neonic

Manuals - couple of questions

I tried the search option but I couldn't find what I was looking for. I search on the internet but the sites I could find has dead links. So I have a few questions about making manuals.

- Where can I download the program? I like to try it.

- And I have seen people sell their manuals. How much is a reasonable price for it? I can imagine that a manual may cost more for a model with more bricks. So ... is there a kind of rule for it you can hold on? I mean like up to xxx bricks, that price, something like that?

You have to build the model digitally first, in other words you need a digital file and from that you make the building instruction (BI).

Programs? "Stud.io" which is on bricklink.com or LDRAW programs: LDCAD, MLCAD, LDVIEW, LPUB3D, etc.

All of these use the LDRAW library of parts files. Use Stud.io, LDCAD, or MLcad to create your digital file.

Stud.io has a "BI" software within it.

14 hours ago, neonic said:

So ... is there a kind of rule for it you can hold on?

There's no rule. That's what you do your market research on and decide on "placement" in terms of target demographics, pricing tiers, distribution methods and so on. Even the number of pieces doesn't matter. I mean you could have a hyper complex model on your hand that either nobody would be interested it or that would be extremely difficult to re-create due to which pieces it uses and then what? What would be the point if you price it at 80 Euro a pop as an expression of your effort when still nobody is buying it? You need to weigh those factors just as well as the actual size and complexity or in fact even more than those. Similarly you need to consider things like uniqueness and similar competing offerings. E.g. currently there's a ton of "Star Wars" related models on Rebrickable flooding the market, so even if you built the best ever Razorcrest ship from "The Mandalorian" your market would severely be limited by the fact that there are always alternate offerings that may be cheaper. You might want to look around there to get a feeling for what goes and what not on a more general level, BTW.

Mylenium