Sign in to follow this  
macaron35

ship engine design

Hi everyone,

just wondering, most engines look the same on the SW ships.

Would it be easy to adopt this kind of design ? or is it unaccurate in the SW universe ?

thanks

A-10 Asimov

1 hour ago, macaron35 said:

most engines look the same on the SW ships.

Where did you get that impression from?

If you look at the variety of SW designs, there are a lot of engines which are stylized similarly to this (some podracers for instance... or one could argue that even ships like Venator have somewhat similar feel to them)

This particular design (which btw evolves from this design by the same guy) looks fantastic, but the truth is that it still just mimics the general appearance of a somewhat stylized long radial jet engine. It seems that we (people) just tend to like it better than a plain dish with a glow inside, which is supposed to represent some ion engine. The truth is, however, that even in the vague terms of sci-fi realism, there is no need for having these long turbine-like chambers with tons of greebles to have a 'space engine' :D

I might have gone off to a tangent here though. I wanted to argue that not all of the SW ships have engines that look alike and that this style of engine is indeed sometimes used. The most characteristic feature (IMO) of this particular design is the angle of the 'flaps' on the end, which then form this sort of partial helix. I think that is not typical for SW :) But I don't think it would look too odd on a fictional SW universe model.

Beaware the huge gap between building such engine digitally and rendering it with all the fancy copper chrome elements, and trying to align all these obscure connections IRL :D

I think it looks impressive and it fits perfectly in SW world. Keep going!

Now you have to find a (huge) ship to put it on... :classic:

Edited by dvogon

Good lord that huge. The front curve and side greebling remind of Rey's speeder from force awakens. If I had to place the engine "nozzles" I'd actually point to the Jedi eta interceptors.

11 hours ago, PusH said:

Good lord that huge. The front curve and side greebling remind of Rey's speeder from force awakens. If I had to place the engine "nozzles" I'd actually point to the Jedi eta interceptors.

Yes, definitely

it could work well with Kylo Ren's Command Shuttle too

On 2/5/2020 at 5:36 AM, Hunter003 said:

That design is just incredible!!

On 2/7/2020 at 2:08 PM, dvogon said:

I think it looks impressive and it fits perfectly in SW world. Keep going!

Now you have to find a (huge) ship to put it on... :classic:

On 3/1/2020 at 5:19 AM, Mr_Good2 said:

Really beautiful!

7 hours ago, gotoAndLego said:

Holy cow, how large is your ship going to be?

3 hours ago, k3nshiin said:

*huh* WTF? This is awesome! I had to look twice if this was really lego

I really hope you guys realize that macaron35 wasn't the one who designed this model... The original designer's Flickr username is "noblebun". You can check out his other builds by clicking on the photo.