KotZ

LEGO Masters US Show

On 4/15/2020 at 8:31 PM, Kit Figsto said:

On the topic of the last episode, wow!  Definitely the strongest builds yet!

23 hours ago, Paradosis said:

I didn't realise I could be watching this on Hulu shortly after it aired each week, but when I found out a couple days ago I decided to binge it in time for the finale. That part went well. What didn't go well was that, 15 minutes after the finale ended but before I had had a chance to watch it, someone spoiled me as to the results. Sigh. 

Overall I enjoyed the show, though I had the same problems that others have already brought up. I don't have cable anymore, but when I did I generally stuck to reality tv shows where something was created--Top Chef, Project Runway, etc.--and this fell pretty much in line with what I saw on those types of shows, where there's still quite a bit of time given to getting to know people. I don't have a problem with that, but there still needs to be adequate time for appreciating/evaluating the final creation, and many times with this show I thought it fell short with that. Besides the time issue there was also just the issue of how the final forms of the creations were presented. An animated version of the MOC "come to life" was usually fun, and there were those flashier moving shots, but I also wanted to see some more static shots lingering on parts of the build, zoomed in shots, etc. I guess that wouldn't exactly make for scintillating tv and would only appeal to a small group of people.   

The humor was very spotty for me; I thought the self-deprecating jokes by Will worked best, and the meta-jokes that poked fun at reality tv worked second best. The thing I literally laughed out loud at was when Sam said "I feel like you don't understand Lego."

As for the finale...

Glad you guys liked it. Comparing the US version to Australia, I belive Australia actually had full hour long episodes or close to it instead of 42~ minute because of American commercials, and that allowed them to show more of building.

21 hours ago, BlueberryWaffles said:

So my thoughts on the finale...

Spoiler

Reveal hidden contents

Everyone will have their own opinions, but I do not agree with the final judging. I would have ranked Tyler and Amy's griffin build third, Sam and Jessica's peacock second, and Mark and Boone's Artopia building would have been the winner. While the griffin and snake were great builds, I thought the rest of the scene didn't stand up to the detail presented in the others.

Excited for season two!

8 hours ago, meliander said:

Overall the show was pretty good, and I don't mind the drama and the host with jokes and stuff. But I felt that they could show us less of contestants running back and forth to the brick walls and showing more of how they actually build their models and, as Paradosis mentioned, give more time to appreciate the final builds (especially those that are not giant sculptures).

I think on one of the websites they have more stills and videos of final models. Since I was there on set I was able to get a good look at each one, and they definitely stand out better in person.

Wow.  That finale.

Spoiler

I can't even imagine how grueling it was to have a 24 hour build challenge.

That peacock and monkey were incredible.  They even had the whole set up with a sewing machine.  Sam and Jessica really brought their A game.  If they had won, I would have accepted it.

That griffin.  Wow.  It wasn't just wings that flapped at one point at the base of each wing, it was an undulating motion across the whole wing, including the tips.  And that landscaping.  Fantastic.

Artopia was awesome, too, with the interactive feature of the paintbrush spinning the walls.  However, as soon as Mark and Boone showed their concept, I knew they wouldn't win.  It was just too boring of a concept idea, no matter how well executed.  It's too bad, since they are incredible MOCers.

I'm sad it's over.  I'm now looking for the contestants on YouTube to see what they've been up to.  I just found out that Richard and Flynn are relatively local to me and have started a weekly livestream, which is really cool (too bad it's during the day when I work).  I hope I get a chance to say hi to them at a local LEGO event some day.

I guess it's time to wait for season 2.  @KotZ will you be working on that, as well?

On 4/9/2020 at 3:52 PM, KotZ said:

And I got some cool pics with R2-D2 and BB-8, so I'm happy.

My question about that is, was that actually Anthony Daniels in the C-3PO suit (when he was on the show)? 

On 4/17/2020 at 1:21 PM, pombe said:

Wow.  That finale.

Reveal hidden contents

I can't even imagine how grueling it was to have a 24 hour build challenge.

That peacock and monkey were incredible.  They even had the whole set up with a sewing machine.  Sam and Jessica really brought their A game.  If they had won, I would have accepted it.

That griffin.  Wow.  It wasn't just wings that flapped at one point at the base of each wing, it was an undulating motion across the whole wing, including the tips.  And that landscaping.  Fantastic.

Artopia was awesome, too, with the interactive feature of the paintbrush spinning the walls.  However, as soon as Mark and Boone showed their concept, I knew they wouldn't win.  It was just too boring of a concept idea, no matter how well executed.  It's too bad, since they are incredible MOCers.

I'm sad it's over.  I'm now looking for the contestants on YouTube to see what they've been up to.  I just found out that Richard and Flynn are relatively local to me and have started a weekly livestream, which is really cool (too bad it's during the day when I work).  I hope I get a chance to say hi to them at a local LEGO event some day.

I guess it's time to wait for season 2.  @KotZ will you be working on that, as well? 

I can definitely see how it went, as well as other combinations (keeping vague for those that haven't seen the episode yet)

Spoiler

For me, it was the articulated wings that helped seal the deal. not that the others builds weren't good or didn't have details, but the wings were just so elegant using Powerd Up motors (which are kinda challenging). For Artopia, I think it was because it was still too similar to builds from them we had seen before. I loved the minifigure stories interspersed throughout (T&A's had some as well that weren't highlighted) but the overall was similar. Not saying it was bad, quite the opposite.

Taking this comment out of spoiler, but if we get a season 2, I do hope I get asked back. I had done some preliminary stuff during season 1 that would help for a possible S2 (all shows do this to prepare for possible renewal, please don't kill me anyone if we do or don't get S2), and I got close to higher ups on that show and previous (although LinkedIn and other job sites are probably better to explain what everything:grin:). I was told by immediate bosses they'd bring me back, so hopefully we get another season so I can show more LEGO skills and work-related skills, but it's life. Definitely been a fun moment of my career if we don't go forward, and if we do, then I'm excited to see where we go.

5 hours ago, samurai-turtle said:

My question about that is, was that actually Anthony Daniels in the C-3PO suit (when he was on the show)? 

What are you talking about? Who's Anthony Daniels? We had C-3PO on set.:vader:

On 4/19/2020 at 9:15 PM, KotZ said:

What are you talking about? Who's Anthony Daniels? We had C-3PO on set.:vader:

You know, if you don't know the answer, it would be better to say so, than give this half @$$ response. :pir-hmpf_bad: :cry2: And just in case someone doesn't know who Anthony Daniels is he is the original actor inside the C-3PO suit from the Star Wars movies. And @KotZ I really don't expect a response to this, I am just going to assume you don't know and / or didn't meet "any" C-3PO on the set of the show. And I am going to say "Good day to you Sir!" 

20 hours ago, samurai-turtle said:

You know, if you don't know the answer, it would be better to say so, than give this half @$$ response. :pir-hmpf_bad: :cry2: And just in case someone doesn't know who Anthony Daniels is he is the original actor inside the C-3PO suit from the Star Wars movies. And @KotZ I really don't expect a response to this, I am just going to assume you don't know and / or didn't meet "any" C-3PO on the set of the show. And I am going to say "Good day to you Sir!" 

Think of it like meeting a Disney princess.

So Season 2 had its premiere tonight. I thought I'd give my thoughts and such that I can regarding the show. I was upped in positionm due to work, etc. from last year. So there'sless I can joke about, but I'll gladly say this episode was fun. The motorcyle is a modified version I made for the show, so there is one MOC.

I quite enjoyed the Season 2 premiere. There are definitely a lot of talented teams this time around, and now that we're a season in, the contestants, host, and judges all feel a bit more at ease with what their roles in the show should be. I think I might need a couple more episodes before I can pick a team to root for this time, though.

Spoilers for those across the pond who haven't gotten to see it yet...

Spoiler

The way some of the teams did in the first round (particularly the motion requirement) surprised me a bit. I had expected Jack and Dawn to maybe have a bit more mechanical skill for a simple function like flapping wings on a butterfly, given their stated passion for motorcycles. By contrast, I was a little worried for Zack and Wayne when they described their plans for a build with two moving dragons (a highly complex type of motion to try to engineer) but they absolutely knocked it out of the park.

On 6/4/2021 at 9:52 AM, Darkdragon said:

@KotZ Did you make the brick box for the golden brick?

Nope. They asked me too but I didn't have time, so our art team did it. Luckily we had like two other people who build on art because otherwise I'd probably have a mental breakdown with how much that needed to be built. I'll call out anything that's one of my builds, which is still a decent amount.

On 6/5/2021 at 11:27 AM, Lyichir said:

I quite enjoyed the Season 2 premiere. There are definitely a lot of talented teams this time around, and now that we're a season in, the contestants, host, and judges all feel a bit more at ease with what their roles in the show should be. I think I might need a couple more episodes before I can pick a team to root for this time, though.

Spoilers for those across the pond who haven't gotten to see it yet...

Reveal hidden contents

The way some of the teams did in the first round (particularly the motion requirement) surprised me a bit. I had expected Jack and Dawn to maybe have a bit more mechanical skill for a simple function like flapping wings on a butterfly, given their stated passion for motorcycles. By contrast, I was a little worried for Zack and Wayne when they described their plans for a build with two moving dragons (a highly complex type of motion to try to engineer) but they absolutely knocked it out of the park.

Definitely the host and judges are way more comfortable with what they're doing. As for this episode, I ran the beauties of the builds so I got to see a lot of fun technic stuff on how things work, something I myself am not that great with but got better with this season.

So most recent episode was a few days ago. No new builds from me this episode, but the detonator from last season made a return. Honestly that thing will continue until the show is canceled I'm guessing. I was too busy with prepping the next episode and budget stuff.

Spoiler

As for the builds, I've seen a lot of people online hate on Randall and Syreeta's build. The explosion was lackluster as a viewer, but I loved their curved wall, and honestly, I don't know if they were going for it or not, but the yellow castle reminded me of the original yellow castle, but like an updated version of it.

Next episode is one of my favorites from this season (even if I wanted to pull my hair out because of it) for various reasons.

Correction: there are two builds from em in the lego learn.

No builds from me this episode. I was too busy helping make sure this episode happened via various testing, prepping the next episodes, making grids and tracking stuff, etc. Luckily in a few episodes are my major builds. Honestly, my stuff for this episode was much more behind the scenes with no builds that I can't exactly talk about. But I was in charge of the emergency pause button, so if anybody got too close to the machine when they weren't supposed to, I press pause to make sure the shaking doesn't happen. Clearly an important job. So making sure this episode happened is great. I think I ate chinese food for my dinner this night(s)?

As a side note, Jen or Susan (not sure which one, I honestly don't remember peoples names on this show, it's easier for me in this specific department to not remember, and with covid things involved, masks hid people's faces) complemented a Bionicle meme shirt I was wearing. She immediately knew what my shirt with saying something like "I love Bionicle." And we had a good thirty second conversation on Bionicle before cameras rolled. Bionicle lives! On my shirt.

1 hour ago, Chiaroscuro said:

Is the show biweekly now?

There was no episode this week, and it seems to hava a gap between episodes 5 and 6 as well.

There's just a lot of stuff going on between shows.  Later in the month there's the olympics so i think that means a 2 week break.