should belong on the C model.

I find both the simple Lego models of old and the crazy detailed MOC's beautiful. The only thing that bothers me is the Lego in-between approach that tries to evoke detailing but fails, sacrificing the clean look and never achieving what it tried to.

I believe that with a relatively simple intervention, this ship would be stunning. It actually feels like it just might have been to start with but compromises had to be made. Anyone up for recoloring it, like it was done multiple times with the new BSB? :)

Edited by Merlo

So will anyone try to swap out the sails for fabric?  I want this set, but at the same thing I feel that I will only buy it not as a pirate ship combo but for the pirate lodge/housing, the ship kind of feels off with everything being in brick form but at the same time it feels like a 100% lego brick ship with no pre made parts...  huh, I’m split on this one, i feel that with the right mods, it’s possible to tweak this ship something more conform with the brick bounty and the barracuda bay set!!!  

My goal would be of course the sails, the mast, maybe adding a door and finally the wheel IMHO

Edited by eldiano

22 hours ago, eldiano said:

So will anyone try to swap out the sails for fabric?  I want this set, but at the same thing I feel that I will only buy it not as a pirate ship combo but for the pirate lodge/housing, the ship kind of feels off with everything being in brick form but at the same time it feels like a 100% lego brick ship with no pre made parts...  huh, I’m split on this one, i feel that with the right mods, it’s possible to tweak this ship something more conform with the brick bounty and the barracuda bay set!!! 

Yes, I see where you're coming from. The thing is, we're so used to the prefab hull pieces that we're sorta confused when TLG choose another direction. It boils down to nostalgia. For example, everytime I see the blue fore/aft hullpieces on my Armada Flagship, it bring back so many memories of the early innocent years of childhood. So everytime they come up with a revamped 6x4 flag or new sails or different colored epaulettes or what have you, it's an instant win for me.

I managed to pick one these up here in Australia and I love it! This is also my first LEGO kit I’m close to 25 years!! Since my heart 5 year old has gotten into LEGO over the last six months and helping him with some builds I guess you could say it’s reignited my inner child! Never being able to afford a pirate ship as a kid I was still lucky enough to have a raft and a few other pirate kits but hey now I’m an adult and can afford a pirate ship I grabbed this one! I’m also looking to get the Ideas set once it is back in stock in Australia as the Barracuda is on the bucket list.

I really enjoyed the build of this ship and love how it turned out.

I’ve ordered some additional cannons for it so I can have them pointing out on both sides and some other bits like a small ladder to get to the lower deck and also added some additional “accessories” we found at my parents place when looking for more LEGO for my son including some of the gold coins that used to come in the kits.

Funnily enough I also found my old Raft Raiders (6261) which was complete as well as a few more chests, lots of swords and a parrot. Either way I’m using some of this to dress up the details some more.

The sails look fine and displayed on the shelf the whole model looks great. I’m still keen to get myself the Ideas barracuda set next but I am still super happy with my first pirate ship ?

89D11F0E-9C91-4B8D-9BA7-26D43C3BE4A9.jpeg.5e19c8473411e1608b0e170b5100ee4c.jpeg

Some more photos. The sharks looks great too

05A9B053-E31F-4999-8030-71EED2456F77.jpeg.2c0cb0124d6e999a735de41d08c02743.jpeg

67686CC1-A1BE-4C72-A192-55A2AD46AC87.jpeg.89f2e3b6ade043112db2b2389fd2c72b.jpeg

Edited by Jez_AU

On 6/15/2020 at 12:57 AM, AViewToALego said:

Yes, I see where you're coming from. The thing is, we're so used to the prefab hull pieces that we're sorta confused when TLG choose another direction. It boils down to nostalgia. For example, everytime I see the blue fore/aft hullpieces on my Armada Flagship, it bring back so many memories of the early innocent years of childhood. So everytime they come up with a revamped 6x4 flag or new sails or different colored epaulettes or what have you, it's an instant win for me.

The hull, the sails, the rudder and masts, everything, this is the ultimate creator set IMHO and it shows because I feel it had to sacrifice the hulls for the housing/lodge and stand alone set.

I don’t know about you peeps but i have been stocking up on bricks and pieces pirate parts...

I like this one and do not mind the brick-built hull and sails.  I think I prefer it over the Brick Bounty because of the more interesting color scheme.  I hope it comes out in the U.S. soon...

4 hours ago, emporio said:

bought it yesterday for 78 euro, very good price and cant wait to build it

Wow that’s a great price! Where did you buy for 78 euros?