Mister Phes

Is this the first photo of the upcoming LEGO Creator 31109 Pirate Ship?

Is this photo real deal?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Is this photo real deal?

• Yes, this is the upcoming set
    • No, it's a fake!

6 hours ago, Merlo said:

Can you design a compact brickbuilt cannon?

Oh yes - there are many good designs on eurobricks. I use this one:
48997303673_7204bd6821_c.jpg

and this one:
48828501911_1acae4cb16_c.jpg

I don't pictures of the guns separately readily available, but these pictures should give you an idea. I am sure there is a topic somewhere with a lot of examples of cannon mocs, and you can see many interesting takes on shipboard cannon, fortress cannon, and field artillery across the pirate moc forum and the Brethren of the Brick Seas forum.

1 hour ago, Bregir said:

Oh yes - there are many good designs on eurobricks.

I see. Maybe they just didn't want to lose the functionality? Because with sails and animals they're not losing anything and are gaining extra bricks.

Just now, Merlo said:

I see. Maybe they just didn't want to lose the functionality? Because with sails and animals they're not losing anything and are gaining extra bricks.

I understand (and like) the inclusion of functional cannons in sets, but find that in my mocs, they are often too bulky. I sometimes use them for heavy calibre guns, though. :pir-classic:

5 hours ago, Bregir said:

I understand (and like) the inclusion of functional cannons in sets, but find that in my mocs, they are often too bulky. I sometimes use them for heavy calibre guns, though. :pir-classic:

I like to incorporate different cannons with my sets. An example would be 10210 Imperial Flagship, I left the official firing cannons in the gun deck to represent 24lb cannons and I built smaller cannons on the top deck to represent 12lb cannons. 

It's great that in history cannons came in different sizes because it makes it easy to incorporate different sized Lego cannons in sets :pir-laugh:

Just now, Rat Suit Guy said:

Nice review. Thanks!

Definitively a pass for me, for the ship.

Maybe I'll buy it for the other 2 builds.

Edited by Brickander Brickumnus

In the comments on the Brickset review, Huw says this might not be available until August in the USA.  Does anyone have any more information about that?

Saw the images on Brickset and now read the Brothers brick review. Pass also for me. Nice parts and the captain torso looks great but naa, maybe later if I can find it on sale I will buy it for parts and the pirates.

But I am happy the Lego is making Pirate sets, that is a great thing. :pir-laugh:

Edited by Mencot

Neither of the two reviews up have shown off the alternate builds. The ship itself is ok I guess but I'd prefer to see all the builds in a review. At least we have confirmation that there is one new torso in the set although I can't see myself buying it just for that.

i like the ship, think it looks good.  I would be very keen to see a review of the alternate builds, especially the tavern.  The alternates are what will sway me if I pick this set up or not.

On 5/18/2020 at 4:20 PM, Rat Suit Guy said:

It's definitely not something as good as even the 2015 ship but I think that maybe Lego decided to make this because there are many people (including meself) out there that don't want to buy Pirates of Barracuda Bay set for 200 euros or so. While this set doesn't include the bigger ship pieces like hull, it surely is a nice pirate set looking at the fact that we don't get too many of those these days.

This set is going to be PERFECT to get my son into the Pirate theme (he is 5). He can learn building skills with the brick-built everything and it won't break the bank. I'm very much looking forward to the release.

On 5/18/2020 at 3:20 PM, Rat Suit Guy said:

Thanks for the link! The ship is not exactly what I was hoping for, the huge amount of non-brown bricks diminished my enthusiasm slightly. That's always the biggest problem: PaB walls have never brown bricks for sale, so I was really looking forward for this ship. Still, it is a very nice set with interesting building methods and at a reasonable price I'll grab one for sure.

The best way to encourage Lego to make more pirate sets is for you to buy the sets they do make, even if its not 100% what you wanted.

If they don't see enough demand, they won't make more.

1 hour ago, astral brick said:

Is it possible that I kind of like more this set than the Barracuda Bay one?

I mean everyone has a different perspective on what a "good" ship is. So, yes it is possible haha

Personally this set has no comparison to the updated BSB just due to nostalgia and how smooth and realistic the ship looks. I will probably wait to see if the set goes on sale later in it's release. 

I really do not like the ship. I will likely buy it for the tavern to try and help augment the Bay Island parts into something with the ship built.

Is it too late to vote 'fake' on this poll? :pir_laugh2:

I'm going to be buying 2 of these for the different builds. I think I can do without a separate island build so it'll be the ship and port house.

Have instructions been released for this?  I really just want to use it to augment the island from Barricuda bay. If I can get the instructions I can obtain parts elsewhere to do what I need to do.

I really like that they build the body just from bricks, hope to go that direction too.

Saw a few copies of the Creator Pirate ship at a local store today. Thought about it but to be honest if you have any Pirates sets already it’s probably of minimal interest as apart from one new minifig torso there’s not really any exciting piratical pieces to be had. It’s mainly just basic bricks.

The cheap 2015 Juniors set offered a lot more in unique pirate stuff (new torso, map, printed flag and jail cell).

Has anyone bought this set yet? There seems to be a diversity of opinion on this but the proof of the pudding is in the eating, as they say :pir_tong2: