Sign in to follow this  
Pdaitabird

Tutorial: Vintage Passenger Wagon

After a recent trip to the local pick-a-brick wall, I found myself with a ton of 1x2x2/3 light bley curved slopes and set to work building an old-fashioned passenger wagon to accompany my recently renovated locomotive.

Vintage Passenger Wagon

I was quite pleased with the result, so I decided to build a second one and document the process for others. Please note that some parts used reflect my limited inventory and can be substituted.

Step 1Step 2Step 3Step 4Step 5Step 6Step 7Step 8Step 9

Here's a link to the Flickr album for reference. I'm undecided about red or dark red (or possibly brown) for the stripe - which one do you prefer? Thanks for looking and I hope this helps - feel free to post your modifications, improvements, and recolors here!

Soli Deo Gloria

I love your tutorials @Pdaitabird, and I am planning on adding your awesome passenger car design to my fleet, though in my Wild Western layout instead of a British one.

49489907027_ac50d013e7_z.jpg

In changing the UK-designed passenger car to a USA wild-west baggage car and two coaches, I added a clerestory skylight to each car, and refined the window arrangement, with the end balconies becoming pretty much one piece for simplicity. (The caboose is standard to almost all my Western trains, with the exception of a few cosmetic changes.) In addition, the train cars are now mostly blue to match the steam locomotive which is already 99% done.

Anyway, keep on making the tutorials, they are definitely helpful!

Edited by Murdoch17

Good looking passenger wagon. The interior reminds me of the heritage electric cars used on the Rhaetian Bahn from Davos to Filisur.

On 2/5/2020 at 10:43 AM, Murdoch17 said:

I love your tutorials @Pdaitabird, and I am planning on adding your awesome passenger car design to my fleet, though in my Wild Western layout instead of a British one.

49489907027_ac50d013e7_z.jpg

In changing the UK-designed passenger car to a USA wild-west baggage car and two coaches, I added a clerestory skylight to each car, and refined the window arrangement, with the end balconies becoming pretty much one piece for simplicity. (The caboose is standard to almost all my Western trains, with the exception of a few cosmetic changes.) In addition, the train cars are now mostly blue to match the steam locomotive which is already 99% done.

Anyway, keep on making the tutorials, they are definitely helpful!

Hey Murdoch, do you have an LDD (or similar) file for your cars? I'd like to add the baggage car, wagon and caboose to my old west train. Thanks!

On 2/7/2020 at 12:33 AM, Fingolfin said:

Hey Murdoch, do you have an LDD (or similar) file for your cars? I'd like to add the baggage car, wagon and caboose to my old west train. Thanks!

@Fingolfin I would have to ask the creator of the original model first before uploading the modified LDD file, as it's his work that inspired it... don't want to step on anyone's toes. Is that okay if I upload the LDD file for the model as shown @Pdaitabird?

@Murdoch17 @Fingolfin Just a heads up, I've discovered since the last post that my coaches as originally designed have trouble negotiating points and s-curves. I moved the wheelsets inward so that there are 6 studs in between them and that solved the problem. It looks like you might have already done this in the digital design; if so, you should be good to go. I may try to implement passive steering in the next few days to allow for a longer wheelbase.