Midlife-crisis

"Reverse engineering" Razor Crest MOC

this is just a great MOC!  I hope you will share digital instructions or files.  I see that you used LDD, I suggest you try "STUD.IO".  At this point it is far superior to the mythical but now old LDD.  look forward with more news on this wonderful project of yours.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/baciccia78/albums

On 4/5/2020 at 3:08 PM, gotoAndLego said:

The rear of the ship looks great. As far as the cockpit, a guy I've been following makes large scale airplanes and there might be something in there technique-wise you could use for the glass.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/madphysicist/

Thank you, but i´m not sure if this building technique would work on such a big area like the razor crest cockpit. Might look nervous then.

Thank you too @baciccia78 i also use Stud.io, but for some reason i like the "click" sound in LDD as feedback from the programm. But you are right Building Instruction wise, that stud.io is much better.

A picture with @mcphatty superb micro!

Minifigs still missing

microjdj48.jpg

Edited by Midlife-crisis
addin picture

Awesome work! I was considering my own version ages ago but never got around to it. I've come across various attempts of digital models of it over the past few months and suddenly these two fan works appeared recently - pretty close to perfect despite the lack of official reference material. Links are in the images. 

91256017_10216783786494555_6948633133554

hhficdptq7uzm2p4ta5i.jpg

Hopefully, it would not be considered too selfish to share this one here (and not create a separate topic... just yet):

49784479646_cf76c853a7_c.jpg

I've started this months ago, but this above mentioned fan created cross-section also gave me additional inspiration (as well as working from home office)... so the frame and exterior are almost complete now. It also seem to be quite different in approach to Richboyjhae's and Papaglop's.

Edited by WickNole

@WickNole I'm happy to see more people tackling the ship at this larger scale! One can appreciate the vastly different build styles between yours, the OP's, and others. I'll admit, I'm happy to see someone utilizing the curved bricks around the engine cowling. 

Hi @WickNole thanks fpr stopping by!

Your Razor looks very good so far. The cockpitsection locks very smooth. I just have one thing that triggers me a bit, the tail. Your frontsection seems to be 8Studs wide, your tail is 10studs wide and maybe one or 2Studs too wide. But nevertheless i´m really looking forward to see your final result and the rest of the ship!! :pir-huzzah2:

8 minutes ago, Midlife-crisis said:

Your frontsection seems to be 8Studs wide, your tail is 10studs wide and maybe one or 2Studs too wide.

I was using this one as the reference:

49785314622_a1495e0282_c.jpg

Scaling was made using this image - https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EJ2jBdiXkAA8-co.jpg:large - and then LEGO MF model as basis.

There is also this 3D model available - https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/82cbac89-cefe-4eba-8868-3e8506cf8d67/Mandalorian-Razor-Crest and the tail section looks narrower here, yes.

In any case I should be able to make it narrower by 2 studs quite easily. Will definitely consider this... as seems like the original reference I've used was indeed too wide. :wink: Thank you for noticing this.

@Midlife-crisis Have you tried using this "windscreen" n.16477 for the cabin? Putting a light gray sticker on the back might not be bad and the shape looks the right one ...

Edited by baciccia78

Hello @baciccia78, yes i have considered the Slave One Windscreen - i have the Slave one and did some tests with it. the shape is good no question. My conclution was:

overall a little bit to big for that scale

multiple stickers would be needed on both ends. Front and top. And also the stripes.

less space inside, in the front area for the cockpit decoration

visible gaps in the front section due to the different angles.

On 3/3/2020 at 16:19, Midlife-crisis said:

grazie! La mia soluzione non è perfetta per certo, ma dovrebbe apparire migliore delle cerniere. Le parti necessarie sono ordinate. Oggi ho lavorato sui motori, quasi finito. ~ 800 parti per motore e sono pesanti! Avrà bisogno di un supporto aggiuntivo all'interno della struttura per evitare la flessione. Inizieremo ora con i pannelli circostanti.

20200303_160350t9kk9.jpg

The construction of the engines has been particularly successful well done. I can't understand the technique you used for the back ... Can you give me some advice to be able to make them like yours? Thanks

Hi,

sorry for the late reply. I also used a rigide hose on the backside.

The green Part is Part Nr. 11476 as is not available in LDD. You will need a bunch of 4081.

Hope the picture makes it easier for you.

thumbnail_ay4kia.jpg

Edited by Midlife-crisis

9 hours ago, Midlife-crisis said:

On 3/3/2020 at 4:19 PM, Midlife-crisis said:

thanks a lot :D

Hello there!

i haven´t changed anything yet, maybe i´ll find some time during winter. Some small details of the cockpit roof and a little less gaps in the back covers would be nice.

Still waiting for Baby Yoda and a Beskar Mando but i think Lego will produce one or more sets soon.

The latest shots of the Razor Crest can be found here:

Flickr Album

Best regards MC

Edited by Midlife-crisis

Well, a little late to the party but I do look forward into the end result of this. Looking like it holds promise !