Mister Phes

Is this the first photo of the upcoming LEGO Creator 31109 Pirate Ship?

Is this photo real deal?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Is this photo real deal?

• Yes, this is the upcoming set
    • No, it's a fake!

It'll be a pass from me, even though that alternative build with the mill looks promising. No cloth sails, a colour-scheme terribly similar to past ships release and no new minifigure prints makes it not worth the money for me. But I guess it's decent for those of you who missed both Pirates 2009 and 2015.

I like it! May require certain modifications, but it is a nice medium-sized sailing vessel. And I like the brown hull a lot. Plus you can always remove the Jolly Roger from the sail and make it a merchant vessel or whatever you wish.

Pirate Tavern looks very nice for a Creator set, even the brick-built horse cart is fun.

Skull Island is very creative considering most of those parts come from the "sails".

Certainly almost multiple-set worthy.

Edited by TeriXeri

I fancy the ship without sails as a docked merchant ship, might use the instructions to moc a few similar types. Right now my merchant ships are the hulls of the Imperial and Armarda Flagships, will be nice to have some reddish brown ones :) 

2 hours ago, Seaber said:

I fancy the ship without sails as a docked merchant ship, might use the instructions to moc a few similar types. Right now my merchant ships are the hulls of the Imperial and Armarda Flagships, will be nice to have some reddish brown ones :) 

I was actually thinking of doing something similar.

I'm actually really getting excited for this ship! Say what you want about how it looks similar to 2009 and 2015 because it really does. However, one key difference is how elevated it is in the front of the ship. Change the front mast to only have one sail. And boom:

carrack.jpg

You have yourself a Carrack, first time in Lego history.

When I do buy this I will probably make some custom cloth sails and add it to my Spanish collection. It will fit right in with all the red and gold. Especially love the green stripe on the back, giving me strong vibes of the Armada Flagship. This is a must buy for me :pir-wub:

It's very hard to tell, but I think the captain minifigure might have a new torso print rather than the 2009 Creator one.

2 hours ago, TalonCard said:

It's very hard to tell, but I think the captain minifigure might have a new torso print rather than the 2009 Creator one.

Yeah, looks like somekind of a mix between 2009 creator and 2015 junior pirate captain torso, but the head looks more like 2015 redbeard, but indeed very hard to tell.

17 hours ago, azog said:

I'm actually really getting excited for this ship! Say what you want about how it looks similar to 2009 and 2015 because it really does. However, one key difference is how elevated it is in the front of the ship. Change the front mast to only have one sail. And boom:

carrack.jpg

You have yourself a Carrack, first time in Lego history.

When I do buy this I will probably make some custom cloth sails and add it to my Spanish collection. It will fit right in with all the red and gold. Especially love the green stripe on the back, giving me strong vibes of the Armada Flagship. This is a must buy for me :pir-wub:

Yeah, thanks for that, that makes me like the ship more. And I guess it IS supposed to be a carrack, and perfect for the spaniards. But on the other hand it makes no sense to be a pirateship then, because a carrack is to big and slow. Then again, this one isn't quite big...  :parrot:  So maybe no carrack... ahh whatever... I also might buy it, as a vessel for Francisco Pizarro to sail to Peru and meet the Incas, and if I don't like it, there is still a nice mill or island to build. :pir-huzzah2:
pizarro2.jpg.04c4b48aa709e1d80e239cfdda6aa8b7.jpg

Edited by victorycount

It's going to take some work to turn this into a reasonable facsimile of a carrack, but it's not impossible. Plus, I think a lot of us are going to be doing significant reworking here regardless simply out of a distaste for brick-built sails.

4 hours ago, Corydoras said:

A carrack has three masts whereas this one has only two.

It would actually be really easy to add another mast in the back! It would go behind the wheel anyways, and because it's creator it's not using pre-formed mast pieces. So you can just build a small mast and spar out of normal parts!

I will admit though it's not exactly a Carrack but Lego rarely makes accurate ships anyways. So this is definitely the closest thing were going to get. It's like how every ship is a galleon except for the Imperial Flagship (10210) which we have to assume is a ship of the line. Even though it doesn't really look like one haha

17 minutes ago, azog said:

It would actually be really easy to add another mast in the back! It would go behind the wheel anyways, and because it's creator it's not using pre-formed mast pieces. So you can just build a small mast and spar out of normal parts!

I will admit though it's not exactly a Carrack but Lego rarely makes accurate ships anyways. So this is definitely the closest thing were going to get. It's like how every ship is a galleon except for the Imperial Flagship (10210) which we have to assume is a ship of the line. Even though it doesn't really look like one haha

You'll have to move the main mast forward and heighten it (or shorten the foremast - possibly both). 

None of these tasks are exactly rocket science. For a more advanced project, heigtening the stern and forecastles would also go a long way to creating a carrack.

Not a fan of the brick-built sails, but I will source the proper sails somewhere or make them myself. It's not worth missing out on such an awesome ship and also the alternative builds make me want to buy at least 2 of these sets.

This set looks amazing! Pirates fans must be overjoyed this year.

I can't believe how good all three builds are. The pirate tavern is genius, and the skull island makes great use of the sail pieces.

I realize the brick-built hull and sails are a big change from traditional LEGO Pirate ships and totally get how that could be off-putting to fans of the old Pirates sets. Hopefully Pirates fans can enjoy this set for what it is, even if it can never replace the original sets.

Funny that this set has the crow's nest piece which is missing from the Ideas Barracuda Bay set. And neither of them use the mast piece, although that piece is in an upcoming Monkey Kid set. I guess the Creator set doesn't use the mast piece because it's not usable in all three builds.

I've always found it funny that the crows nest piece has been around since 1989, but it was never used in a ship set until 2015.

Edited by TalonCard

3 hours ago, TalonCard said:

I've always found it funny that the crows nest piece has been around since 1989, but it was never used in a ship set until 2015.

Same here.

the ship looks fantastic, in particular the brick built sails.  will go nicely alongside the Pirates of Barracuda bay, love both the Ship and Tavern builds which would be very tempting for me to purchase two of these sets.  Thinking the Tavern might look well on the island you get with the Barracuda Bay set, with maybe some slight alterations.

Perhaps if these sets are successful we will see more pirates theme sets in the next couple of years, it brings me right back to my childhood.  Just hope they bring in some Imperial ships /sets, gotta have someone for the pirates to fight.

On 4/26/2020 at 7:27 PM, TalonCard said:

That is not quite accurate. :pir-classic: The Durmstrang Ship released in 2005 had 3 of them in light blue. Skeleton Ship Attack from 2007 had one in brown and the Troll Warship released in 2008 had two. In all these sets they functioned AS crow's nests. :pir_laugh2:

1 hour ago, Dreamweb said:

That is not quite accurate. :pir-classic:

What! :pir-oh3:  You mean the encyclopedia of LEGO knowledge got a detail wrong!

:pir_tong2:

You're right! There's 2013's Sea Cow too, and I guess technically the SpongeBob Flying Dutchman. :pir_laugh2: I was thinking only about ships in the Pirate theme; I overlooked the other ones. Still a long time to go without using the piece on a ship.

Edited by TalonCard